Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The downgrade of the LHR/YYZ Route Continues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.

Those of you that travel regularly on this route will no doubt be aware of the continuous downgrade and slow withdrawal of BA services on this route. If my memory serves me correctly, it all began about 15 years ago when BA started to retro-fit some of their older 777's with extra Club World Seats in place of First seats on some of their planes. At the time, BA had 3 daily YYZ/LHR flights (92/93, 96/97, 98/99) during the busiest times of the year (mostly plied with 747s). Slowly but surely First Class was eliminated on all but one flight per day. Then came the phasing out of 747 service, and the introduction of old 767's on some flights, together with the withdrawal of the 96/97 service (these numbers were used for normal aircraft after BA withdrew the concorde service on this route).

Then for the last 2 years there has been a constant twice daily service with one First cabin per day (using a mixture of mostly 777's and 767's, and now the 787 with the occasional 747), except on certain holidays when the daily service is reduced to one flight per day. October last year saw the abrupt closure of both the BA Club and First Lounges at YYZ, and this week we have learned that First Class is being removed completely at the end of the summer on all but a handful of flights.

Would I be wrong in thinking that BA just don't care about this route anymore?
Old May 23, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by themax
Would I be wrong in thinking that BA just don't care about this route anymore?
Yes.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Does this same subject really need this many threads?
mikeyfly likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
I read that First will be reintroduced from next summer presumably once the 787 issues are ironed out?
Of some small comfort is the introduction of a LGW service May-October, 3 times a week. Judging from my seat change last night this will soon be operated by the refurbished 777.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:57 pm

I do believe VS tried this route once but they couldn't make it pay. Mind you they don't have F either.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:01 pm

Btw did Concorde really operate on this route on a regular basis?
Old May 23, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My next two trips are with AC. The PE products look indistinguishable and T2 Fastrack plus the UA lounge is a acceptable substitute for the F wing and lounge. The big AC win though is a better range of flight timings including the wonder of the day flight home.

Not sure BA have given up, but it certainly doesn’t feel like a priority market.
themax, williamn78 and AJLondon like this.

Last edited by Swanhunter; May 23, 2018 at 3:57 pm
Old May 23, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
My next two trips are with AC. The PE products look indistinguishable and T2 Fastrack and the UA lounge is a acceptable substitute for the F wing and lounge
How do you find AC pricing with PY? Whenever I look it seems far more expensive than BA. I agree the product is almost exactly the same.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by williamn78
I've been googling that because I had some doubts about that and the most I can find is a seasonal once a week charter and some Arctic sightseeing flights.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2014/05/...sited_toronto/
Old May 23, 2018, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.
Originally Posted by williamn78
Yes, I took it many times. The service (BA96/97) operated at least once weekly, sometimes more. It was amazing. I can still remember sitting in the old cocktail lounge at YYZ Aeroquay (old Terminal One), long before the days of the Galleries Lounge concept, looking out over the tarmac at the magnificent speedbird awaiting departure. Happy Days!
Old May 23, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
My next two trips are with AC. The PE products look indistinguishable and T2 Fastrack and the UA lounge is a acceptable substitute for the F wing and lounge.
I've flown BA and AC probably a dozen times each over the last few years between YYZ and LHR, in various classes. AC PE is definitely better than BA WTP, in terms of seat quality, IFE, food, and drink. UA and AC lounges in T2 are probably a bit better than Galleries, but not as good as Galleries First. On the way back out of YYZ, the AC lounge (and T1 in general) is a lot better than the BA offering in T3.

The big AC win though is a better range of flight timings including the wonder of the day flight home.
Indeed - 2 flights per day on BA (both leaving LHR mid afternoon, and returning from YYZ mid evening), and 4 flights per day on AC (leaving LHR as early as 8 am and as late as 6 pm westbound, and the day flight from YYZ-LHR and three flights leaving YYZ in the evening).

Not sure BA have given up, but it certainly doesn’t feel like a priority market.
BA may not have not given up, but if one were primarily flying between the UK and Canada, I can't see a single compelling reason for choosing BA over AC. In addition to the differences on the LHR-YYZ service, don't forget that AC serves seven cities in Canada from LHR (as opposed to four on BA), and while BA have ended their partnership with WestJet in Canada, AC also has an extensive network of connecting flights in Canada.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Well I am flying this routing this weekend and BA are printing money by asking for 1000 GBP in Y so am flying KLM via AMS so they are still making good cashish even if they don't care!

I may fly the route again in a few months so should be cheaper if I book in advance. AC must be way better than BA but I don't mind getting some Avios so let's see who I end up flying!
Old May 23, 2018, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Well I am flying this routing this weekend and BA are printing money by asking for 1000 GBP in Y so am flying KLM via AMS so they are still making good cashish even if they don't care!

I may fly the route again in a few months so should be cheaper if I book in advance. AC must be way better than BA but I don't mind getting some Avios so let's see who I end up flying!
I agree that fares in Y are often astronomical, even months out. BA seems to have busy cabins in Y because of all the passengers connecting from India. On my last flight I spied that CW was almost empty however. I was flying in PY and got a ticket for half the price of BA by booking on AA.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:17 pm

Concorde was never a regularly scheduled service on this route. It was charter, occasional special trip, etc. but not scheduled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.