Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA dropping Luanda JUN18

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
It's not just ME3, but the other European legacies that seem to have a much bigger foothold in Africa.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
I too bemoan the rather sad shape of the sub-saharan African route network compared with how I remember it 20-30 years ago. But quite a few of those destinations were on tag-ends, multi-stops flights, and not terrible frequent.
Like a nearly empty jumbo on JNB-GBE route...
Old May 23, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: BA
I am sure this route used to be operated by a 747 a few years ago so it must have gone downhill quickly to be dropped.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'd guess Zimbabwe will return if current trends continue past the election.
With the new airport in Vic Falls, it could potentially come back as a London - Vic Falls - Harare - London triangle, in the same way e.g. KLM serves Tanzania (AMS - Kilimanjaro - Dar es Salaam - AMS).
Old May 23, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Will admit I don't know an awful lot about this part of the world but it always struck me as a bit of an odd destination for BA?

I can't imagine the take up was that great. And I'm not even sure there's a particularly large Angolan population in the UK?
Old May 23, 2018, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Shifting economics of the sub-continent means shifting destinations non-stop from the UK. With a single connection, most of these destinations are still reachable, but with lower capacity on the route, one can expect fares to increase significantly.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
Will admit I don't know an awful lot about this part of the world but it always struck me as a bit of an odd destination for BA?

I can't imagine the take up was that great. And I'm not even sure there's a particularly large Angolan population in the UK?
Oil industry workers flying back and forth.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
BA's operation there had some significant challenges/oddities (look at the schedules), and I think that the general speculation on FT was that whatever traffic is on the route, it's pretty high yield. But it seems possible that this withdrawal stems from the same root cause as the withdrawal from BGO and SVG, which on a selfish basis I personally miss more.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Just as the oil price is coming back up.....
Old May 23, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I'm surprised BA is not considering running short-haul flights on BA Comair from SA
Old May 23, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Globaliser
BA's operation there had some significant challenges/oddities (look at the schedules), and I think that the general speculation on FT was that whatever traffic is on the route, it's pretty high yield. But it seems possible that this withdrawal stems from the same root cause as the withdrawal from BGO and SVG, which on a selfish basis I personally miss more.
Oil & Gas mainly isn’t it? I was under the impression that it was a very high yielding route and that Avios redemptions were like hens teeth because it pulled in so much revenue. As noted above, times obviously changed.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Oil & gas traffic mainly, plus a little bit for other Euro and North American business connections that didn't want route thro Lisbon, Brussels, Paris. The decent yields that made BA so keen to come on the route must have declined of late in line with general oil business malaise. The sudden-ness of the decision, however, points to possible additional operational reasons - possibly in connection with the 787 shortages.

I don't think Comair is possible - I have a feeling Angolan air service agreements are all single designation, ie one airline from either side...
Old May 23, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Another way to look at it is that after Angola gets dropped, BA serves 9 countries generally associated with Africa, which amounts to 7 countries in the top 20 by population, plus MRU and SEZ.
Well, in terms of putting a posiitve gloss, I don't think that you would have anything to envy Alastair Campbell at the height of his spin doctoring days . To borrow your phrase, "another way to look at it" is that if one excepts countries bordering the Mediterranean, BA serves only 7 of the 50 African countries (and that is including Mauritius and the Seychelles in there). And even if you include the Maghreb and Egypt, that only brings us to 10 out of 54.

Admittedly, Lufthansa's coverage in Africa is not stellar either but they have SN Brussels in the Lufthansa Group with extensive coverage of the continent. AF also has a fairly good coverage and the missing bits in Eastern Africa are covered by KL. There is no doubt that BA coverage of Africa is extremely poor and IB does not add much either and certainly does not compare to what is offered by its two competing European airline groups..

More globally, BA's Asian network is also limited, with minimalistic covering of China in particular, and its South American network is quite small too, although this is obviously where IB excels to complement BA so that is fully understandable. All in all, BA is an airline which is very heavily focused on the North Atlantic and IAG as a whole is a group whose intercontinental network is very heavily focused on transatlantic routes and is much weaker with respect to Asia and Africa.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal
I'm surprised BA is not considering running short-haul flights on BA Comair from SA
What do you mean? BA does rely on Comair for connection to some Southern African destinations outside SA itself (eg: WDH, HRE, VFE) although clearly there is only so much backtracking Northwards that you can make before it starts to make no sense at all to go via JNB.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC
Avios redemptions have been very open for at least the last 9 months that I've been watching the route.
We had 4 CW seats booked for September and the cabin was almost empty as of last weekend.
An oil worker friend says that it fills up in the few days before the flight though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.