Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA dropping Luanda JUN18

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Customer guidelines up on Speedbird Club, but no rerouting options yet provided. No offer of SA instead; LAD-CPT is quite a distance I guess.https://www.speedbirdclub.com/en/all-news/commercial-policies/condicarr/lasdsusp/
Old May 23, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC
What does this mean in practice?
"We are in contact with several interline partners for a possible involuntary rebooking guideline onto their services. These will be published as received."
Where will options be published?

BA just told us that we aren't allowed to reroute >300 miles from the original destination which is silly because I don't think that there are any international airports within 300 miles of Luanda.
Our final destination is WDH (will have to cancel non refundable connections from LAD to WDH). Qatar fly to WDH however.
Would we be able to ask BA to route us MAN - DOH - WDH instead of the MAN - LHR - LAD that we had until this morning? I think that it is the closest one world destination to LAD.
Haven't yet had chance to look at flight times.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:21 am

I think you'll need to wait a few days and see what (if any) rerouting arrangement appears . For whatever reason it is quite normal for there to be a delay in any rerouting arrangements- almost as if that department gets taken by surprise!

But with such a short notice cancellation presumably BA has passengers downroute that will be needing to come back, so I think something should appear
Old May 23, 2018, 8:23 am

It means there will be an update in a few days, for example https://www.speedbirdclub.com/en/all...bgosuspention/

Until then the agents won't offer you anything through any sort of discretion. Note the link above has the dreaded/unjustifiable "Not available for Redemptions".
Old May 23, 2018, 8:27 am

Interestingly last year they cancelled 2 flights short notice and offered JNB or LIS rerouting:: https://www.speedbirdclub.com/en/all...rr/luandacanx/
Old May 23, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGill
Would we be able to ask BA to route us MAN - DOH - WDH instead of the MAN - LHR - LAD that we had until this morning? I think that it is the closest one world destination to LAD.
Haven't yet had chance to look at flight times.
You are more likely to get them to agree to LHR-JNB-WDH as there’s a connection on their franchise partner. However, you’ll have to be patient for a few days for the interline team to get in touch with other carriers and see if they’ll accept reroutings. It normally only takes a couple of days but unfortunately this can’t be done ahead of time as word has a habit of escaping early if they do...

One thing in the meantime though... DON’T cancel your onward flight just yet. There *will* be an option of rebooking to LAD somehow or other (likely via Portugal), and just in case this happens to be better overall, you’ll want to keep your options open.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by NickB
What do you mean? BA does rely on Comair for connection to some Southern African destinations outside SA itself (eg: WDH, HRE, VFE) although clearly there is only so much backtracking Northwards that you can make before it starts to make no sense at all to go via JNB.
I meant to say it's a surprise they don't have a Comair flight JNB-LAD, allowing them to at least keep SOME service to LAD as the economy there will start to pick up.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Yes, I'm holding on to the Taag tickets for the moment.
Don't fancy Taag for a long haul though.

I think we'll look at the options and wait a couple of days as you suggest before ringing again.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal
I meant to say it's a surprise they don't have a Comair flight JNB-LAD, allowing them to at least keep SOME service to LAD as the economy there will start to pick up.
I would have thought that Comair network reflects primarily what makes economic sense from a South African perspective. Having the network be determined primarily by a couple of BA long-haul connections would be the tail wagging the dog, would it not? Comair does not have a huge fleet either. That said, I believe that they are expecting some 737 Max next year so perhaps there might be some route expansion.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:46 am

Really a matter of time I would have thought. Lower oil production/jobs, Kwanza devalued by 40% this year due to the end of the dollar peg (so hard to sell seats locally) and Emirates already in the door.

Whether Comair offer something really depends on whether Comair thinks it can make any money from it.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:10 pm

Well, in terms of putting a posiitve gloss, I don't think that you would have anything to envy Alastair Campbell at the height of his spin doctoring days . To borrow your phrase, "another way to look at it" is that if one excepts countries bordering the Mediterranean, BA serves only 7 of the 50 African countries (and that is including Mauritius and the Seychelles in there). And even if you include the Maghreb and Egypt, that only brings us to 10 out of 54.

Admittedly, Lufthansa's coverage in Africa is not stellar either but they have SN Brussels in the Lufthansa Group with extensive coverage of the continent. AF also has a fairly good coverage and the missing bits in Eastern Africa are covered by KL. There is no doubt that BA coverage of Africa is extremely poor and IB does not add much either and certainly does not compare to what is offered by its two competing European airline groups..

More globally, BA's Asian network is also limited, with minimalistic covering of China in particular, and its South American network is quite small too, although this is obviously where IB excels to complement BA so that is fully understandable. All in all, BA is an airline which is very heavily focused on the North Atlantic and IAG as a whole is a group whose intercontinental network is very heavily focused on transatlantic routes and is much weaker with respect to Asia and Africa.
One problem is that the UK is the wrong way in the sense of traffic going from Europe to Africa, or Europe to Asia (even though it can be argued that if folks fly through the ME or IST then why wouldn't they do the same with London?) One of my pet opinions has always been that the restrictive UK Visa regime definitely plays a part, if not for Africa certainly for Asia. I remember reading, and I cannot for the life of me find it again, that VIE had more Chinese arrivals than London. Rome definitely has more cities connecting directly to China than London. One Schengen visa gives access to 20-some countries, the UK Visa (which, I am told, is sometimes harder to get than the Schengen one) gives you only the UK! It all adds up I guess.

Plus, on a side note... if you look at the English-speaking countries in Africa, they're either all connected (Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Kenya) or don't have the critical mass for a direct flight and are reachable through Doha (and even that, I'd say, ain't that much of a traffic - Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia) or through SA (Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia) or are frankly too small...
Old May 23, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
So, we are now down to one single country being served in Southern Africa and four in the whole of Africa, if you exclude the Mediterranean shores and Indian Ocean islands. It feels as if we are gradually getting to the point where over half of all of BA long-haul destinations are in North America and the Caribbean. Perhaps we have already reached that point?
BA has surprisingly few long-haul destinations outside of The Commonwealth + USA, it must be said. Mind you, it’s coverage of those destinations is stellar. Can you imagine any other European airline serving so many distant and small (both in population and size) Caribbean islands? USA has excellent coverage. BA are the only European airline that can make Australia work. Add in good coverage of India, SIN, HKG and one starts to see a pattern.

One wouldn’t have to work too hard to list the remaining LH flights that don’t fit into either of those catagories.
NickB likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
I used to date one of the MF crew who said that crew used to hate this route, so I'm sure there are some happy BA personnel this evening!
Old May 23, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Palal
I guess the answer to that is that Comair is not BA (although BA has a stake in it).
Old May 23, 2018, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by hartwith
I used to date one of the MF crew who said that crew used to hate this route, so I'm sure there are some happy BA personnel this evening!
I love the route, and a lot of crew feel the same! Empty flights, nice hotel, good pool, good weather, decent money and BA pay $60 towards your room bill which made it a cheap trip and a decent money earner. Food was a bit rubbish but no worse than the USA . The last one I did had 17 total on the entire aircraft so not hugely surprising, although the cargo documents were always never ending which I think was the real money spinner.
SK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.