Wiki Posts
Search

Club World LHR CAI LHR - with pictures

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Can I help you

So just to show how inconsistent BA are if a WW crew operated this flight we would be entitled a rest break, for obvious reasons I will not say how long but it differs due to the different length of duty days, CAI would fall into the 6-10 hour duty.
I guess because as we have more experience we are able to cover the extra workload easier during the breaks as customers should not noticed the reduced number of crew on duty.
if Lhr Cai is the only flight for the crew I really don’t see a need for crew rest. These flights are never more then 5 hours really and then there is 36 hours on the ground. Do crew really need rest in flight?....
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by nufnuf77

if Lhr Cai is the only flight for the crew I really don’t see a need for crew rest. These flights are never more then 5 hours really and then there is 36 hours on the ground. Do crew really need rest in flight?....
Visiting the Pyramids, Khan el-Khalili and riding camels in the desert does tend to take it out of cabin crew and leave them exhausted for the return flight.
binman, Woodbinerich and truncated like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by amanx
Not been to CAi, but have been to the AA lounge in PHL. Proper food was paid for only as were half the drinks available. Only free food was cheese and crackers and cookies.
The lounge at CAI is an absolute dump. Old furniture and very questionable food. Not to mention the fact that, despite being airside, one has to re-clear security to get out of it! I personally wouldn't bother going in at all if I was back in CAI any time soon.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:38 am

I've come to the conclusion since being back in Europe after some years in the Far East that BA short haul is much of a muchness. However, Club World and First are definitely a bit of a joke. Everything about it is so far behind their competitors. It's gotten to the point where I prefer flying WT+ on BA. I feel like i'm being short changed paying for CW. It's just not worth it when you compare what you get on other airlines.

Check in
Lounges
Seats
Aircraft condition
Food quantity/quality
Onboard service

All are miles behind even some previously mediocre airlines now.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Exec

I think the more pertinent question here is were the crew that were on duty at any given time briefed properly by the SCCM to complete regular cabin patrols in all cabins - as they should be doing. If this had been the case, customers would have easily been able to request service/food/drink outside of the service.

If the crew had been briefed properly, the OP and his fellow customers may not have noticed. After all, on the vast majority of longhaul services, 50% of the crew will be on a break outside of the service periods - the official entitlement to the break is not really relevant - if the length of the flight, service and pax loads allow, a break will be given regardless.

The remaining crew should be patrolling the cabins at regular intervals and not hiding anywhere.

p.s. Thanks to the OP for sharing their experiences. Despite the obvious and very disappointing failures, it was a very interesting read

Last edited by Bar Operator; Jun 6, 2018 at 7:04 am
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just to add to the list of those thanking the OP for their detailed report. For me the aspect that would irk me the most is the wine stain behind the table mounting. I would guess that was on the previous sector, and while the carpet stain maybe difficult to shift within in a turnaround, the stain behind the table is relatively to clean up, and should have been done, it wouldn't take long either. Second irk point would be the lack of engagement from the crew, which indeed should be a big part of the CW service really. So I can certainly understand the overall underwhelming verdict.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques

What you have to take in to account is that we are on duty 90 mins before a flight and 45 minutes after a flight so around a 7.30 duty, what job doesn’t allow you a 20 minute break to have something to eat?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you

What you have to take in to account is that we are on duty 90 mins before a flight and 45 minutes after a flight so around a 7.30 duty, what job doesn’t allow you a 20 minute break to have something to eat?
Mine, although I'm not going to say what it is

In any case, I agree with you.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Please feed back especially regarding the lounge and f&b providion ex Cairo. I write to CR about it each month but would be helpful if others said the same
Good on you for making the effort ^

I’m not a CAI regular but must confess that in similar scenarios I don’t always give feedback, as I perhaps should (in part because I feel it’s likely to be a waste of time)

Does your monthly grievance bring any sort of useful, personalised response ... ? Or are they so accustomed to you writing that they now have a cut & paste ready to send each month in return ?

Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Mike P
The lounge at CAI is an absolute dump. Old furniture and very questionable food. Not to mention the fact that, despite being airside, one has to re-clear security to get out of it! I personally wouldn't bother going in at all if I was back in CAI any time soon.
The lounge I used did indeed require you to re clear security and the further along the corridor a further passport check.

The lounge wasnt so much a lounge lounge as a collection of seats and tables in a corridor. One side had reception and food and the other an satellite duty free shop.

At 7am there were no seats and we stood until a group left and we got 3 seats for the 4 of us.

Food was was exceptionally poor but relatively abundant and mostly consisted of lots of bread.

I havent been in Cairo for over 20 years so I don’t know if this was normal or a temporary location. It felt like a pop up lounge.

Last edited by binman; Jun 6, 2018 at 1:13 pm
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ binman - sounds not unlike the (generic) ‘VIP’ lounge at Abidjan which a colleague and I experienced many years ago.

Within approximately two minutes of entering we decided that the general departures area offered rather more comfort - and hygiene.

Our expectations were very low at the start so in the event it proved more of a mild amusement than serious disappointment.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
The sad bit is that nothing the OP posted came as a surprise to me. Granted, it usually doesn't happen in full combination, but none of the things mentioned by the OP are extraordinary.

Let's face it: BA is milking the London direct market to the maximum, and for anything else is only considered a valid option when they are ridiculous cheap (the fact that OP is travelling CAI-HNL is pretty telling).
binman likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
binman - as others have said, a very fair and balanced report;

In October 2013, having become fed up with the quality of BA's CAI operations, I made a decision to start flying QR CAI DOH LHR J and vv - despite the incredulity of some here it was the best aviation-related decision I have ever made. Significantly less cost, better aircraft, far superior flight experience, more TPs (no TP runs required), better lounges, etc it was a 'no-brainer' - helped by QR joining OW.

On just three subsequent occasions (one BA CAI LHR CAI and one BA CAI LHR) I flew BA CW 787 - and was totally unimpressed. As other have stated above, the CW seat is so lacking in space I have described it in previous posts here as a coffin. Fortunately, as it turned out, my final departure from Cairo was only a few months after QR stopped flying to CAI.
Phil The Flyer, I feel your pain regarding British Airways changes from LHR to Cairo. I used to choose this route to fly first class. Then only Club World was available. Until April 2018, BA were offering the A321. Even Air France had a business class product into Cairo this winter. Far from being incredulous I have also chosen LHR -DOH-CAI with Qatar Airlines rather than suffer British Airways to Cairo. Another route is Paris to Doha then to Cairo with QR. Due to travel restrictions between Qatar and Egypt that route wasn't possible in May.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by flatlander
The BA/AA seat has been done to death here. You really have to ask which compromise you want: comfortable for everyone especially tall people without aisle access, or comfortable for only short/narrow people with aisle access, or unprofitably low density (AA aren't going to get any more of the Cirrus seats that their 777W has, they're far too unprofitable).
The Cirrus seat is not coming back due to supplier issues, not profitability. AA continues to install new 1x2x1 reverse herringbone seats manufactured by BE Aerospace, the same that Qatar has been using on their new aircraft prior to the rollout of their newest business product.

I used to go out of my way to avoid AA transatlantic, but the tables have recently turned. I also get to avoid connecting through LHR, which can be a nice bonus these days.

Final thought: I think we can all agree the CAI lounge is a dump and to be avoided if possible.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer

.....I think we can all agree the CAI lounge is a dump and to be avoided if possible.

Not the most practical suggestion if you are at CAI waiting for the BA flight. It just about beats the non-lounge environment.

From the OP's pics the lounge could be a gentle introduction to what's waiting for you on board,
binman, Woodbinerich and AnaTravel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.