Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How many days before flight day, BA assign seats for family?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

On the BA website, it states that if you are traveling with child under 12 ys ol, child will be seated with adult. I know that BA cannot guarantee all three of us seating together. Question is about how many days before the flight day does BA assign the seats? Our flight is 6/12th from LAX to LHR.
Can't believe the price to select a seat has gone up since my last flight in 2014!!!
Thxs
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:04 pm

72 hours before the flight.
Anonba likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
72 hours before the flight.
thxs
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:31 am

I had a flight last week in CE and my son who is 11 was not seated by us when it came to check in and there was no spare seats.

When I got to the airport to drop bags I asked why he wasn't sat with an adult and was told it was not BA policy anymore.

Not sure if this is an outstation providing duff information.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by flyer200
I had a flight last week in CE and my son who is 11 was not seated by us when it came to check in and there was no spare seats.

When I got to the airport to drop bags I asked why he wasn't sat with an adult and was told it was not BA policy anymore.

How far away was you son seated
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

How far away was you son seated
6 rows
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:17 am

Duff Info - under 12s should be seated next to an Adult
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Swissroll
Duff Info - under 12s should be seated next to an Adult
Does not surprise me, IBZ was a zoo.

What does surprise me is how the IT can place an 11 year old 6 rows away from a parent
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Happens on buses and trains every day.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C

Was it a reward by any chance? I didn’t see allocated seating with my 4yr old about 10 days ago. Called up and it was (apparently) because she was ticketed in error as an adult, but they fixed it and confirmed the policy. Seems possible that could slip through the net as with RFS you never see the underlying taxes to check an under-12 has been correctly categorised.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by pauldb

Was it a reward by any chance? I didn’t see allocated seating with my 4yr old about 10 days ago. Called up and it was (apparently) because she was ticketed in error as an adult. Seems possible that could slip through the net as with RFS you never see the underlying taxes to check an under-12 has been correctly categorised.
It was actually!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:08 am
PZE

Programs: BA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver
Originally Posted by windrider
On the BA website, it states that if you are traveling with child under 12 ys ol, child will be seated with adult. I know that BA cannot guarantee all three of us seating together. Question is about how many days before the flight day does BA assign the seats? Our flight is 6/12th from LAX to LHR.
Can't believe the price to select a seat has gone up since my last flight in 2014!!!
Thxs
In the last year I think it’s been between 5 and 7 days before each flight. There seems to be an IT glitch which sometimes then treats the seats as paid-for and lets you change to another non-paid seat for free. It happens sometime between getting seats assigned and check in opening but seems totally random - last 4 flights have been:

1. Assigned T-7, changeable for free shortly after
2. No OLCI or ability to change regardless of payment
3. Assigned T-7, only changeable with payment until OLCI
4. Assigned T-5, became changeable for free T-2

2. was PMO which I understand has systems issues, 3. was in CE so possibly all seats had a “premium” price. Has anyone else observed this happening?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:06 pm

They lied then, presumably as an alternative to doing the job properly. BA policy is quite clear and on their website.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

It's T-3 timing before the flight on 6/12th(9:35pm) and no seat assignment yet as family. Getting little nervous here and ready to purchase the tixs now or wait another day and see what happens?
Still lot of seats available in WT sections.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:24 am

You aren't going to be able to actually see the seat assignments until OLCI opens but they will have been allocated already. I wouldn't worry about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.