Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First-timer in CW - 747 (MidJ)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Smile First-timer in CW - 747 (MidJ)

As a completely new member of FlyerTalk, and also a week from having having our first trip ever in CW (once in a lifetime - a 50th birthday for myself and my family) from LHR-LAS, I am curious about what I bet will be totally elementary for you:

- Will there be the "bedding-kit" even though it is a daytime flight?
- When you say that the IFE in the CW/747 is old - is it unusable for "spoiled" teenagers, so that they should download Netflix on iPads instead...?
- Can we count on getting snacks from the shelves for snacks (especially my son, who is picky and probably won't enjoy the meal....), or are they gone soon during the flight?

We will return from MIA-LHR after a long roadtrip, and understand that the 747 both ways will not be refurbished. We really look forward to NOT being in economy class for once, anyway :-)
Mordac likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Congratulations on your first CW flight, and first post. To answer your questions, yes there will be bedding, the entertainment should suffice, but I would recommend loading up an iPad anyway, as it is prone to failure, and the club kitchen leaves a lot to be desired - tell the kids to get in quickly if they are likely to want something and maybe take a few snacks with you just to be safe.

There’s a thread on here somewhere about everything to expect, but a top tip from me would be to make sure you ask for some champagne in the lounge (assuming you want to drink some), as it is kept hidden and only available on request in the BA lounge. However, more importantly, as you will be flying from T3, make sure you head to the Cathay or Qantas lounges instead, which are far superior. I believe you’ll be entitled to access the AA flagship lounge in Miami, which is also very nice, but I’ve no idea if that is physically practical or possible if your flight is with BA, I’m sure someone else would know though.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I hope the OP is heading for the upper deck seats?

Oh, and a warm welcome to the Forum, of course!
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome ElisabetOk, welcome to the BA board on Flyertalk, it's great to see you here, and it would also be good to hear more from you, particularly what your impressions are of the Club World flight to Vegas. Not everything that goes to Vegas needs to stay there!

The bedding will be provided on the seat as you arrive, you don't need to do anything about that. For the IFE, yes, best tell needy teens that it's just for displaying the moving map and that they best preload their gizmos accordingly. It may be they then find themselves lost in a movie but that will be a bonus. The Club Kitchen is laid out about 20 minutes after the desserts are served. It will have popcorn, fruit, crisps, chocolates (etc) in ti, plus perhaps something more substantial in the fridge section (yoghurt, sandwiches packs). The Club Kitchen tends to get hammered on LAS flights, so best get in early, even if that is encouraging the very same problem. If you are extra nice to the crew they may also get you a Magnums ice cream from economy.about an hour after the CW meal but you best ask for that. You may want to bring some treats with you for the picky offspring, you may as well get your trip off to a good start.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:03 am
Original Poster

We were noe able to get upper deck seats LHR-LAS, but we got upper deck MIA-LHR. So, on our one and (maybe only) CW trip, we get to compare :-)
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome ElisabetOk, welcome to the BA board on Flyertalk, it's great to see you here, and it would also be good to hear more from you, particularly what your impressions are of the Club World flight to Vegas. Not everything that goes to Vegas needs to stay there!

The bedding will be provided on the seat as you arrive, you don't need to do anything about that. For the IFE, yes, best tell needy teens that it's just for displaying the moving map and that they best preload their gizmos accordingly. It may be they then find themselves lost in a movie but that will be a bonus. The Club Kitchen is laid out about 20 minutes after the desserts are served. It will have popcorn, fruit, crisps, chocolates (etc) in ti, plus perhaps something more substantial in the fridge section (yoghurt, sandwiches packs). The Club Kitchen tends to get hammered on LAS flights, so best get in early, even if that is encouraging the very same problem. If you are extra nice to the crew they may also get you a Magnums ice cream from economy.about an hour after the CW meal but you best ask for that. You may want to bring some treats with you for the picky offspring, you may as well get your trip off to a good start.
Thank you for your welcome, and also thank you for all the info. Will for sure follow your tips, to make our travel with BA as good as it could be. We will not stay in Vegas, but drive all the way from Las Vegas to Key West, Florida. We just love road tripping in the US :-)
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cosmo74
Congratulations on your first CW flight, and first post. To answer your questions, yes there will be bedding, the entertainment should suffice, but I would recommend loading up an iPad anyway, as it is prone to failure, and the club kitchen leaves a lot to be desired - tell the kids to get in quickly if they are likely to want something and maybe take a few snacks with you just to be safe.

There’s a thread on here somewhere about everything to expect, but a top tip from me would be to make sure you ask for some champagne in the lounge (assuming you want to drink some), as it is kept hidden and only available on request in the BA lounge. However, more importantly, as you will be flying from T3, make sure you head to the Cathay or Qantas lounges instead, which are far superior. I believe you’ll be entitled to access the AA flagship lounge in Miami, which is also very nice, but I’ve no idea if that is physically practical or possible if your flight is with BA, I’m sure someone else would know though.
Thankyou for responding, and for the tips. We have always travelled low-cost, so the lounges will be new to us as well. Will for sure try the lounges that you recommended, and hope they are not too crowded.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Bronze. MLife Gold, Cunard Diamond, Total Rewards Diamond.
Go with an open mind and enjoy the experience ! A lot depends on the crew if they are good or perhaps not so good. As for the club kitchen, go take a look and grab what you want while its there. Its your first time, you might just be amazed at the choice...
Enjoy Las vegas , its an amazing place. Where are you staying in Sin City ?
But most of all Enjoy the experience. lm sure everyones first time in Club was amazing.
And when you return, we want to hear ALL about it.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I'm sure you and the family will have a great time in Club World ElizabetOK. It tends to be a tough audience here on the BA board so don't be put off reading some of the reports
My teenagers have all grown into twenty-somethings but they thoroughly enjoyed (and continue to enjoy) their Club World experiences courtesy of Dad's obscene historical avios balance, earned when flying longhaul was at least a monthly occurrence! We've actually bred 3 aviation snobs. Having flown Club World quite a few times, steerage seems almost inconceivable to them!
The IFE is passable and usually has a good selection of movies and mini-series. Mine always found at least a few hours worth to watch and often their ipads were unused.
The highlight was always the lounge so we have to be at the airport 3 hours before the flight. I haven't tried the Qantas lounge but like others, can highly recommend the Cathay one. I'm sure the family will find the noodle bar a novelty but mine were also just as happy in the BA lounge. Feel free to try them all out.
Don't forget to pre-order your main course on the outbound, I think from 30 days before the flight. It might help appease the picky eater but unfortunately that service isn't available on the inbound.
You've already got some good advice about the Club Kitchen and my crowd still love the flat beds.
I hope you all enjoy the flights.

Last edited by gcuk; Jun 16, 2018 at 11:52 am
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Hi @ElizabetOk - my son is also a fussy eater and would not have eaten anything on the Club menu. We spoke to crew on boarding and they kindly brought him food from economy / kitchen (sandwiches and crisps as I recall) at the same time that we were being served. The AA crew did the same for him on the return. Great crews, who were untroubled by the request.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
That sounds like an epic road trip welcome to FT and have a fantastic time.

Please do report back
Old Jun 16, 2018, 4:51 pm

It is a bid sad that the advice for the Club Kitchen is to "get in early".
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by rossmacd
It is a bid sad that the advice for the Club Kitchen is to "get in early".
It’s a bit sad that teenaged “spoiled” and “picky eaters” hoover up all the snacks that fare-paying adults might fancy later in the flight.
endoman likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
It’s a bit sad that teenaged “spoiled” and “picky eaters” hoover up all the snacks that fare-paying adults might fancy later in the flight.
Oh dear. A generalisation about teenagers in Club World again.
GLA and AlbaGuBrath like this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Hi ElizabetOK,

Allow me to inject some positive spin While the mid J 747s are amongst the oldest in the fleet, these veteran aircraft do offer some advantages compared to the newer A380s and 787s. For example, the washroom to seat ratio is higher and the upper deck is pretty special, so that’s something you can look forward to on your flight back to London.

The IFE will be of the older generation but there is still a ton of viewable content to choose from. I flew out to the US on a mid J 747 earlier this week and having already chalked up over 48 hours on BA long haul over the past month, I really thought I’d be scraping the bottom of the movie catalogue for stuff to watch. While true, I flicked through the library marking each title, watched it, watched it, err nope, watched it etc, I did find a few movies I wouldn’t naturally go for but found them enjoyable gems. That said, your teens may not see it this way

Enjoy your travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.