Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
The PR/competition element is really interesting. On the face of it, when it comes to fares airlines deem to be mistakes, the collective action problem means that airlines have an incentive to stick together as they all have a common interest to ensure a broad interpretation of the "manifest error" principle. I am happy to be told I am wrong, but to my knowledge, there has been no breach of that solidarity to date on either obvious or sufficiently likely error fares.

This time, Wizz and VS have made an explicit choice to ridicule BA, and my sense is that they do so because their interpretation is that BA's stretch of the concept is beyond credibility. In other words, BA's attitude is a sufficient outlier (and it seems, from the point of view of competitors, sufficiently absurd and self-defeating) that they have choose to break from habit and have a go at BA on that new front (don't take me wrong, VS happily targets BA and vice versa, but as far as I know, not on the handling of error fares).

On the other hand, the "pledge" by VS that if they do make an error, they will honour the fares is an interesting and a brave one. Obviously, like all other sellers, they are protected by law in case of genuine manifest errors (unlike this one), and this tweet could be read as their seemingly volunteering to recuse such protection in the future should they ever need it. Of course, if they have a true manifest error, they might "forget" their pledge, but if so I'm sure that BA will not hesitate to use this against them. Or maybe they have made a commercial decision that they want to be seen as the "fair" British airline (fair play, after all, is seen across the world as an eminently British quality and British Airways is proving once again that this is a part of the tradition that they do not consider theirs in any shape or form) and that they would indeed honour mistake fares if they ever occur. If so, I too would love to be a little fly in the room having heard the discussion that took place before they chose to include that little footnote.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
On the other hand, the "pledge" by VS that if they do make an error, they will honour the fares is an interesting and a brave one. Obviously, like all other sellers, they are protected by law in case of genuine manifest errors (unlike this one), and this tweet could be read as their seemingly volunteering to recuse such protection in the future should they ever need it. Of course, if they have a true manifest error, they might "forget" their pledge, but if so I'm sure that BA will not hesitate to use this against them. Or maybe they have made a commercial decision that they want to be seen as the "fair" British airline (fair play, after all, is seen across the world as an eminently British quality and British Airways is proving once again that this is a part of the tradition that they do not consider theirs in any shape or form) and that they would indeed honour mistake fares if they ever occur. If so, I too would love to be a little fly in the room having heard the discussion that took place before they chose to include that little footnote.
I don't think it's BA so much as customers that would use it against them. At the risk of pouring fresh fuel on our already burnt out legal discussion (), that tweet has the strong whiff of a unilateral offer. As a customer I'd be pretty confident relying on it, at least within a year or so.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I don't think it's BA so much as customers that would use it against them. At the risk of pouring fresh fuel on our already burnt out legal discussion (), that tweet has the strong whiff of a unilateral offer. As a customer I'd be pretty confident relying on it, at least within a year or so.
I agree. I meant that customers will likely forget (unless it happens super soon) but BA will take it upon themselves to remind the public of the 'pledge'!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I agree. I meant that customers will likely forget (unless it happens super soon) but BA will take it upon themselves to remind the public of the 'pledge'!
Do BA really want to even contemplate the thought of getting themselves involved in any sort of spat (again) with Virgin .......

You would like to think current-day management are aware of just how horribly it ended for BA last time ; but perhaps their memories don’t stretch back that far !
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:40 pm

One thing's for sure - FT won't forget.
Petrus and orbitmic like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by sxc
11 pages of excitement over an economy fare??
Just checking it's ok with you now this is up to 30 pages?
our_kid and Petrus like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
Just checking it's ok with you now this is up to 30 pages?
Well the Tel Aviv do should be fun
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by simons1
Well the Tel Aviv do should be fun
I'm in! oh wait. Anyone up for the Wizzair TLV do??
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load

Do BA really want to even contemplate the thought of getting themselves involved in any sort of spat (again) with Virgin .......

You would like to think current-day management are aware of just how horribly it ended for BA last time ; but perhaps their memories don’t stretch back that far !
Remember that ghastly, childish, sinister "kick in the balls" bet between Walsh and Branson? The protagonists are still rather powerful and I see not reason to believe that they have become any more mature!
subject2load likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
I'm in! oh wait. Anyone up for the Wizzair TLV do??
There was me thinking it was a BA do.

Seems like I made a manifest error.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
The intended BA TLV Mini-Do has passed the micro-do level and is now bordering on nano grade
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:31 am

Or maybe VS has safeguards in place to ensure a 'manifest error' fare never gets published? It baffles me, for all the technology advancements we have today that some airlines don't have safeguards in place to flag these mistake fares and catch them before they go out. I understand their booking system could potentially be from the 60s, but whatever software RM is running their optimization models on could surely be retrofitted with a short piece of code to flag an abnormal fare before it communicates with the booking system to file the fare.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Or maybe VS has safeguards in place to ensure a 'manifest error' fare never gets published?
I agree that BA's self-evaluated record on that front is abysmal and suggests some truly sloppy work from the fare input team (and even more inexcusable if it apparently affects fares in major currencies including your own according to them), but I think that any company feeling certain that it will never make any error would be dangerously arrogant.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:24 am

I agree that BA's self-evaluated record on that front is abysmal and suggests some truly sloppy work from the fare input team (and even more inexcusable if it apparently affects fares in major currencies including your own according to them), but I think that any company feeling certain that it will never make any error would be dangerously arrogant.
I think the big financial risk for VS here is not seats its own flights – which is probably a fairly manageable risk – but a misfiled interline fare that allows customers to book very expensive long-haul J/F seats on other carriers.

Alitalia had one of those a year or so ago where people could book pretty much any airline and any route they wanted. If VS were to face something like that, and have to honour it, it would I imagine be pretty expensive.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:25 am

I can’t actually think of a time where VS have screwed up their pricing. They had some very cheap fares earlier in the year, sub £1,000 for UC to the US and then a connecting DL flight. Was it a cheap fare or a mistake? If the latter, they have honoured them.

Granted, I guess it’s a lot easier managing five routes versus the magnitude of BAs network.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.