Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA emails and grammar

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
Originally Posted by hsmall
The second of the OP's options is what I think we are moving towards. We (a large international law firm) have just revised our style guide on salutation to take account of the fact that increasing numbers of people are objecting to the assumption of binary gender designations. We don't use gender specific salutations (Dear Sir, Dear Madam, Dear Sirs) or salutations which imply that there is a binary gender divide (Dear Sir or Madam). For individuals we say "Dear GivenName FamilyName". For other partnerships we name it: "Dear [e.g] Slaughter and May" or for companies and entities the name of the entity plus "fao": "Dear [e.g.] Acme Widgets PLC fao [the Directors] [John Smith]".

Non gender-specific academic or other titles (e.g. "Dr") remain acceptable but we do not use them by default.

I believe that that is the direction of travel and I have not noticed any particular pushback from elsewhere in the world yet.

Others are right: it's not grammar but style and courtesy. And YMMV.
It's the same here I work as well, we're using the full name most of the time. If they've written me to begin with I'll usually apply their way of addressing me to the letter back. I'm in academia, by the way

Things would be a lot easier if we had a title or way of addressing people that conveyed politeness without all of the sex/gender/marriage/academic baggage (and anything I might be missing. Clergy? Royalty of various sorts?)

The "Dear First Lastname" thing sounds awkward to me.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Not realated to salutations, rather to general bad spelling and grammar -

Received today from BA Holidays

" The Westin Grand Munich have advised that sauna and changing rooms will be closed due to maintenance work. Noise is not to be accpeted as the spa is located on basement level. The Westin Grand has arranged for you to be able use the swimming pool at the sheraton Munich Arabellapark Hotel opposite the hotel. "
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by smc333

The "Dear First Lastname" thing sounds awkward to me.
Agreed and, come to think of it, 95% of our emails to specific individuals will be to "Dear [GivenName]". It's almost only emails to people we are communicating with for the first time that will be "Dear [GivenName FamilyName]".
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Back in the days of the “Troubles” we were asked [ordered?] not to use our rank in correspondence, on the basis that the nasty men would discover where we lived. So I became a ‘Mr’ some 4 decades ago. The idea of flaunting my rank in retirement, despite being so entitled, doesn’t register. But please do NOT call me by my first name unless we’re actually friends or very close acquaintances.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by T8191
Back in the days of the “Troubles” we were asked [ordered?] not to use our rank in correspondence, on the basis that the nasty men would discover where we lived. So I became a ‘Mr’ some 4 decades ago. The idea of flaunting my rank in retirement, despite being so entitled, doesn’t register. But please do NOT call me by my first name unless we’re actually friends or very close acquaintances.
I agree. I personally never would (mis-) use a given name unless we had met and I expressly or impliedly I had permission. It's just that in my current job (tech lawyer dealing with tech people) first names are usual on the slightest of acquaintance.

As I am sure Air Chief Marshal T8191 would agree.....

Last edited by hsmall; Jul 6, 2018 at 7:20 am
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

*ahem* ... only one 'L' in Marshal

Just looked at my medical file ... I see I am always addressed as 'Mr' in correspondence, despite the intimacy I have had with my Consutant Urologist (who also signs himself as 'Mr').
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
I have received the following various forms of salutation in BA or BAEC emails:

Dear Steve
Dear Steve Takeiteasy
Dear Mr Takiteasy
Hi Steve Takiteasy

I am not the top of the class when grammar is concerned but feel #2 and 4 are incorrect? Seems quite poor from a British company.

if you are really bothered by this, have you considered whether you have chosen the right handle for yourself?
IAN-UK likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:50 am

*ahem* ... only one 'L' in Marshal
Sorry. Corrected.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Well, being correct, my GP is Doctor E but my Consultant is Mr H.

I do call my GP by his first name though, as we have a long-standing relationship!
My consultant went by Professor- I don’t know where that comes in the pecking order.
I’ve often been tempted to give myself a title
Although c-w-s has inspired me to consider comrade !
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have several titles bestowed by others, most of which are unprintable.

I did purchase a title, but iWife won’t let me use it!!
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Dear Comrade,
It has come to our attention that you read The Grauniad.

As we are a profit motivated Company, we do not allow Grauniad readers to travel with us. Neither do we allow Millionaire Grauniad writers to travel with us. None of this "To (yn) be, or not To(yn)bee. stuff.

We do hope you understand our decision. Whilst it might not be the outcome that you wanted, I am sure that you will understand that we must treat all customers fairly.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:38 pm

I have several titles bestowed by others, most of which are unprintable.

I did purchase a title, but iWife won’t let me use it!!
well at least we now know that you served our country - for which our sincere thanks btw - in the rank of Squadron Leader or above (according to Debrett):-

Originally Posted by Debrett's Forms of Address
Other officers of the rank of squadron leader and above may use, and be addressed by, their rank after being placed on the retired list.

It is official practice for the Ministry of Defence to add the abbreviation ‘retd’ after a retired officer’s name, although this is not strictly necessary.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hsmall
well at least we now know that you served our country - for which our sincere thanks btw - in the rank of Squadron Leader or above (according to Debrett):-
You are most kind, Sir. Yes, indeed I am an "or above", as is my wife
hsmall likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mrandery
Not realated to salutations, rather to general bad spelling and grammar -

Received today from BA Holidays

" The Westin Grand Munich have advised that sauna and changing rooms will be closed due to maintenance work. Noise is not to be accpeted as the spa is located on basement level. The Westin Grand has arranged for you to be able use the swimming pool at the sheraton Munich Arabellapark Hotel opposite the hotel. "
A mildly interesting grammar point here: Is it 'the Westin Grand Munich have advised ...' as in the 1st sentence, or 'the Westin Grand has arranged ...' as in the 3rd sentence?

Presumably the awful typo. 'accpeted' in the 2nd sentence was meant to be 'expected' (although the writer may have been trying to type 'accepted' in error). Of course 'sheraton' should have been capitalized.

Very sloppy.

PS 'Capitalized' is a perfectly correct British English spelling of the word (as is 'capitalised'), despite what the spellchecker programs might suggest. If you disagree, see you in OMNI.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Up In The Air
PS 'Capitalized' is a perfectly correct British English spelling of the word (as is 'capitalised'), despite what the spellchecker programs might suggest. If you disagree, see you in OMNI.
Indeed. There isn't always the luxury of choice in -se or -ze, but where there is English-english usage tends to prefer -se. Sometimes forcefully

Which is odd in a way because Americans simply preserve an archaicism standard in 17th century english.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.