Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Best/Most Efficent use of 2 4 1 & Avios Points from London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best/Most Efficent use of 2 4 1 & Avios Points from London

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
You've had some good answers, Hong Kong was my first thought as well, availability seems fairly decent on that route (it's one I've been tracking myself for use of a 2-4-1)

Open jaw is as you surmise - arriving to and leaving from different airports, with a "surface sector" in between which despite the name, you will almost certainly fly The distance between the 2 airports should be less than the distance from LHR - something that would seem to be a given in your case.

You can search for availability for each leg individually - if you have the BA app I find it really good for this. Select "Reward Flights" and "Reward Flight Finder", enter a destination city, dates, passengers, first class etc - you'll get a nice horizontal scrolling list of availability. For example, you could fly out to HKG on 28th Nov.

If doing an open jaw, simply change the city and only look at the return options for the second destination.

Other considerations beyond those already mentioned:

- is First a regular thing for you or a rare treat. If the latter, do you want to consider things like access to the Concorde Room, which means a destination that leaves from T5
- is the particular aircraft important? Many rate the A380 as the best, while others say 1A/K in a 747 is a unique experience (not one I've done yet myself)

Thanks Bertie
I think this would be a one off as we normally travel in Business and are happy with that plus we normally get really good deals and don't have to stress about availability of rewards.
Aircraft not important tbh, although I'm now looking at SIN and KUL :-)

Thanks for everyones help

Si
Old May 17, 2018, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pauldb
BKK doesn't have F, and HKG is a marginally better option to come home from in F as you get to use the Cathay F lounges.

How about a flight to SIN (or KUL), then a cheap flight to a beach (eg Phuket or Da Nang), from where you can use avios to get a Cathay Dragon flight up to HKG.
OK, I really like this, so into SIN and stay here for a short stay ( is there much to see and do here ? ) then short flight to BKK for more beach relaxation, then a short flight to HKG to get a flight home.

Do flights to SIN go from Terminal 5 ?

Si
Old May 17, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by BigladUK
OK, I really like this, so into SIN and stay here for a short stay ( is there much to see and do here ? ) then short flight to BKK for more beach relaxation, then a short flight to HKG to get a flight home.

Si
Yes SIN is T5, and there's plenty to see : The World’s Best Business Class Experience to the City in a Garden

You can of course add in BKK as well but I put in Phuket and Da Nang as you can fly there directly from SIN/KUL and HKG if you don't need a third city stop. Likewise Chaing Mai, Cambodia or the Phillipines maybe. Make sure you check the seasons/weather though for your beach.
BigladUK likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yes T5 and Concorde room first..do 2/3 nights at marina bay and then fly off somewhere else
BigladUK likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I’d recommend Krabi direct from Singapore
BigladUK likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by BigladUK

Si
Yes, SIN is T5 - you'd very happily spend a few days there, the dining scene in particular seems to have become more interesting in the past year or two, there are some cultural things to see (e.g the new Art Museum) it's a very easy place to visit and get around (given it is so compact), and there are some good hotel options
BigladUK likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
On the long haul network, the departing-from-T3 destinations would seem to be (courtesy of here: List of BA flights from T3)

Miami, Denver, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Vancouver, Nairobi and Cape Town.

I can't promise that list to be 100% accurate but most other (long haul) destinations should be served from T5.

You can always check here for a specific travel date: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...rport-terminal
BigladUK likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:25 am

If this is your first F then pick a destination that flies from T5. The T3 lounges are fine but the Concorde Room (CCR) in T5 is one of the world's best lounge experiences. It does get a lot of criticism here on FT, as does F itself, but this comes from people who fly a great deal and have forgotten their early F experiences and the resultant sense of wonderment that then addicted them to the F experience.

I still remember the thrill of my first F. Hours spent on the web looking at information, reviews, comments etc, not just from BA but other airline's first cabins too. Then the magic door, bubbles and good food and the flight itself. I then broadened my first experience with various other airlines but of course there is no 241 with them. BA F is not now my top choice (JAL is) but it is nonetheless a great experience.
BigladUK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.