Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin T1 DAA lounge - a whinge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DC *S
Thumbs down Dublin T1 DAA lounge - a whinge

For the last month I have been travelling back to LHR from DUB at the weekends. This is the 2nd Friday in this period that I have arrived at the DAA lounge used by BA around 17:30 to discover that they have run out of red wine! How? Its Friday evening. Surely apart from G&T red and white wine are the staples a weary traveller needs. To compound matters, I am Coeliac and the lounge provides (a bonus) a gluten free pack - crisps, two packaged slices of Gluten Free bread (presumably to have with the gluten free soup!).
However, every week I've arrived around 17:15, the soup is finished and won't be replenished before closing. I know I'm a grumpy old man, but surely a lounge would try and impress its travellers with the food and drink offering when said travellers are in most need of a a little pick me up. Is this an abherration or power for the course with this lounge?
I2sky likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:14 pm

Par for the course. I am here every week and have a fondness for the place but i have sometimes arrived for morning flights to find there is no coffee.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
They indeed have issue. Over last month I was offered twice G&S (Sprite) in lieu of tonic as they run out... I declined
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Rngdb
i have sometimes arrived for morning flights to find there is no coffee.
Goodness, finally a lounge rant that with which I could participate! Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Rngdb, it's good to get new members here and even better if they become regular contributors.
Rngdb likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I’ve been there twice a week apart and they had no tonic,,, very first world problems but how can a lounge run out of tonic.... or coffee or red wine.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Like many FTr's I have been there a few times and found the breakfast OK but there was NO atmosphere and definitely NO ambience!!!! Shocking!

A very bland lounge but away from the crowds is the main thing.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I have been at this lounge many, many times. The primary benefit is the respite from the crowds. The food and drink are never (in my opinion), worth the visit. Invariably, I've avoided the lounge on my past few visits. Instead, I spend some time in the Butler's chocolate bar sipping a hot chocolate of some sort. Nice way to bid adieu to Dublin!
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:45 pm
soy

Programs: various
This truly is a terrible lounge. Amazingly the last refurb actually made it worse, however DUB lounges are just weak in general.
The EI lounge is a bit better (not much), and EY lounge is (was?) the only really good lounge.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by joeninety
For the last month I have been travelling back to LHR from DUB at the weekends. This is the 2nd Friday in this period that I have arrived at the DAA lounge used by BA around 17:30 to discover that they have run out of red wine! How? ....
Wondering why alcohol consumption rates may run ahead of supply on a Friday night in Dublin? Hmmmmm

Having such poor lounges does at least mean the locals are free from the tyranny off FF programmes and helps keep ex-DUB prices down!
Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:49 am
ECR

I visited this lounge many times over probably around the last 5 years. Over that time the quality has steadily declined to the point that I will not always even bother to visit unless I have a lot time before the flight. I certainly wouldn't describe it as terrible, but wouldn't rate it anything higher than ok. It used to be a really nice lounge that I enjoyed visiting but it is obvious that there has been significant cost cutting taking place. If paying for entry it certainly isn't worth the 20 euros that I think they charge.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:29 pm

Anyone reading this thread and being on BA site for the first time will think the forum is full of alcoholic people with a sense of entitlement lol
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Gold
The last refurbishment seemed to be all about packing more individuals in while at the same time making it more difficult to access not just alcohol but also soup, coffee, etc.

The staff are friendly and helpful but the running out of non-perishable basic goods is too frequent. In addition to the already mentioned wine, tonic and soup, please add Coke/Diet Coke and the free Irish Times newspapers. In addition, the sandwiches and crisps sometimes come and go with explanation.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by AlanA
Anyone reading this thread and being on BA site for the first time will think the forum is full of alcoholic people with a sense of entitlement lol
We wouldn't want them to get the wrong idea..
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by joeninety
For the last month I have been travelling back to LHR from DUB at the weekends. This is the 2nd Friday in this period that I have arrived at the DAA lounge used by BA around 17:30 to discover that they have run out of red wine! How? Its Friday evening. Surely apart from G&T red and white wine are the staples a weary traveller needs. To compound matters, I am Coeliac and the lounge provides (a bonus) a gluten free pack - crisps, two packaged slices of Gluten Free bread (presumably to have with the gluten free soup!).
However, every week I've arrived around 17:15, the soup is finished and won't be replenished before closing. I know I'm a grumpy old man, but surely a lounge would try and impress its travellers with the food and drink offering when said travellers are in most need of a a little pick me up. Is this an abherration or power for the course with this lounge?
silly question but did you check both rooms? The lounge is not well staffed and I often find only one side has been replenished.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by orbitmic
silly question but did you check both rooms? The lounge is not well staffed and I often find only one side has been replenished.
You haven't been for a while, have you? It's been "renovated" as people mentioned up thread. There is now only one section of food and non-alcoholic drinks, while the other side has a manned bar where you get your drinks.

I agree with all the comments above. It really is a pretty bad lounge - awful decor, the bare minimum of cold food options (tasty, but not many choices) and just a bit of a snore all round. Interestingly, the 51st and Green lounge after US Preclearance is much better in every respect, but you have to be flying to the United States to access that.

It's a shame there isn't another lounge at Dublin to compete, as the DAA lounge in T1 is not great, and that's putting it mildly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.