Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Finally some Justice after the Deicing mess!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze

Hi just saw this on twitter, looks like BA was at fault after all.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Can't imagine that refusing to answer is a terribly good strategy in court or before a tribunal even. Suprised that BA let it go that far, even if this cannot set a precedent plenty of others making the same claim will be quoting this.
Silver Fox and ExpatExp like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Worcester
Can't imagine that refusing to answer is a terribly good strategy in court or before a tribunal even. Suprised that BA let it go that far, even if this cannot set a precedent plenty of others making the same claim will be quoting this.
We don’t know the forum for this decision, remember the onus is on the airline to demonstrate ‘extraordinary circumstances’ and that all ‘reasonable’ measures had been taken. Failing to provide evidence would severely prejudice that defence.

This is could have been a customer service payout rather than a county court award. It might even have been a default judgment.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:31 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
It was obvious at the time that the core issue during that disruption was that BA did not have anywhere near sufficient de-icing resource in place. That was the primary cause of the disruption, not the weather itself. Then there was also the fact that BA's IT ops systems couldn't cope with the disruption and got confused about where aircraft and crew were.

Although at the time I do recall a few people on here being very defensive on BA's behalf, telling us that BA had done everything they could have done (basically saying BA couldn't possibly have de-icing resources on standby and such disruption should be expected at Heathrow in winter).
Carfield, NoY, Silver Fox and 1 others like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by gms
It was obvious at the time that the core issue during that disruption was that BA did not have anywhere near sufficient de-icing resource in place. That was the primary cause of the disruption, not the weather itself. Then there was also the fact that BA's IT ops systems couldn't cope with the disruption and got confused about where aircraft and crew were.

Although at the time I do recall a few people on here being very defensive on BA's behalf, telling us that BA had done everything they could have done (basically saying BA couldn't possibly have de-icing resources on standby and such disruption should be expected at Heathrow in winter).
Don’t get carried away with this reported payout. There is nothing evidential in the OP that would be helpful to others making similar claims in the future. There is nothing in it that is binding on any court and it proves nothing evidentially. If this was a county court judgment, it might well be a judgment by default where BA had not replied to the claim form or directions in time.
AlanA, HIDDY, AdBoy and 1 others like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:52 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Don’t get carried away with this reported payout. There is nothing evidential in the OP that would be helpful to others making similar claims in the future. There is nothing in it that is binding on any court and it proves nothing evidentially. If this was a county court judgment, it might well be a judgment by default where BA had not replied to the claim form or directions in time.
I'm not getting carried away I didn't imply that this did set a precedent I didn't suggest this would be binding I was stating that this supported what I saw, heard from BA staff and experienced while trying to travel on the impacted days. The primary cause of the disruption was BA's utter incompetence and lack of planning, the weather should at worst have only caused minor disruption at Heathrow.

I think it just says a lot when BA refused/failed to answer a pretty basic question about their resourcing/preparation to deal with the problem.
NoY, GLA, hugolover and 7 others like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:57 am
Suspended

It’s just surprising that BA let this one get so far.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by gms

Never!!! I don't believe that for a single second
Old May 24, 2018, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by richardwft
It’s just surprising that BA let this one get so far.
Why? Do you realise how many EU261 claims get this far?

Answer: lots!
hugolover likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Finally. It looks like common sense prevailed in the end despite what you may hear on a certain internet forum.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
....Do you realise how many EU261 claims get this far?....
No. Please advise how many and analyse into those where ‘reasonable measures’ were and were not taken to avoid the cancellation/ long delay and the final judgement.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; May 24, 2018 at 2:18 am
Old May 24, 2018, 2:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

It’s the implicit ‘YMMV’... you can’t always believe what you read on an Internet forum, no matter how well-intending the author.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Refusing to provide evidence is such a counter productive strategy that assuming that this indeed went to court, one has to wonder whether ba lawyers actually preferred to lose the case than winning and risking an appeal that would set a precedent.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by richardwft
No. Please advise how many and analyse into those where ‘reasonable measures’ were and were not taken to avoid the cancellation/ long delay and the final judgement.
If you really want, you could try an FOI request to the court service to ask how many hearings on reasonable measures they deal with. But to save your and their time, I’ll repeat my answer above - lots.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:25 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Does the use of the word "tribunal" in the original tweet suggest the CEDR route rather than court?

In any case for those minded to continue pressing on for a resolution (bearing in mind BA's main strategy is to try and put as many people off as possible), asking BA to prove where it took reasonable measures to prevent the disruption would seem to be an avenue worth pursuing.

Last edited by V10; May 24, 2018 at 2:27 am Reason: spelling etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.