Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Choosing seats in Business Class--Does it really cost me that much?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing seats in Business Class--Does it really cost me that much?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Globaliser
One of the results is that we keep coming back to BA. It must therefore be a really dumb policy. Obvs.Do you remember how it was in the previous iteration of the policy? Those who now have to pay a fee couldn't select a seat at all before OLCI opened. And yet the CW cabins were often almost completely pre-allocated by the time that OLCI opened.

That is how many seats BA would have to save for full-fare and higher-tier frequent flyers. The net result is that those who can now pay to select almost all CW seats would be restricted to choosing from only a small proportion of the seats in the CW cabin. And once they were gone, they'd be gone; they'd be waiting until OLCI.And that's before you ask the question why the complaining passenger booked BA to begin with, when they're clearly not even a moderately-regular BA or OW passenger.

I think that the last time we had this discussion, the complaining passenger was very frank. Normally he'd book UA. But this time, UA was much more expensive than BA. So he booked BA and saved a shedload of money. And then complained about BA's seating fee.

I think that in those circumstances, you'd have to regard "free seat pre-allocation is a must in business class" as something akin to a tenet of faith. There are plenty of us who like it - and we are the ones who are the regular customers.
They would not need to block that many. The point is to block the attractive seats so they are selected mainly by the high value flyers, and not scooped up by leisure flyers on I booking class booking almost a year in advance.

The super attractive seats are maybe 5% or less of the cabin, the attractive seats maybe another 10% and then maybe 20% to 30% worth prioritising to high value flyers. The rest are pretty much same same. Once enough high value flyers has taken the attractivegood seats, and by your example that will happen before check in on a lot of flights, there is no need to have a block on the rest as they are mostly same same.

As someone pointed out, what I see as attractive is not necessarily what another flyer see as attractive, so despite being Emerald I may not even select one of the blocked seats.

By any model, if I book two days in advance the likelihood of getting a really good seat is very slim. But by allowing the I flyers to pay they way to it rather than blocking until OLCI,, BA may actually make it even slimmer.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for optimising the likelihood for high value flyers to get the better seats. I am just saying that it can be achieved equally well without the charge. Or mayve even better as the the leisure flyer booking a year in advance do not get the option to select the best seats, which they do on BA if they are willing to pay.

​​​​​​
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
I don't understand the ire here, and I say this as a non one world status holder. If I am spending 10K on a ticket, a few hundred more wont hurt, could be the alternative with free selection is more than fare and seat fee combined. I think one J seat is
not so different from another, but people who are regulars will of course have their favorites and it makes sense for BA ( or any airline ) to try to keep these available.

I think its an excellent idea and does not put the singe traveller at much disadvantage, if travelling as a couple it might be an annoyance but that's all
The last phrase of your last sentence tells it all. Why would a company strive to annoy the person who literally just handed them at least $20K (or more, as a family) when they could've just said $21K and no annoyance? But this has been hashed and re-hashed, so we don't need to re-re-rehash it. But the ire seems quite easy to understand, even if one doesn't experience it firsthand.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Deckard
I'm struggling on which seat to choose coming back from BOS as it's a 380 and I've not flown one before.
A start might be this thread: BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Don't get me wrong, I am all for optimising the likelihood for high value flyers to get the better seats. I am just saying that it can be achieved equally well without the charge.​​​​​​
I've seen on other airlines what can happen in other models: zero choice, even if there are seats reserved for higher-tier passengers and even if one of those is what you get given.

And when there is such a divergence of personal preference as to what is a good seat and what is not, it's very hard to insist that the majority of seats in the cabin are "same same".
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
So weird, I had found one thread which discussed it but I came away confused. This one seems clearer - thank you!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Originally Posted by markle
Sorry to disappoint you, but Terminal E doesn't have PreCheck, unless things have changed in the last 2-3 weeks. You use the same lines as everyone else, but you do get a little stamp on your BP - show this to the person at the x-ray and you'll be able to keep your shoes on, and be taken through the metal detector rather than the backscatter X-ray.
You are (of course) right. Just A, B and C. Oh well at least it should work on the AA internals and I'll get to try the Centurion Lounge at LGA and PHL
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
These threads always remind me why we choose to retain BAEC status by flying BA (and OW partners) to the exclusion of all other carriers.

Free seat selection at the time of booking is a nice reward for our loyalty.
PJSMITH0 and AmaaiZeg like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
1st class passengers that book into J or C onto BA connecting services can select seats without charge
I never have been able to, can always choose my F seat but have to pay for seat selection on connecting flights. No status with Oneworld though...
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I've seen on other airlines what can happen in other models: zero choice, even if there are seats reserved for higher-tier passengers and even if one of those is what you get given.

And when there is such a divergence of personal preference as to what is a good seat and what is not, it's very hard to insist that the majority of seats in the cabin are "same same".
Mostly same same. Of course there are differences, but as you can't account for everyone's preferences there is no need to block those seats as the rush will not be for these seats.

But you miss an important point, the BA policy does potentially reduce the likelihood of the good seats being available by monetising them on cheap tickets, as opposed to only allowing them for higher value flyers.

It is really hard to prove either way which one is the more efficient way, as it will be based on random sample experience. Your experience is that BA works best, my exoerice is different.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm tight fisted by nature so have never paid for early seat selection. Despite that I've always found at OLCI the wife and I have been given seats together.....darn it.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
But you miss an important point, the BA policy does potentially reduce the likelihood of the good seats being available by monetising them on cheap tickets, as opposed to only allowing them for higher value flyers.
I agree - the previous iteration of the policy was better for higher-tier passengers.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:35 am

Does BA charge more for a Business class seat reservation than one in Economy?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm tight fisted by nature so have never paid for early seat selection. Despite that I've always found at OLCI the wife and I have been given seats together.....darn it.
Here lies the genius of this policy - it creates a worry that monetizes something (guaranteeing sitting together) that would very likely happen anyway if you didn't buy it. It also makes some people fly BA more than they otherwise would to get the the loyalty privileges to guarantee something that would likely happen anyway. And for those of us who get priority privileges anyway, we get a warm fuzzy feeling that we are getting something that infrequent flyers world not get for free (even though they probably would if they just waited until check in).

Although the policy doesn't seem customer friendly its easy to see how it works for BA - The ancillary revenue and loyalty created presumably outweigh the negative articles and forum posts quite easily. BA showed with it's reversal of HBO seat policy for golds (and silvers?) that it will change a policy that causes negative results for the company, this one has been around long enough for us to be pretty sure it is working positively for BA.
HIDDY, Kgmm77 and T8191 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
As long as BA remains a relative outlier among major carriers when it comes to free advance seat selection in premium cabins, occasional customers will continue to be surprised and disappointed that it happens. Not everyone will have researched this into oblivion. D (and R) class fares can be pretty expensive sometimes, I can understand the resentment of people expecting them to be inclusive of advance seat selection.
Grog and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by jonjparr
Does BA charge more for a Business class seat reservation than one in Economy?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.