Wiki Posts
Search

Check in experience "upgrade"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred Plus, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Check in experience "upgrade"

Me and my family had a nice experience travelling through Heathrow over the school holidays.

As a silver card holder we were using the business class check in area travelling in ET to Geneva. There was a bit of a queue with a number of families being the holidays, but nothing too bad. Maybe took 10/15 mins. When we got to the front one of the managers asked us how long we waited. As we were checking our bags she talked to our kids who are 3 and 5. Once we had checked in she offered "as a special treat" for us to use the First Wing.

She then took us over and explained to the agent in the First Wing that she was "guesting" us through, which of course meant we got to use the flounge.

This was great partly for us to experience the First Wing but also because we got to use a lounge. I would have been unable to use the silver lounge as I can only guest one person.

To be clear, this was just a lounge upgrade. No upgrade to our flight.

I assume they do this occasionally to give us silvers a taste of a better life. Can't think of any other reason.

Anyway it was a great experience and started the holiday of really nicely.

Anyone else had this happen.

​​​​

Last edited by pondhopper79; Jun 1, 2018 at 11:13 pm Reason: Title change
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:02 am

What a great gesture ^
GaxxyFlyer and Markie like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:57 am

Lovely gesture. I'd be interested to know how close you get to Gold & if this was a targeted gesture to try & tempt you to push for Gold or just a spontaneous good deed!

Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:16 am

Sounds like the check in agent was charmed by your kids...they'll go a long way I think!
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred Plus, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
She approached us before we got to the checkin desk, and didn't seem to have any interaction with the checkin agent, so couldn't have known anything about my tier points (I'm miles off gold anyway). So I think it was spontaneous.

The kids were looking particularly cute that day...
flyer200 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
They were probably cute-looking, well-behaved kids. Another benefit of having well-behaved, cute kids
aircrashsurvivor likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Fantastic gesture by BA Staff.

If only all parents had such cute, well behaved kids.
Hilde and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
What a nice gesture. Too often our fingers are quick to point out where BA got it “wrong” on this forum and it’s always good to hear a pleasant experience. Great you got to sample the F Wing and get the little ones into the Lounge!
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Lovely gesture. "Surprise and delight" as it should be.
SkyTeem and duncgor like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:53 am

Nice freebie for the OP.

Problem with this sort of gesture is the check-in staff are quite likely to find their friends/ families/ random connections similarly "cute" and upgrade them accordingly. This is why frontline personnel discretion on flight upgrades was ended aeons ago by all airlines.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by duncgor
What a nice gesture. Too often our fingers are quick to point out where BA got it “wrong” on this forum and it’s always good to hear a pleasant experience. Great you got to sample the F Wing and get the little ones into the Lounge!
This isn't a "pleasant experience" though, this is a random freebie to one individual. Lets salute BA when:
(a) they deliver what they promise to most customers
(b) they fix mistakes they make with speed and grace.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Not even a full page of comments before someone could find anything negative with this gesture from BA.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by AAtticus
Not even a full page of comments before someone could find anything negative with this gesture from BA.
I was expecting it sooner, but then again it's Saturday.
amanx likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Cris L
Fantastic gesture by BA Staff.

If only all parents had such cute, well behaved kids.
If only all kids had such well behaved adults with them!
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
Brilliant. What a delightful rare read on FT. Well done BA, credit where credit is due. This is what you call service.

But most importantly well done that member of staff and I hope you can or could remember their name and let BA know through the feedback channels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.