Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Class action case over fuel surcharge results in Avios distribution (US members only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Class action case over fuel surcharge results in Avios distribution (US members only)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by tattikat2
Any idea when the Avios will be credited to your account?
When?

It's just a notice of a preliminary agreement. It has not even been approved by the court yet.

If you look at it, you will see that the essence is that BA represented to US customers that this was a "fuel surcharge" and that characterization was deceptive.

Imposing a carrier fee, surcharge or anything else which one might not like but which is not deceptive in its characterization is not the subject of this lawsuit or likely any other (successful) lawsuit.

The lawyers and the class representatives are the only people who get anything of appreciable value in most class action settlements so this one, if it is approved is a bit better than most.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by NYEsq
I am an ex-US EC member, currently UK based. I received the class action email. Curious whether I will be entitled given that I switched my EC location in 2014.
I qualify and I switched USA > Singapore in February this year. I’ll monitor closely. I assume it will be ok but will follow up if needed.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I switched my residency over to the US from UK in 2009, didn't receive an email about this but I certainly redeemed Avios/BA miles during the window when I was a US registered BAEC account holder.

I guess more information will be available in the coming days.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
The article raises the possibility of a devaluation as a consequence.
I don't think so. At the time BA called this YQ. Now they call it something else to better comply with US DOT rules. They will still be able to charge this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
... The article raises the possibility of a devaluation as a consequence.
Or perhaps an increase in the YQ for US originating redemptions to pay for it ... oh the irony!
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Or perhaps an increase in the YQ for US originating redemptions to pay for it ... oh the irony!
Don’t give them any ideas!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kaka
"us residents" depends on what your address is in your account?
The relevant phrase from the settlement agreement seems to be "provided BA with a valid United States address at the time of booking." I am not a lawyer, and the phrase "United States resident member" is also used nearby, but the address you provided when you booked the ticket would seem to be what they go by here.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
We already get charged double the rate of UK originating redemptions...quite probably to cover this settlement and related expenses.

I'm not a fan of these kind of lawsuits...but as a long time member, I recall at that time, the surcharges were a serious devaluation. (I remember a 2003 IAD-LHR-MRU RT redemption in F that cost $200 at most). I'll be looking closely at the cash option, as I'm probably toward the high end of the range mentioned in the email.

Of course, I'd prefer that the lawsuit was dismissed and the US originating YQ was brought in line with UK YQ going forward. I previously posted details of just how extreme the difference is here: Carrier Surcharges (yes, again) 2.5x higher ex-US
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
What is more concerning here is that it seems that there will be a devaluation of Avios partly due to this
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I should be included in this class action as I am in the US, have redeemed multiple times in that time frame, but so far no email.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Argh - I think I kept my UK address when I lived in US for a while in this period because of BA Amex. D’oh.

(no idea if I made a redemption then)
Lioneye likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
What is more concerning here is that it seems that there will be a devaluation of Avios partly due to this
Where are you getting that from?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
5th comment from Raffles
https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...lert/#comments
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
I don't think BA have announced that changes to redemptions that have been in the offing for a long time are due to the relatively small settlement in this case.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
So not applicable to UK members who redeemed ex-US one ways or rtns?
I did - a lot.
I can't honestly remember what address I put down when booking (probably a Ukraine address ) but my BA account has remained UK based to keep the BA amex, even though I reside in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.