Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HELP!!! Delayed flight on KA and may miss Amex 2-4-1 flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP!!! Delayed flight on KA and may miss Amex 2-4-1 flight

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Oh my! Credit to you for keeping your sense of humour!
Agreed - you are showing commendable fortitude in what must be very trying circumstances - a refreshing change from many of the rants we get on here. I hope the rest of your travels go as smoothly as possible.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Agreed - you are showing commendable fortitude in what must be very trying circumstances - a refreshing change from many of the rants we get on here. I hope the rest of your travels go as smoothly as possible.
Thanks. As I would say, 'It's all in G-d's hands!!!'
Old May 17, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tedcruz
I don't want to risk flying on a Friday and landing in the afternoon. This JL worked out quite well and insurance should cover as I can prove that it was the cheapest option. And, I'm in PVG right now...
Oops... understand your point though and sometimes insurance is best! Let's hope for an op-up.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Originally Posted by Cymro
Oops... understand your point though and sometimes insurance is best! Let's hope for an op-up.
I refer you to post #62 .
Cymro and gustavmahler like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:01 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I am travelling with my Dad, who is fed up!!!
Feed him. He's one of us. Simple

M
tedcruz likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I refer you to post #62 .
seems you are following me. I landed at hnd a few hours back on JL22 which had spare seats in Y from PEK, should have come on this direct service
Old May 17, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Poor op. Sounds like a fairly unpleasant experience with little that could be done at any stage. Hope you’ll arrive ok and sympathise with the feeling one feels more worried about how family members will react to travel incidents even if you are as calm as can be yourself.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
BA should have rebooked you on the next available service. As per the conditions of carriage https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ns-of-carriage

3c4) If you need to change any aspect of your transportation because of events beyond your control, you must contact us as soon as possible. We will use reasonable efforts to transport you to your next stopover or final destination, without re-calculating the fare.

Unless you didn't let BA know that you were being affected by an event beyond your control?
Old May 17, 2018, 10:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mario
BA should have rebooked you on the next available service. As per the conditions of carriage https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ns-of-carriage

3c4) If you need to change any aspect of your transportation because of events beyond your control, you must contact us as soon as possible. We will use reasonable efforts to transport you to your next stopover or final destination, without re-calculating the fare.

Unless you didn't let BA know that you were being affected by an event beyond your control?
And just for completeness, the term events beyond your control is defined.

Events beyond your control - unusual and unforeseeable circumstances which you cannot control and the consequences of which you could not have avoided even if you had taken all due care.
This point has been discussed before in plenty of threads, but the scope is certainly not clear for this or whether the OP's situation would be covered. It is worth debate but it is not as clear cut as you seem to be advising.
Often1 and gustavmahler like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Disaster....
Old May 17, 2018, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP should certainly not rely on the BA COC provision as there are many things he could have done to avoid this situation. Not the least of which was to purchase a connection, in which case he would have been protected and rebooked by BA.

Without reading the exact provisions of OP's insurance contract, it is equally unclear that a no show between two tickets will be covered. Same reason as above. A risk which OP chose to take.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Often1
OP should certainly not rely on the BA COC provision as there are many things he could have done to avoid this situation. Not the least of which was to purchase a connection, in which case he would have been protected and rebooked by BA.
Are you able to add a connecting non-BA flight with the AMEX offer?
Old May 17, 2018, 5:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911
Are you able to add a connecting non-BA flight with the AMEX offer?
you mean on to a booking made with an amex 2-4-1 companion voucher? no, the voucher terms are that it is only for BA flights. knowing this you need to plan accordingly if you are transferring from one ticket to another and ensure sufficient time is left between tickets to reduce the risks due to delays etc. it's the same principle when positioning for an exEU ticket.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by KARFA
you mean on to a booking made with an amex 2-4-1 companion voucher? no, the voucher terms are that it is only for BA flights. knowing this you need to plan accordingly if you are transferring from one ticket to another and ensure sufficient time is left between tickets to reduce the risks due to delays etc. it's the same principle when positioning for an exEU ticket.
I'm not sure if tom911's question was rhetorical, along the lines of BA not permitting a mixed carrier itinerary so OP made reasonable provision within the constraints of that. Arguing that they shouldn't have used the 2-4-1 (which would have allowed a connecting itinerary) might be seen as unreasonable, since that effectively (largely) restricts iternaries that a customer can rely on end-to-end carriage for to single BA hops from LON. It would be quite reasonable for BA to allow multi-sector itineraries but only apply the 2-4-1 to BA sectors, but they choose not to.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I'm not sure if tom911's question was rhetorical, along the lines of BA not permitting a mixed carrier itinerary so OP made reasonable provision within the constraints of that. Arguing that they shouldn't have used the 2-4-1 (which would have allowed a connecting itinerary) might be seen as unreasonable, since that effectively (largely) restricts iternaries that a customer can rely on end-to-end carriage for to single BA hops from LON. It would be quite reasonable for BA to allow multi-sector itineraries but only apply the 2-4-1 to BA sectors, but they choose not to.
I think that if the argument is that one had "no choice" but to buy separate tickets because one "had" to use a 2-4-1 for the purposes of the BA CoC protection, it would be a very weak argument. We all understand why the OP booked his itineraries the way that he did, and indeed, as far as I can see, everyone has been expressing sympathies for his misfortune as we all tend, quite thankfully, to prefer stories that end well on our forum, but I think that the argument expressed above that in that particular configuration, it is quite unlikely that BA would have allowed a free change holds. From what I have heard about the experience of others, not least on this forum, BA tends to apply that clause quite restrictively and rarely seems to show sympathy in the case of separate itineraries except in the past (and I don't even think that this is true any more), in the case of a badly delayed long haul BA flight followed by a separate booking for a BA short haul flight (and not in the other direction). Moreover, even when the article is invoked, the level of support seems to vary - it often only means that the person affected will be allowed to rebooked without paying the fee but still having to fork the fare difference. On a 2-4-1 booking, it is very easy to see how quickly this can add up.

On the whole, the OP was very unlucky. I think that the only hope would have been for CX to do more than they did but BA, whose flights were unaffected by any change bar a slight delay which effectively was favourable to the OP but not enough was not likely to be helpful. An expensive misfortune.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.