Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will Premium Reward Seats be Sparse after iberia Avios "Giveaway"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

I have been reading that Iberia intend to honour their great Avios "giveaway" promotion from last weekend. Does that mean it will suddenly become a lot more difficult to find premium Avios rewards? I would expect most people will want to fly at least business with their 90,000 avios - I would.

As a side note it, in my view, this very generous Iberia promotion makes BA look so bad for cancelling the TLV "mistake" flights just weeks ago. I did not book one so I was not impacted. However, there the price difference with in tens of £'s in economy . Yet Iberia can giveaway hundreds of £'s of avios without even having to set foot on a plane.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
It wasn't a "mistake" Iberia knew what they were doing. Unlike BA.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I'd love to see the number on how many people took advantage.

Yes, it's unusual in that you have to spend it by December unlike all normal avios which are mostly horded. but given the range of opportunities to spend (Lucky was using a AA transcon as an example) and the fact that travel doesn't need to be completed by December, I don't think we will see a depletion of award space as a result of this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by chris1979
I'd love to see the number on how many people took advantage.

Yes, it's unusual in that you have to spend it by December unlike all normal avios which are mostly horded. but given the range of opportunities to spend (Lucky was using a AA transcon as an example) and the fact that travel doesn't need to be completed by December, I don't think we will see a depletion of award space as a result of this.
There are some figures flying around in the Iberia forum , hard to know what to believe but in the tens of thousands. I think there will be an impact on certain routes in the business cabin , I don’t see how it can be otherwise, For example, there are reports of the deal being wildly popular in Argentina so I would expect if that’s true for those routes, which are relatively low capacity, to become scarce seat wise.

To be honest I haven’t looked into it in detail but I think the cancellation conditions are different between Iberia and other OW carriers for the avios redemptions so that may affect which routes and carriers become harder.

Last edited by Woodbinerich; Jul 3, 2018 at 4:49 pm
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jday
It wasn't a "mistake" Iberia knew what they were doing. Unlike BA.
Compared to things BA labels as a "mistake" and unilaterally cancels - this looks like a mistake to me. For example someone forgot to include a minimum ticket price of say euro 250 for the avios to be awarded.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by travellertales
Compared to things BA labels as a "mistake" and unilaterally cancels - this looks like a mistake to me. For example someone forgot to include a minimum ticket price of say euro 250 for the avios to be awarded.
We’re into the realms of speculation here, but agree. I think they decided quite early to suck it up and make the best of it. It might actually turn into a mild win win by the law of unintended consequences as they may end up retaining a significant minority of new customers who are able to be a little pragmatic about the customer service and IT.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:49 pm

It might be negligence or stupidity (or ingenuity unknown), but it ain't a mistake.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
they were given several opportunities to clarify and didn't narrow it. i doubt they worked out the details well enough and how much uptake their might be. more like incompetency rather than a mistake of someone putting in the wrong fare, i am not sure there are any parallels to mistake fares with this IB promoition.

in answer ti your original question, no more impact than say the recent fuel charge settlement or the millions of avios given in various promotions all the time.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:57 pm

I think there are some parallels. At the end of the day both airlines probably put something out into the public domain for customers that didn’t have the right checks and balances. In both cases , customers then went and bought flights as a consequence of the incentives offered.

I do agree that the ‘mistake’ if any from Iberia was most likely along the lines you outlined.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I'm suspicious of the timing next to the BA 2billion Avios payout for the US class action. If Iberia were to generate a ton of Avios right now, and earn a bunch of flight revenue doing it, when would they have to pay the bank of IAG for the Avios? Is it possibly the case that, if a devaluation was down the road, Iberia wouldn't be quite as out of pocket as it might seem they are right now?

And why December the 1st to redeem the points by? That strikes me as surprisingly arbitrary. Is it that, after that, the value of an Avios point will be different?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by armouredant
And why December the 1st to redeem the points by? That strikes me as surprisingly arbitrary. Is it that, after that, the value of an Avios point will be different?
Surely if they are going to devalue on 1st December they would want you to redeem after this date?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
There were a few bizarre elements here, apart from the deal itself. One was IBs unwillingness to publish even the vaguest rules on their website. The other was the enthusiasm of the marketing team to hit the phones to people like me when we suggested people be wary to tell us all was well, and then to provide selected TandCs to me which were not made available to the public.

There are still plenty of people who will get nothing because they were not in a participating country. IB may claim that, as the offer did not show on the website of those countries, it isn't their problem.

if IB is paying Avios Group £60 per ticket booked, as is likely, I will be expecting Drew Crawley to send me a free Mercedes for my part in helping him trigger every bonus metric in his contract :-)
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
@Raffles, hurry up and publish that IB+ redemption article so I can get booking
Woodbinerich likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
@Raffles, hurry up and publish that IB+ redemption article so I can get booking
There are already full articles on redeeming on Iberia on HfP - take a look at those. I don’t imagine Raffles will be adding much new.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
There are already full articles on redeeming on Iberia on HfP - take a look at those. I don’t imagine Raffles will be adding much new.
Indeed ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.