Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How to report a glaring security hole in BA.com ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to report a glaring security hole in BA.com ?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Exclamation How do I report a glaring security hole in BA.com | ?

Hi,

As a career one of the things I am responsible for is IT Security.

I have found a security issue on the website which exposes the users password and email address and for obvious reasons I will not post it on FT or to anyone other than the appropriate person at BA.

Having looked through the website and to a pile of other contact us pages there is no contact for the web team / security team,

Does anyone know a way of reporting this correctly?

Last edited by cgtechuk; May 31, 2018 at 5:39 am
Old May 31, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hey,

I don't have an answer, more a concern. What's their method of storing passwords? (clear, hash, hash+salt) ?
masmadrid likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

There was the ba.com official as a user handle company rep on here but they have not logged in since 28th Feb but as I understand it they do monitor the ba.com glitches thread on here.

Perhaps PM BA Executive Club on here and they can forward your concerns?
Old May 31, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: BA
Best thing is to raise a direct message on twitter or contact the executive club via the phone. They have channels to contact asset protection and the duty security manager.
PETER01 likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Do tell us if BA are as rewarding as United:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/0...ion_air_miles/

A teenage hacker from the Netherlands has received a million airline miles for finding 20 bugs in the travel business' code base.
... The company has paid out millions in air miles already.
(the downside, in this case, is that it was United miles )
tynmar likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Why does this not surprise me at all?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
I have sent a message to the BA Exec Club PM here, I cant use Twitter at the moment as I am at work,

Thanks
Old May 31, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Once they have fixed it it would be great if you report back what it was, out of interest.
mickeyjaw and CloudGazer like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Other route might be through app feedback on the BA App.

I know that they read the feedback daily - they're a separate team from the ba.com team but clearly will know who to talk to in the web team to get the ball rolling?
Old May 31, 2018, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Other route might be through app feedback on the BA App.

I know that they read the feedback daily - they're a separate team from the ba.com team but clearly will know who to talk to in the web team to get the ball rolling?
I did think about this but it's unique to the website not the app which I figured would be a different team,
Old May 31, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Hi,

As a career one of the things I am responsible for is IT Security.

I have found a security issue on the website which exposes the users password and email address and for obvious reasons I will not post it on FT or to anyone other than the appropriate person at BA.

Having looked through the website and to a pile of other contact us pages there is no contact for the web team / security team,

Does anyone know a way of reporting this correctly?

If it is to do with user e-mails could you approach their Data Protection Officer? Under the shiny new GDPR legislation this should make them jump pretty quickly as them going astray would be a serious breach under something which is very much of interest right now.

[email protected] per the bottom twisty thing of https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...privacy-policy
Old May 31, 2018, 10:54 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Report it to the Data Protection Officer for BA. Once your email is received GDPR enters into action so assuming BA is on top of things, then looking for a resolution should be quick.

cgtechuk likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
From Linkedin: Mike Grenham
Group IT Security manager at International Airlines Group (IAG)
Reading, United Kingdom
He is connected to a few people that I am involved with on cyber security, so he's perhaps someone to try and contact, perhaps via a Linkedin message.
cgtechuk likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I once reported a data protection breach involving a senior BA official’s personal details

I just contacted the contact centre, explained the issue in detail and explained that they needed to alert corporate security immediately.

They took it it very seriously and there was instant action.
cgtechuk likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Silver
Bug bounty is 500 Avios as a good will gesture. Please do disclose after normal timings - curious to hear. I can only just about book flights through their abomination of a web site, the thought of pen testing it makes me shiver.
armouredant and mickeyjaw like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.