Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Did my shortest ever sector last night (10 minutes PIK-GLA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

So BA1488 was fun last night... Delayed almost 2 hours leaving LHR, got as far as Lanark before diverting to PIK as Glasgow tower evacuated due to fire alarm (Captain told us later than initial plan had been EDI, but lots were going there and it was busy).

Almost as soon as we were on the ground at PIK, GLA re-opened, but we had to wait for fuel for quite a while (shows I guess how little extra we were carrying).

Eventually took off from PIK and got a direct routing in from the south, runway to runway time 10 minutes. Comfortably my shortest sector (I’ve done EDI-GLA on BD in the past but that was more like 20 minutes!).

Eventually landed at GLA 3h25 late.

What was funny was that the purser seemed to have no idea where PIK was (plenty of Ayrshire residents did and couldn’t get off to their frustration!), and after take off, put the screens down, and said she was about to start doing drinks when she got the “cabin crew that’s 5 minutes to landing” warning!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Wow, great short flight !

I also was on a BD operated GLA - EDI, but this certainly beats that !

A drinks service, LOL, I'd loved to have seen that !
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It would have been very impressive if the SCCM had bashed out a round of drinks on PIK to GLA, given that AA struggle on JFK to BOS.

I think I saw some of this last night, I can see the Dumfries airspace from my fields, in the distance, and there did look like something odd was on (though I assumed it was the RAF). Expertflyer has the take off time as 20:58 from PIK, arriving GLA at 21:09.

Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:38 am

There were also delays and long holds due to fairly spectacular thunderstorms. House under 23 Approach hit by lightning, set on fire and apparently destroyed. There were also reports of marble size hail.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

Almost as soon as we were on the ground at PIK, GLA re-opened, but we had to wait for fuel for quite a while (shows I guess how little extra we were carrying).
I may be wrong (sure an expert will be along to correct if necessary) but on every flight there was to be a fair amount of reserve fuel in case the aircraft has to go into a hold followed by a divert. Thus on this flight, the amount of fuel for the flight was possibly considerably less than the fuel loaded for the reserve.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
I would imagine that enough there was enough fuel for a hold or diversion, but not enough for a unplanned take off and possible hold at GLA.
John
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:39 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by thejohn
I would imagine that enough there was enough fuel for a hold or diversion, but not enough for a unplanned take off and possible hold at GLA.
John
Plus another possible diversion.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
So BA1488 was fun last night... Delayed almost 2 hours leaving LHR, got as far as Lanark before diverting to PIK as Glasgow tower evacuated due to fire alarm (Captain told us later than initial plan had been EDI, but lots were going there and it was busy).

Eventually took off from PIK and got a direct routing in from the south, runway to runway time 10 minutes. Comfortably my shortest sector (I’ve done EDI-GLA on BD in the past but that was more like 20 minutes!).

Eventually landed at GLA 3h25 late.

What was funny was that the purser seemed to have no idea where PIK was (plenty of Ayrshire residents did and couldn’t get off to their frustration!), and after take off, put the screens down, and said she was about to start doing drinks when she got the “cabin crew that’s 5 minutes to landing” warning!
Now you've done the practice, your all set for Westray-Papa Westray
FlyingScientist and Scots_Al like this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by rapidex
Now you've done the practice, your all set for Westray-Papa Westray
Haha ^
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:46 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
[QUOTE=corporate-wage-slave;29849278]It would have been very impressive if the SCCM had bashed out a round of drinks on PIK to GLA, given that AA struggle on JFK to BOS.

Dearest - AA struggle at the gate so as often as not they don’t bother at all with their PDBs.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by gw76
There were also delays and long holds due to fairly spectacular thunderstorms. House under 23 Approach hit by lightning, set on fire and apparently destroyed. There were also reports of marble size hail.

From Sky news, house has been destroyed

Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
...darn... beat my EMA (East Midlands Airport) to (BHX) Birmingham (30.7 miles vs your 25.6 miles). It too was a diversion, a BA FCO-BHX flight. We were just crossing the threshold of BHX when we had a go-around - the flight in front had skidded off the end of the runway (due to heavy rain). Spent a while doing a tour of the West Midlands before heading off to EMA where we sat for the next 3 or so hours (they did bus people off if they wanted - I stayed since there was no point - and had a cup of tea made by the captain :-)) ).
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Dearest - AA struggle at the gate so as often as not they don’t bother at all with their PDBs.
Dearest AA-Basher, I even got a refill of my PDB on last week’s AA (DUB-PHL, in J of course).

Methinks the Lady doth protest too much
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I had a similar experience after a BUIA IOM - GLA flight I was on got diverted.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by T8191
Dearest AA-Basher, I even got a refill of my PDB on last week’s AA (DUB-PHL, in J of course).

Methinks the Lady doth protest too much
What did AA do to you to merit this special attention, T8191? Methinks the FA either spilled the first one on you or offered it to you after telling you to move because your seat was "inoperable"...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.