Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Galleries Lounges Future

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by drakepassage

The difference between GC and GF is slim to marginal anyway, readily available champagne being the only stand-out one. I wouldn’t say even GF is comparable to VS J lounge.
There is champagne in GC

The biggest differences are food and GF being less crowded.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
I quite liked tha MAD Lounge, but it was quiet and that makes a difference. The biggest challenge at T5 is how busy the lounges are, but I’ve got to admit that the Flounge with it’S dedicated entry via the F Wing security is currently my favourite way to travel. I had a domestic ticket wrapped around out Beijing trip last month and my wife was a wee bit concerned about how that would work in case of delays etc. The F wing now has her convinced that it’s easier to go out and come back in than to do a T5 flight connection and take the risk that the security staff have abandoned Fast Track again.

however, the surprise and gem for me had been the Gatwick Flounge. It and the new regular lounge have made me try and avoid Gatwick less. The food is pretty good and even being “downgraded” for an hour when the Flounge is shut at 8pm is ok as the regular lounge is pretty decent. I actually think BA are doing a good job with their London lounges, the main issue is the volume of pax that pass through them.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
lol

what makes you think making one large lounge would improve things? BA would use it to reduce the GF offering to the GC service and not do any improvements!
Qantas do it at HKG and, in my limited experience, they’ve done it brilliantly and it’s a fantastic lounge.

A bar area with high stools serving made to order signature cocktails, served champagne, and BBQ pork cut and served to order. Self service drink stations with wine, beer and spirits. Various seating areas, from communal dining tables, to a cinema style arrangement infront of a large TV, to private corners, to individual chairs & tables facing the apron, with large screen TVs dotted around the entire lounge. Beautiful shower facilities which are plentiful meaning queuing or waiting is unlikely with staff on hand to supply toiletries and towels. Staff on hand around the lounge to regularly clear tables and take orders.

Being an infrequent flyer I’m a big fan of T5 Galleries Club. I find it easy to find a quiet corner to relax and treat myself to a few drinks and a snack before my flight. Despite the regular criticism on here, I really enjoy my time there.

The Qantas lounge in HKG was a real eye opener for me in what you can do by combining J & F lounges and providing a great service and experience for everyone.

Last edited by GlasgowBlue; Jun 16, 2018 at 2:45 pm
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Qantas have done the same at LHR T3, but there is little chance that BA would combine GF and GC with a product that is significantly better than GF is today.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Using the IB lounge in Madrid made me think more positively of GF. Thought the IB offering poor in comparison. I guess that’s the problem with so much of this, guest experience subjective.

Still don’t understand the love for CX T3, it’s fine, but the OTT remarks for it leave me rather, what?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
cws mentioned the rotation of different hot meals in GC however they are all a sloppy mess with hardly any consistency or flavour.

The sandwiches are the only thing I eat in there bar the crisps and cheese.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
In fact even the drink snacks are designed to leave you not wanting a second helping.

GC food is truly appalling in my view.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:43 am

The thing with comparisons to lounges like Qantas in T3 or HK is that they’re not serving hundreds of SH status passengers. I believe the GC are often packed with people that wouldn’t have achieved appropriate status on other airlines. How many major airlines offer lounge access to their mid tier, and have mid tier achievable with one carefully routed Business flight to the US.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by smokie36
cws mentioned the rotation of different hot meals in GC however they are all a sloppy mess with hardly any consistency or flavour.

But not even consistently sloppy .......
smokie36 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue

Qantas do it at HKG and, in my limited experience, they’ve done it brilliantly and it’s a fantastic lounge.

The Qantas lounge in HKG was a real eye opener for me in what you can do by combining J & F lounges and providing a great service and experience for everyone.
Yeah, all the QF HKG lounge needs to be perfect is the Cathay F showers and a view of the aeroplanes rather than the queue for the BA gates!

That said, it's never dealing with the volume of GC pax and as a combined F/J lounge it's a bit like the QR T4 lounge and a direct comparison is probably unfair.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by dougzz
Still don’t understand the love for CX T3, it’s fine, but the OTT remarks for it leave me rather, what?
Personal preference, I suppose. I would recommend everyone that thinks they prefer BA lounges to stay there, the CX lounge is really no better
dougzz likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:13 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I’d think it would be a difficult sell for BA, in its main hub where it’s by some distance the dominant airline, not to offer what is effectively a dedicated Emerald lounge. AA’s Flagship policy has muddied the waters a little, but all the other major oneworld airlines offer something distinctive - QR at DOH, CX at HKG, QF in the International terminal at SYD, AY at HEL, MH at KUL.

It’s not necessarily what you produce - CX’s Business/Sapphire lounges at HKG may well outrank Galleries F - but the message it sends. A joint J/F lounge is only ever going to be viewed, in relative terms, as a downgrade from a dedicated F lounge.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
I’m surprised BA hasn’t gone the AA route with lounge access. AA elites flying domestic J don’t get lounge access at all (premium tcon pax excepted). It’s a bit strange that BA gives lounge access to CE flyers, while they don’t even have a dedicated J hard product on their intra Europe narrowbodies. If they eliminated lounge access for these folks, they could use those resources to provide a better product for their long haul customers. After all, do you really need lounge access before a 2hr flight?

That said, the BA lounge in BOS is actually pretty nice. Probably one of the best lounges at BOS, though in fairness I’ve not tried the LH or EK lounges.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swingaling
... If they eliminated lounge access for these folks, they could use those resources to provide a better product for their long haul customers. After all, do you really need lounge access before a 2hr flight?
YES considering how dire a lot of the CE catering is now
markle likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by swingaling
I’m surprised BA hasn’t gone the AA route with lounge access. AA elites flying domestic J don’t get lounge access at all (premium tcon pax excepted). It’s a bit strange that BA gives lounge access to CE flyers, while they don’t even have a dedicated J hard product on their intra Europe narrowbodies. If they eliminated lounge access for these folks, they could use those resources to provide a better product for their long haul customers. After all, do you really need lounge access before a 2hr flight?

That said, the BA lounge in BOS is actually pretty nice. Probably one of the best lounges at BOS, though in fairness I’ve not tried the LH or EK lounges.
To truly align BA with AA you would need to remove lounge access for all status passengers as well as those travelling in CE (perhaps even some none CE flights that are shorter than say 6 hours
regardless if using a LH aircraft). Doing so would significantly reduce the number of eligible passengers using the lounges each day. BA could then reduce the size of the lounges and perhaps look to improve the quality. However, they would probably lose a lot of customers alongside this. There are significantly more competitors for European travel than there is in the States.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.