Wiki Posts
Search

Sabbatical

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Sabbatical

Hi All,

I have decided to take some time off this year after working in my mundane job in tech for 4 years. I plan on traveling a bit more than usual and learning Python and some SQL. I’m so thankful to everyone in this forum for the knowledge I have picked up and it has enabled me to book this really exciting itinerary.

I have a few questions; the first 8 flights are all on one BA PNR would it be possible to split this into 2 or 3 PNR’s so if I miss a flight a don’t have to spend a great deal of time trying to protect every other segment?

All of the below flights are BA redemptions, I currently have pretty good insurance with Cedar Tree. However I’m worried about having a ‘tedcruz' issue where I have scheduled more than enough of time between flights but something causes me to be delayed/miss a flight. Is there an insurer that has a track record of paying out/rebooking Avios flights?

11/09/2018 LHR HKG CX F
12/09/2018 HKG DPS CX B
19/09/2018 DPS HKG CX B
20/09/2018 HKG LHR CX B
07/10/2018 LHR HND JL B
15/10/2018 HND LHR JL B
03/12/2018 LHR MAD IB B
03/12/2018 MAD MIA IB B
10/12/2018 MIA LHR AA E
13/12/2018 LHR SIN BA F
15/12/2018 SIN LGK AK E (revenue)
22/12/2018 LGK SIN AK E (revenue)
22/12/2018 SIN LHR BA F
26/12/2018 LHR GRU BA F
05/01/2019 GRU LHR BA F

I’m happy to share how I managed to book all of it and possibly do a short TR.

Many thanks,
Newfrequent
Kip64 likes this.

Last edited by newfrequent; May 18, 2018 at 7:43 am Reason: airport code
Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
How many miles did you spend?
Old May 18, 2018, 7:38 am
Original Poster

In total 670,000 avios, a GUF1 for GRU and BA companion voucher for the SIN flights.
Old May 18, 2018, 7:41 am

Hopefully you didn't book the last flight in Jan 2018 surely one PNR is better than several from a protection standpoint?
Old May 18, 2018, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavajava
Hopefully you didn't book the last flight in Jan 2018 surely one PNR is better than several from a protection standpoint?
Thanks for pointing that out! @lavajava Sadly I don't have the ability to re do this year! I'd like to split the PNR between trips as you can see there are big gaps, if I missed a leg of my Japan flights I'd like to not have to fight to get my MIA journey protected.
Old May 18, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by newfrequent
Thanks for pointing that out! @lavajava Sadly I don't have the ability to re do this year! I'd like to split the PNR between trips as you can see there are big gaps, if I missed a leg of my Japan flights I'd like to not have to fight to get my MIA journey protected.
I get you. I think this would be possible over the phone with a competent rep.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:02 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by newfrequent
Why would you miss any flights? If you decided that you didn't want to go to Japan, why wouldn't you just change the itinerary (paying the fee) and get the Avios refunded? How else would you get back to the UK to go to Miami?
Old May 18, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I would advise you NOT to try and split this down into smaller PNRs. The issue tedcruz had was his trips were on separate bookings so he had no automatic protection.

You have protection yet are wiling to give it up? We have people askign how to join PNRs to gain it!
Old May 18, 2018, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I would advise you NOT to try and split this down into smaller PNRs. The issue tedcruz had was his trips were on separate bookings so he had no automatic protection.

You have protection yet are wiling to give it up? We have people askign how to join PNRs to gain it!
The only bit's I'd like to split have 2+ weeks in between them. I wouldn't want to split a connection or something v close.

My insurance question mainly relates to the fact that I'll have to purchase local flights at some point and if they're significantly delayed or cancelled what happens to my BA flights.

Originally Posted by :D!
Why would you miss any flights? If you decided that you didn't want to go to Japan, why wouldn't you just change the itinerary (paying the fee) and get the Avios refunded? How else would you get back to the UK to go to Miami?
I'd ideally like to change the itinerary if possible, but as the Japan flights are on a multi carrier booking, I think I'd be very difficult to change after I take the first leg of that trip.
There are more fun ways to get back to the UK from Japan!!!! I'm there for a large Indian wedding so there could be a spare seat on a friends family plane home.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:41 am

If you were to split (and I agree with others that I don't see the point), wouldn't you have to work out in advance which leg you were planning to miss and make that the last sector on that PNR?
Old May 18, 2018, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
If you were to split (and I agree with others that I don't see the point), wouldn't you have to work out in advance which leg you were planning to miss and make that the last sector on that PNR?
Yep! The ideal split would be in 3 PNR's (shown below).

The only reason I want to split is incase I can't make one of the flights. This would realistically be on the return leg, as I'd found another route or method of transport or because I wanted to pop into another city.

PNR 1
11/09/2018 LHR HKG CX F
12/09/2018 HKG DPS CX B
19/09/2018 DPS HKG CX B
20/09/2018 HKG LHR CX B

PNR 2
07/10/2018 LHR HND JL B
15/10/2018 HND LHR JL B

PNR 3
03/12/2018 LHR MAD IB B
03/12/2018 MAD MIA IB B
Old May 18, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Wait, am I missing something? If I'm in the middle of a complex, multi-leg itinerary that might go awry, can I just call BA and ask them to splinter the rest off under a separate PNR?!
Old May 18, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
sounds like rather than "gain protection" you are looking for a way to change your booking to be more flexible because you are no longer sure these will be your travel plans
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I join others in thinking that there is no logical reason for trying to split the itinerary now. Even taking your point about what you might want to miss/change at face value, surely, you are best keeping a single itinerary now and then If and when you start feeling you'd rather go ad libitum, you can call them maybe a week or 2 before the problematic flight and ask about changing or splitting. If it would be possible now, then it will be possible then anyway and instead of double-guessing where problems might occur now that you have booked anyway, you'll do it based on actual need?
Old May 19, 2018, 1:11 am

There does seem to be some excessive worrying here. I think it is worth considering that there is a difference between a hypothetical problem and a current one before entering problem-solving mode.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.