Wiki Posts
Search

Accident in GF

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
... there is a bike based NHS paramedic service always on duty in T5 (and T3) ....
Very good to know this, thank you.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:51 am
Suspended

Good luck for your son.

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 8, 2018 at 8:00 am Reason: Content removed in line with mod message posted immediately below
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:52 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, in situations like this, it is usually customary and nothing less than basic manners to have at least a degree of sympathy for any parent that finds themselves in this situation.

Sadly, two posts have had to be removed by the mod team that did not conform to this societal norm.

We do not wish to have to remove more - please concentrate on providing the OP with the advice sought rather than cast wholly inappropriate aspersions and judgments.

/mod
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
OP, I do hope your son recovers quickly and without any complications. I am also extremely impressed as if this happened in a US lounge the topic of “Lawsuit” would have probably been floated in the second or third post.

Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Hello thank you for all the responses and support, really appreciated. It is just past 3pm now, almost 9 hours past the accident and we are finally out of the second hospital. We are exhausted and hungry so having a meal now.

The doctors advice is that whilst the burns are superficial, there is a risk of complications and infections which therefore makes flying to foreign destinations that we are not familiar with, a risk. We have been asked to come back in in four days and the medical team can then reassess him and take a view on wether we can travel. He is wrapped up in massive bandages around his whole head and is in no state to travel.

I think I will wait until I get home before I contact the Heathrow manager and see what we can do. We will be missing the positioning flight to AMS, one night hotel in AMS, the AMS-LHR-HKG-BKK legs, and five days worth of prepaid hotel booking in BKK. I do not think we will be going to BKK anymore, but we do have a separate HKG-KHH booking that we need to be on as missus and son should be there for 6 weeks over summer to visit family. All of the legs are in CE/CW, and (my) return long haul is in F. Is there any chance that they can replace the AMS-LHR-HKG-BKK with a single LHR-HKG flight so that we can continue with the rest of our trip?

Regarding the accident, my gripe is the lack of action from the kitchen staff or any others. If they couldn’t help then they should have informed someone else quickly. The layout with customers crossing into direct paths with kitchen staff around a blind corner is also terrible and is an accident waiting to happen, which is also confirmed by the staff that I spoke with. They really need to address this.

I am also very grateful to the gentlemen at the next table who bought us the ice bucket and also went to the kitchen to get us an ice pack without us asking. It was very difficult to think rationally during moments of panic. I am also not sure if I acted quick enough myself and put enough water and ice on him, as I didn’t see the actual accident so wasn’t sure how bad it was. Hopefully he will be ok.

Thank you again for everyone’s advice and support.
cruisr likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by benjai
I think I will wait until I get home before I contact the Heathrow manager and see what we can do. We will be missing the positioning flight to AMS, one night hotel in AMS, the AMS-LHR-HKG-BKK legs, and five days worth of prepaid hotel booking in BKK. I do not think we will be going to BKK anymore, but we do have a separate HKG-KHH booking that we need to be on as missus and son should be there for 6 weeks over summer to visit family. All of the legs are in CE/CW, and (my) return long haul is in F. Is there any chance that they can replace the AMS-LHR-HKG-BKK with a single LHR-HKG flight so that we can continue with the rest of our trip?
You can ask but it seems a bit of stretch to me, to be honest. I can see BA being flexible by a day or two, but this seems rather different, essentially changing an AMS-BKK flight to a LHR to HKG flight in order to meet a service to Taiwan (Kaohsiung). I would certainly ask, but I am not optimistic. This seems to me to be an insurance claim, with a view to not being too out of pocket for the LHR-Taiwan sectors.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:15 am

I'm so sorry to hear this, hope your son is on the mend.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Regarding the accident, my gripe is the lack of action from the kitchen staff or any others. If they couldn’t help then they should have informed someone else quickly. The layout with customers crossing into direct paths with kitchen staff around a blind corner is also terrible and is an accident waiting to happen, which is also confirmed by the staff that I spoke with. They really need to address this.
Perhaps I am misinterpreting - are you saying a staff member collided with your son?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You can ask but it seems a bit of stretch to me, to be honest. I can see BA being flexible by a day or two, but this seems rather different, essentially changing an AMS-BKK flight to a LHR to HKG flight in order to meet a service to Taiwan (Kaohsiung). I would certainly ask, but I am not optimistic. This seems to me to be an insurance claim, with a view to not being too out of pocket for the LHR-Taiwan sectors.
ok this is what I thought so too. I will ask and see what they can do. Thank you cws.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dambus

Perhaps I am misinterpreting - are you saying a staff member collided with your son?
Hello yes sorry I wasn’t clear in my original post. But yes, kitchen staff opened the door carrying hot porridge, then walked around the corner straight into my son. Then seemingly did nothing apart from trying to clean up the mess whilst me and neighbouring tables were trying to help my screaming son.

I considered taking photos of the layout of the kitchen/tables area but I thought it was pretty static and obvious plus I was busy worrying about my son.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Hello yes sorry I wasn’t clear in my original post. But yes, kitchen staff opened the door carrying hot porridge, then walked around the corner straight into my son. Then seemingly did nothing apart from trying to clean up the mess whilst me and neighbouring tables were trying to help my screaming son.
If the BaxterStorey staff member collided with your son, led to the porridge spillage and assuming they realised they had hurt a child in the process, then that's very concerning if all they did was wipe the floor rather than attending to the boy. That would be beyond unconscionable.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Sorry to hear this; a horrible accident on the first day of your holiday which should be the most exciting day.

I hope your lad has a fast and pain free recovery.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:54 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I assume you have travel insurance? I'd say you should be covered by any decent policy to get your pre-paid expenses back. Then rebook the later flights if BA won't pay ball .
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
What a horrible accident. I can only image how upsetting and traumatising it must have been for you all. I wish the little one a speedy recovery.

I am no insurance or legal expert, but I would image that - should the spillage have been caused by a collision with a staff member (regardless of whose fault it may be) - there would be some sort of liability insurance in place to cover for this sort of accidents.

Last edited by ringingup; Jul 8, 2018 at 10:57 am
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I’m so sorry to hear about this. Whilst I can’t offer any advice, I hope that your son recovers fully, and that BA somehow manage to put this right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.