Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Finally some Justice after the Deicing mess!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally some Justice after the Deicing mess!

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Maybe not, but if I may say, you started it. You were the one who began the personal attack (as you did on this other current thread). You slapped, and you got slapped back. It is understandable if people get hot under the collar when they are the recipient of an aggressive post. What do you expect? Or maybe that is what you expect.
It's an Internet forum....I can assure you I have no problem with being slapped but thanks for your concern.

Anyway to return to the OP, it's good news that the claimant in question did their homework and got a result. Hopefully others may feel emboldened that the BA fob off is not the be all and end all.
orbitmic, lloydah and mikeyfly like this.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:34 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I understand that making fun of people who you wrongly perceive as BA defenders would garner likes and would be 'popular,' but what I don't understand is why you think such comments won't meet a rebuttal.
This. It really does seem that trying to get any kind of balance is automatically written off as being a BA Defender, or even more dismissively "Apologist". It irritates me as whilst I do not think that BA is a bastion of excellence, God Forbid. However I do not automatically assume - Oh it's BA therefore it must be no good whatsoever". Moreover, I have lived with a policeman for 32 years, and one thing that I have learnt is never to accept that because anyone makes a statement that it is necessarily accurate or correct. What we never hear, or all too rarely is the other side of the story.
Andriyko, PETER01, AdBoy and 5 others like this.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by subject2load

The CAA - in their December 2017 data - published a figure of 75%, but there’s a good chance that the proportion has since crept up to 80%

https://www.caa.co.uk/News/Thousands...te-Resolution/

in any other industry if an independent arbitrator found against companies in such a high percentage of cases either the company would be sanctioned by its regulator, or the regulator would be slung out on its ear.

Someone should remind the CAA there is more to their role then safety.
mrow and masmadrid like this.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
in any other industry if an independent arbitrator found against companies in such a high percentage of cases either the company would be sanctioned by its regulator, or the regulator would be slung out on its ear.

But that would assume that everyone who gets a payout has to go through arbitration, which is not the case. Airlines do pay compensation without involvement of the court system or arbitration in clear-cut cases. It is in cases like the December disruption that disputes arise. It makes sense that airlines and passengers sometimes don't agree as to whether a particular cancelation warrants compensation, which is why there are routes which people can take to get what they think they are entitled to. While I understand that some people think that BA was not prepared etc., I believe it is fair to give the airline a chance to defend itself and prove that it did take all reasonable measures to avoid a cancelation. I don't think that it is wrong that some cases have to go through arbitration in the absence of express guidance from the law or binding precedents.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:03 am

But that would assume that everyone who gets a payout has to go through arbitration, which is not the case.
No it doesn’t.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:46 pm

No it doesn’t.

Can you be more specific? Unless I misunderstood you, you implied that the regulator should intervene and force airlines to pay out in not so clear-cut cases. I said that it was normal that some cases do end up in arbitration or in court. The figure that you quoted relates to the not so clear-cut cases, while many passengers do get compensation without resorting to any other remedies. So, what is it that you are disagreeing with if I may ask?

Last edited by Andriyko; May 26, 2018 at 3:06 pm
Old May 26, 2018, 3:17 pm

Can you be more specific? Unless I misunderstood you, you implied that the regulator should intervene and force airlines to pay out in not so clear-cut cases. I said that it was normal that some cases do end up in arbitration or in court. The figure that you quoted relates to the not so clear-cut cases, while many passengers do get compensation without resorting to any other remedies. So, what is it that you are disagreeing with if I may ask?
An independent ombudsman overturning such a high proportion of cases is cause for regulatory investigation and sanction. Period. A well trodden path in regulated industries. “Difficult cases” is frankly a ridiculous excuse.

mrow likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:28 pm

An independent ombudsman overturning such a high proportion of cases is cause for regulatory investigation and sanction. Period. A well trodden path in regulated industries. “Difficult cases” is frankly a ridiculous excuse.

I did not use the word 'difficult,' nor did I imply an excuse. I merely said that some cases needed to be adjudicated. But thank you for your answer.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The CAA is the National Enforcement Body charged with doing this, and in some areas it does act, so it supported some recent legal cases where it felt the airlines had not taken up the CAA advice on (e.g.) connecting flights outside Europe. I am one of those that feels that the CAA is unable to properly disconnect itself from its multiple other relationships with airlines and truly represent consumers, for which this area is pretty much its only - and essentially outsourced - channel.

I should point out that though the proportion of cases upheld in favour of passengers for CEDR (BA's ADR provider) is actually 89%. However we don't know the breakdown by airline and CEDR also handled easyJet, Thomas Cook and Thomson (and other smaller airlines). Moreover in some situations CEDR will rule in the passenger's favour but not award any additional compensation, due to the notional £25 fee that is supposedly at stake. There is a note in the full report which suggests this 89% figure is expected to fall, as airlines start to better understand what CEDR is likely to do with any particular case. I have to say I very much doubt CEDR would be the best port of call for the area under focus (de-icing) though I would be happy to proven wrong on that point.
Andriyko and mrow like this.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:54 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat

To better put this into prospective just how many cases is 80% 1000, 2000 5000 then compare that to the 40 million plus passengers travelling on BA without fuss or disruption each year then the balance is fairer. Also remember that Non Eu airlines are not exposed to the same amount of claims as they are not covered for flights departing into the EU so if we had a league table it would not be balanced.
Old May 26, 2018, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0

To better put this into prospective just how many cases is 80% 1000, 2000 5000 then compare that to the 40 million plus passengers travelling on BA without fuss or disruption each year then the balance is fairer. Also remember that Non Eu airlines are not exposed to the same amount of claims as they are not covered for flights departing into the EU so if we had a league table it would not be balanced.
Unless the number of cases heard by the ombudsman is not statistically relevant (it isn’t), comparing with the number of customers who don’t make a claim is a complete non-sequitur.

And arguing that other airlines are as bad actually reinforces my point that the regulator is toothless!

SW7London, mrow, orbitmic and 1 others like this.
Old May 26, 2018, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The percentage of matters determined in favor of a carrier vs. a passenger is not in and of itself relevant or indicative of anything. One would expect the carrier to pay out on claims which are obvious, the passenger not to file claims which are frivolous (or to drop a claim once it is explained as not having a factual or legal basis), and for the tribunals to be left with those matters where there is a disagreement on the facts, the law, or both.

In order to determine whether the percentage of CEDR matters held for the passenger is appropriate for further action, one would have to commission a neutral study to take a look at a statistically significant number of delays and then assess whether there was a worthy claim to be had, whether a claim was made, whether it was paid out by the carrier without resort to external action, pursued by the passenger if not paid out, and the ultimate result.

That would be a complicated and massively expensive proposition and perhaps of limited value other than to satisfy the disaffected.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The percentage of matters determined in favor of a carrier vs. a passenger is not in and of itself relevant or indicative of anything.
Again, yes it is. I refer back above, it merits either investigation of the regulated entity (airline) or the regulatory body (CAA). I’ve spent my whole working life in regulatory compliance in various industries. Why should the airline industry be different?

mrow likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 4:06 am

If CEDR is finding 89% of cases in the consumer's favour I would have thought that would be a message to the airlines that they need to recalibrate their decision making.

However I imagine that is unlikely because I would imagine there are many others who give up at the first fob off from the airline. Or indeed who are never advised of entitlements in the first place.

I suspect one of the outcomes here is that with the PPI deadline looming the lawyers will move on to something new and this is probably a suitable area for increased "awareness" with plenty of easy kills, particularly as more clarifications (like the one on connecting flights) are issued.
mrow, Kgmm77, KeaneJohn and 1 others like this.
Old May 27, 2018, 4:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Once again, I responded to a comment about being better prepared the next time by saying that it may be wishful thinking since as far as LHR is concerned the costs may outweigh the benefits, and prudent businesses would not and should not invest in infrastructure that they would seldom need.
You seem to be deliberately ignoring the fact that BA *have* invested. They purchased a number of de-icing rigs after the last major snowflake incident. However, only 2 of these were available on the day in question - for reasons unknown. This was pointed out many times on the original thread, and on this thread.
lukew, mrow and subject2load like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.