Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

7 hour LHR T5 Layover: Concorde Room or Sofitel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

7 hour LHR T5 Layover: Concorde Room or Sofitel?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ringingup
This is surprising, as it contradicts the advice that has been given here several times.
And I've been trying to correct this in a number of posts (and have vaguely given up!). Visiting T5 is different, but if visiting T3 you do not need a T3 boarding pass to enter airside, if on an international connection (and DUB counts as international in this context). So long as you go airside to T3 directly after arrival into any LHR terminal, then you don't need a boarding pass. You will be asked for a boarding pass at security in T3, but it's ok to say "I'm going to the lounges/shops/whatever". Now there are a number of reports that the oneworld lounges in T3 don't care which terminal you use (the staff may not be aware themselves of the myriad options), nevertheless in theory you could be denied admission to these lounges. You would be OK for the paid-for lounges however. Personally I wouldn't bother due to the hassle and the potential risk of being denied lounge access but at least on paper it can be done.

HAL put up signs at Flight Connections advertising the facilities in the other terminals.
ringingup and wantan like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by ringingup

This is surprising, as it contradicts the advice that has been given here several times.
For years the rules were clear that you could only access the lounges in the terminal from which you are departing. I’ve seen quite a number of reports, however, including the one directly above this post, that this is no longer the case.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
I can confirm that I did this just recently when I had left my suit carrier at reception in the CX lounge when departing for HEL. I actually returned from GOT into T5 and nipped over to T3 using the airside bus connection and was allowed access to T3 with a boarding pass for T5. I didn’t have a huge amount of time so after collecting the suits visited Qantas gin bar for 1 before taking airside bus back to T5.

Regards

DtB
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
The lights in the cabanas don't turn off, so if you do go there, bring your eye mask...
You can turn off the lights. There are, IIRC, 10 (or is it 12?) different light settings for the cabana - one of them is darkness!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
So, I am taking the suggestion to go into London! Too many here said the CCR is too small and boring for a stay of that length. And while the hotel option seems good, the reviews on TripAdvisor say it's often overbooked with no room actually available. Since many of you said go into town, a London based colleague has booked us tea at Fortnum & Mason (181 Piccadilly) at 3:45 PM (no other slot available). So here is my plan:

1. Go to the arrivals lounge for a shower and cup of coffee and hang out till 2 PM.
2. Car to Fortnum & Mason at 2 PM.
3. Hang with friend from 3 to 5 PM.
4. Car back to LHR at 5 PM.
5. Arrive LHR at 6 PM.
5. Wheels up at 7:30 PM, dinner and sleep onboard.

Thoughts? Thanks so much for your abundant replies; you guys rock.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Babu
5. Arrive LHR at 6 PM.
Nice idea!

Only one alarm bell: on what day of the week are you trying to get from Fortums to T5 in an hour at 5 p.m.?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I agree, it could end up being a bit tight.
This is my neck of the woods, so forgive the additional advice,
If Fortnums wont budge on the time, you could try an alternative tea spot nearby (better actually - IMO the best in London and an interesting building) like the Lanesborough at 3pm to make things less rushed. It's also marginally closer to Heathrow, without taking your friend too far from the original idea.
If you end up sticking to the plan, and want to go in slightly earlier, the Royal Academy is just opposite Fortnums. The annual summer exhibition is on and defo worth a visit.
Also the shopping around there (Jermyn Street, the arcades etc) is nice. Make sure you check out Paxton and Whitfield for the cheese. There's a long running thread on transporting cheese by air here.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
So, I am taking the suggestion to go into London! Too many here said the CCR is too small and boring for a stay of that length. And while the hotel option seems good, the reviews on TripAdvisor say it's often overbooked with no room actually available. Since many of you said go into town, a London based colleague has booked us tea at Fortnum & Mason (181 Piccadilly) at 3:45 PM (no other slot available). So here is my plan:

1. Go to the arrivals lounge for a shower and cup of coffee and hang out till 2 PM.
2. Car to Fortnum & Mason at 2 PM.
3. Hang with friend from 3 to 5 PM.
5. Arrive LHR at 6 PM.
5. Wheels up at 7:30 PM, dinner and sleep onboard.

Thoughts? Thanks so much for your abundant replies; you guys rock.
Three hours in the Arrivals Lounge? That is an awful long time to be in there, I wouldn't want to spend more than 45 minutes in there - and that includes breakfast and a shower!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Seems like a good plan. The arrivals lounge is fine but could get boring after an hour or 2 so maybe leave an hour earlier and go for a walk in green park, visit the royal academy or somewhere else close to F&M, you are right in the centre there so lots of options.

(agree an hour to get to heathrow in rush hour traffic might be a bit edgy, what time is your flight? You might want to consider getting the bakerloo line from Piccadilly Circus two stops to Paddington and take the Heathrow Express - no the most pleasant experience (the bakerloo line at that time) but likely to be less risky than driving during rush hour. Or take the Piccadilly line the whole way from Green Park.

Last edited by RobDBA; Jun 29, 2018 at 6:10 am
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:07 am

Also, It's obviously not as comfortable, but that area of London is on the tube from Heathrow without need to change. The Piccadilly line train takes 52 minutes from T5 to Green Park, and you take traffic out of the mix.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I definitely wouldn't assume that it'll take only an hour to get to and from London.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
I agree, it could end up being a bit tight.
This is my neck of the woods, so forgive the additional advice,
If Fortnums wont budge on the time, you could try an alternative tea spot nearby (better actually - IMO the best in London and an interesting building) like the Lanesborough at 3pm to make things less rushed. It's also marginally closer to Heathrow, without taking your friend too far from the original idea.
If you end up sticking to the plan, and want to go in slightly earlier, the Royal Academy is just opposite Fortnums. The annual summer exhibition is on and defo worth a visit.
Also the shopping around there (Jermyn Street, the arcades etc) is nice. Make sure you check out Paxton and Whitfield for the cheese. There's a long running thread on transporting cheese by air here.
Just booked 3 PM at the Lanesborough! 4:30 PM car pick up to LHR. Thanks so much for your suggestion.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:32 am

Just booked 3 PM at the Lanesborough! 4:30 PM car pick up to LHR. Thanks so much for your suggestion.
FIngers crossed for a delicious visit to London! Please do feedback afterwards...
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by subject2load
The fact that you would actually have the cost re-imbursed makes this a no-brainer : Hotel, no question.

More than around two (three max) hours in a lounge - any lounge - and I’ve really had enough.
Lufthansa First Class Terminal might change your opinion.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by ckx2
Lufthansa First Class Terminal might change your opinion.
Even in the LH FCT, I was bored after 2 hours. Same happens when I’m in LX F lounge E Gates, which I use very frequently (based in ZRH).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.