Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Fiji Airways - new BAEC partner incl. earn/burn and status benefits (start date TBC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fiji Airways - new BAEC partner incl. earn/burn and status benefits (start date TBC)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by mec72
I assume this is just earning Avios, not redeeming them?
My understanding is you will be able to redeem them for Fiji Airways flights at some point, don't think you can currently. I would also expect them to be very hard to come by.

EDIT: I could be wrong, the table above isn't clear on if the millage points are redeemable with oneworld connect airlines.

Last edited by Calum; Jun 6, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:15 pm

Talking about the "Fijian sun", are there any dry places on the island?
Suva has about 4 times (and Nadi still 2.5 times) the annual rainfall of Edinburgh.
joepatr likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
I've been looking into a trip from CHC-NAN later in the year, using AA miles. I'll hold off and see how this plays out as I've got more avios than I can easily use now I've moved to NZ.

If anyone's curious about award availability - use Alaska Airlines search function to get an idea. They pop up, and I'd expect access to the same pool of awards
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Possible, but given the loosening of AA/AS ties recently, I'm not sure AA would want to be a sponsor. Would it be feasible without that?
Although, currently some AS elites get lounge access +1 at LHR GC when traveling on a BA ticket. And they also get lounge access at a number of QF lounges when flying with them. I'd love to see AS get in on this. Then I could tack on a SEA to Hawai'i leg on my trips to visit my parents.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Suva has about 4 times (and Nadi still 2.5 times) the annual rainfall of Edinburgh.
Depends on whether this is measured by raining volume in total or raining days...An one hour of tropical storm can bring more rain volume (let us say in cms or inches) than Edinburg have a period of drizzling for 8 days.
etiene likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Having lived there for two years (the struggle is real amigos), I can vouch for Suvas rainfall. Its something like the 2nd wettest capital city in the world. I also lived in one of the others, Monrovia, sure do pick 'em.

Nadii though is like any typical tropical destination, wet and dry seasons. And in the dry you can go months without a drop. That's the side most of the tourists go as well.

It's a relief effect - there's a chain of mountains running down the middle of the country, the south easterly trade winds hit them and dump their rain on the Eastern side. Still more pleasant than Edinburgh in winter though
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
I just tried a dummy booking LHR - NAN. BA are naming FJ by their old company name "Air Pacific"... they havn't been called that for years, I did check to see that I wasn't on the BOAC website by mistake!
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ginger50
I just tried a dummy booking LHR - NAN. BA are naming FJ by their old company name "Air Pacific"... they havn't been called that for years
Actually it is still called Air Pacific Limited, but it is trading as Fiji Airways.

Meanwhile the domestic subsidiary is Fiji Airlines Limited, trading as Fiji Link.

https://www.fijiairways.com/media/74...f-carriage.pdf
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I was really pleased to see this since I have friends in Fiji. It means that I can fly via SIN as well as Hong Kong and earn some TP's for the entire trip. I've been pricing it up via SIN, but a return in J from LHR is coming in just short of £5,000. Not much better from INV or ex eu (AMS) or MLA either. I havn't looked at flights via HK yet. Just wondering whether there are any tricks I am missing here? Can anyone think of a more advantageous departure point?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
I was really pleased to see this since I have friends in Fiji. It means that I can fly via SIN as well as Hong Kong and earn some TP's for the entire trip. I've been pricing it up via SIN, but a return in J from LHR is coming in just short of £5,000. Not much better from INV or ex eu (AMS) or MLA either. I havn't looked at flights via HK yet. Just wondering whether there are any tricks I am missing here? Can anyone think of a more advantageous departure point?
Cheapest way I've managed, and done it twice now, is an OSL-LHR-SIN-SYD-AKL return on BA/QF in J for about £2600; then a separate AKL-NAN nested in on FJ, booked through expedia.co.nz on QF code, for around £900. Pick wisely and you'll get their A330s.

Seems to be good for the rest of the year.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
Just wondering whether there are any tricks I am missing here? Can anyone think of a more advantageous departure point?
It may be a bit premature, would be my suspicion. I am not sure of the process involved, but often the high priced lucrative fares (from BA's perspective) go in first, and then it takes a while for the inflexible, more cost sensitive options come up later. Redemptions - which I reckon may be a really good option here - will be plugged in last of all after oneworld Connect has been formally signed off. Normally a codeshare isn't necessarily a money saver, it's more of a convenience. But over time it can lead to opportunities later on, in terms of developing the relationship in ways that works well for both the airlines and their passengers.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It may be a bit premature, would be my suspicion. I am not sure of the process involved, but often the high priced lucrative fares (from BA's perspective) go in first, and then it takes a while for the inflexible, more cost sensitive options come up later. Redemptions - which I reckon may be a really good option here - will be plugged in last of all after oneworld Connect has been formally signed off. Normally a codeshare isn't necessarily a money saver, it's more of a convenience. But over time it can lead to opportunities later on, in terms of developing the relationship in ways that works well for both the airlines and their passengers.
Agreed. I should add that when I mentioned in the first post that BA ‘currently’ codeshares on the SIN-NAN service, that was something I saw from a forced ITA search. What I didn’t realise then was that codeshare was a brand new addition ahead of the official announcement (inc LAX and SFO) and - more importantly - prior to the integration of those codes into BA’s standard (cheapish) through fares to NAN.

As of my last check a few days ago, those fares still required the FJ code rather than the BA one. That should change soon if it hasn’t already.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by PrimaVista
Cheapest way I've managed, and done it twice now, is an OSL-LHR-SIN-SYD-AKL return on BA/QF in J for about £2600; then a separate AKL-NAN nested in on FJ, booked through expedia.co.nz on QF code, for around £900. Pick wisely and you'll get their A330s.

Seems to be good for the rest of the year.
Thats just the sort of thing I was looking for - thank you so much and also to others who replied. All very useful info. Looks as though I would be wise to wait a bit - and perhaps the next elusive and overdue BA sale will turn up as well.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC
So, just to be clear, I assume this means that TP should be awarded for both the BA codeshares on FJ, but also FJ code number flights? I'm wanting to plan a break to the South Pacific, and was originally trying to look at PPT for Bora Bora, but Fiji might be an more practical option now with easier to find Oneworld fares.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LimitingFactor
So, just to be clear, I assume this means that TP should be awarded for both the BA codeshares on FJ, but also FJ code number flights?
On BA codeshares definitely yes to TPs and now in place. For Fiji Airways prime flight codes, there is the statement of intent to award TPs but it's not plugged into the system yet. Best to keep an eye on this thread to see what happens there and the timing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.