Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does upgrade pricing follow sales pricing?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL
Does upgrade pricing follow sales pricing?

I’m booked on an EDI-LGW-MCO in WT+ for a conference in January. It’s booked in T, and whilst I would have preferred CW, I could get WT+ for just under £980 whilst CW was going to be well over £3000. Of course I am now regretting this decision, so in MMB I have clicked on the Upgrade My Flight button and the estimate for this is, not surprisingly, about £2150. I can certainly manage WT+ there, and flew back from LAX in WT+ last year so I’m struggling to justify that price of upgrade for a shorter flight.

My question is, if there is another Luxury Sale between now and January that would mean that CW was for sale between £1500 and £2300 on those flights, does it follow that the upgrade to my existing booking would also decrease in price by a similar amount?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by JP Flyer
My question is, if there is another Luxury Sale between now and January that would mean that CW was for sale between £1500 and £2300 on those flights, does it follow that the upgrade to my existing booking would also decrease in price by a similar amount?
For that kind of upgrade, yes. It looks to me like you're just being quoted a fare rules upgrade, which consists of the difference between the WT+ and CW fares plus the change fee applicable to your WT+ ticket. So if there is a sale and if in the sale you could buy the CW ticket for the same flight(s) at a lower amount, then it would follow that the fare difference for an upgrade would reduce by the same amount too.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL
Thank you Globaliser, I was hoping that might be the case. There may be a sale in the next six months.

Before posting I read through all of the POUG thread, before I realised that this wasn’t a POUG situation because it is a connecting flight. In fact, because I live 35 miles from EDI, I’m not sure I’ve ever been offered a POUG.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by JP Flyer
Before posting I read through all of the POUG thread, before I realised that this wasn’t a POUG situation because it is a connecting flight. In fact, because I live 35 miles from EDI, I’m not sure I’ve ever been offered a POUG.
I think you'd know if you were being offered a POUG. IME, it's usually designed to attract your attention by being distinctly flagged as a special offer upgrade. If it doesn't say that, it's very likely not to be a POUG.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 4:58 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Just upgrade at the airport, it'll be around £400-500

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.