Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO and mistake that is going to cost me €40. Anything I can do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

I was about to check in for my CAG-LGW tomorrow and realised I bought and HBO fare. I was convinced I'd bought a non HBO fare and I have a big suitcase with me that is already half full, mostly with wine and food!

There is the obvious options of leaving a few things with my family and travel HBO.

I saw that a checked bag would cost me €40. I was expecting a bit less than that!

There is availability in all classes in Economy, but I imagine that a fare change would be more expensive.

I was hoping in a POUG as I need TPs anyway, but it did not appear. My only hope would be an AUP, but with J0 and my doubts on whether they'd be able to process one at CAG, I am not feeling very positive.

Should I buy a bag and then AUP, would BA refund me the €40?
Old May 27, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by ringingup
I was about to check in for my CAG-LGW tomorrow and realised I bought and HBO fare. I was convinced I'd bought a non HBO fare and I have a big suitcase with me that is already half full, mostly with wine and food!

There is the obvious options of leaving a few things with my family and travel HBO.

I saw that a checked bag would cost me €40. I was expecting a bit less than that!

There is availability in all classes in Economy, but I imagine that a fare change would be more expensive.

I was hoping in a POUG as I need TPs anyway, but it did not appear. My only hope would be an AUP, but with J0 and my doubts on whether they'd be able to process one at CAG, I am not feeling very positive.

Should I buy a bag and then AUP, would BA refund me the €40?
I suggest if the flight is very full you might get a message inviting you to check bags in for free. Don't check in until the last moment as you can't buy luggage at the €40 price once you've checked in.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't really have an answer for you, but surely the AUP will exceed €40. In the grand scheme of all the food and drink you are schlepping home, is €40 really a big deal?
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by LondonElite; May 27, 2018 at 6:14 am
Old May 27, 2018, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by firstlight
I suggest if the flight is very full you might get a message inviting you to check bags in for free. Don't check in until the last moment as you can't buy luggage at the €40 price once you've checked in.
Now, that is an idea! Do they do that for outstations as well?

However, would they allow non hand luggage to be checked in for free?
Old May 27, 2018, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't really have an answer for you, but surely the AUP will exceed £40. In the grand scheme of all the food and drink you are schlepping home, is £40 really a big deal?
The AUP will definitely be more than €40, but at least I'd get 30 TPs extra and a more pleasant flight.

€40 are not that big a deal, it just annoys me. Although, to be fair, I would have paid more or less €12 extra to buy a Plus fare in the first place, so in effect I'd only be paying less than €30 for the bag.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: Lufthansa , British Airways, IHG, Hilton, Marriott
Looks like the flight tomorrow has 8 seats available in Economy and Club is already full
Old May 27, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ringingup
Now, that is an idea! Do they do that for outstations as well?
BA does do it from outstations, however, in my experience agents only offer to check-in carryon luggage for free.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bazza1603
Looks like the flight tomorrow has 8 seats available in Economy and Club is already full
Yup. Although the CE cabin has 18 seats, of which 2 are blocked and only 7 are currently occupied. A bit odd, but I guess that there must be at least 7 people who don't have assigned seats and haven't checked in yet. The two blocked seats... could they be broken?

Old May 27, 2018, 6:15 am
Suspended

If I were you I would not chance either an AUP, nor a 'check bags for free because we're rammed' scenario. But that's just me.
orbitmic and Silver Fox like this.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
If I were you I would not chance either an AUP, nor a 'check bags for free because we're rammed' scenario. But that's just me.
I am inclined to think like you. I am generally risk adverse. Also, paying for extra luggage would be a hassle, as I'd have to go back and forth between check-in desks and ticketing desks.

I would still be interested to know if the €40 could be refunded should they offer AUPs, which is unlikely anyway given the current availability.

J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 Y8 B8 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 N6 O4 Q4 S0 G4
Old May 27, 2018, 6:21 am
Suspended

I would be amazed if they offered AUPs when it's currently zeros across the board.
ringingup likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
In answer to your question, no I don’t think a checked luggage would be refunded if you the bought an sup. My understanding is that the only thing refundable is a paid advanced seat selection.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
And surely your HBO fare was less than the fare for travelling with a suitcase so it hasn't actually cost you anything?
Old May 27, 2018, 6:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by firstlight
This is only for hand baggage. A big suitcase would be charged for.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Note, the €40 fee relates to an online/advance transaction. The "At the airport" fee is €50
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.