Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointing CW experience.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
What a diabolical menu choice - how are they going to cope with "new" [now old] catering when they can't get this basic service in a timely manner on this route?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load

As an aside, I was rather amused - albeit in a macabre sense - that the CSM actually felt that it was more appropriate to quibble with you (over the unacceptably lengthy waiting time merely to get something as basic as an initial drink in a premium cabin), than to offer apologies for the shoddy service.
Indeed.

So no, williamn78, you are not wrong to find the service poor. Complain, not that you’ll get anything for it, but it might make you feel better.

next time go with AC if you can? I keep pestering my husband that we should give them a go - the in-laws are in Toronto so we get back and forth - but he refuses. He thinks they still fly DC-8s fitted out with deck chairs, or something 😁
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BA235
...next time go with AC if you can? I keep pestering my husband that we should give them a go - the in-laws are in Toronto so we get back and forth - but he refuses. He thinks they still fly DC-8s fitted out with deck chairs, or something ...
AC have had Dreamliners and PE for a while now. IMHO their daytime YYZ-LHR is good. BA don’t yet offer this, LHR-PIT etc is more important.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:04 am

Seems shaming on social media gets a better response these day and at least you get satisfaction knowing the audience it will reach.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by williamn78
Well I did complain and just got a response. No avios, but it is at least a decently written response and it came relatively quickly. Interesting to note that they refer to the lounge in YYZ as being closed for refurbishment. I shall keep my fingers crossed for some service recovery on my next flight!

Thanks for contacting us about your flight to London Gatwick on 04 May, when you travelled in our Club World cabin. Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back to you.
Standard cut and paste answers relative to all points you raised, very standard BA.
I have a number that are almost identical... 😁
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:12 am

I flew this flight back in July and had the same issues with poor food / service and funnily enough got the same whoops sorry we'll try better next time reply!
williamn78 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
So my latest complaint garnered the below response. Fine in what it addresses, though I note the page in question has still not changed, 3 weeks later on:

Thanks for your email. I'm sorry for the delay in my reply. It's concerning to read about the issues you had on your flight to London Gatwick in our Club World cabin, on 7 August.

I've reached out to our Digital Content Team who manage the information displayed on our website. It's came to light that the original list which displayed our sleeper service flights was removed off our website, due to the information being out of date. However, the list was still being shown under our 'Business Class Lounges' page. They are going to either look at removing this list, or updating it so passengers are clear which flights operate the sleeper service.

I've also been told an investigation is now underway to advertise the sleeper service part of your flight when making a booking. This will give extra clarity on what service is being offered when you choose to travel with us.

We're very grateful you've taken the time to let us know what happened when you travelled with us. It’s only through your feedback we’re able to focus on areas where we need to improve, so we can offer you the best possible service. Sometimes it can take time for us to fix the problems we’re having, but we’ll always work hard to make sure they get resolved. Our Chairman and CEO, Alex Cruz, makes sure we improve continuously across all areas of our business, and I know you’ll see positive changes very soon.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention. It was presumed your initial complaint was an isolated incident but as this is the second time this has occurred, it's clearly not the case. Hopefully the information I've provided will help you in the future when you choose to book with us. We appreciate your support as a Silver Executive Club member. If I can help you with anything else, please use the blue link below my name to reply.

I followed up to ask whether they might like to address my points about slow service, rude service and terrible food and got the below which is basically the same copy and paste from my very first complaint response - see several posts above. I kinda feel like giving up with BA. I have one CW return trip booked and if its as terrible as before I think I'm going to switch to another alliance.

Thanks for taking the time to get back in touch. I'm sorry for the delay in my reply.

Our staff are highly trained and we’re really proud of the service we offer, so I’m sorry to hear our crew weren’t behaving as professionally as we expect them to be, when you approached the galley to ask about the delay in serving your beverage.

You’re clearly unhappy with the time we served your food and I can understand why, especially as you were also waiting for your beverage. When we decide when to serve your meal it can be difficult to get it right for everyone and we have to consider whether your flight is during the day or at night. Passengers who join us at a stop-over point often have different requirements to people who are with us from the beginning of the journey. However, I realise this doesn’t change your own experience and I’m sorry you’re feeling let down.

We refresh our menus in Club World every month and we include dishes that our customers tell us they enjoy. We also use Umami rich ingredients in our meals, as this improves the flavour of our food when in the air. All meals we serve in Club World are freshly prepared and we use locally sourced and seasonal ingredients wherever possible. We normally get very good feedback about our catering, so I’m disappointed to hear you thought the salmon was dry and inedible.

We're very grateful you've taken the time to let us know what happened when you travelled with us. It’s only through your feedback we’re able to focus on areas where we need to improve, so we can offer you the best possible service. Sometimes it can take time for us to fix the problems we’re having, but we’ll always work hard to make sure they get resolved. Our Chairman and CEO, Alex Cruz, makes sure we improve continuously across all areas of our business, and I know you’ll see positive changes very soon.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
As others have already said, it’s probably best fhat you now look to take your business elsewhere. Certainly you should also lodge a strongly-worded formal complaint ; whether any long-term good will come of it ..... hmm.... that’s another matter of course.

I’ve had some pretty dodgy CW flights myself - but am now beginning to think I got off lightly by comparison with your own experiences

As an aside, I was rather amused - albeit in a macabre sense - that the CSM actually felt that it was more appropriate to quibble with you (over the unacceptably lengthy waiting time merely to get something as basic as an initial drink in a premium cabin), than to offer apologies for the shoddy service.
The customer is always right. Even when they are wrong.

Absolutely not implying you are wrong, but the above was my customer service training.

If a customer feels they have been waiting too long, they have been waiting too long.

For the cabin crew to quibble screams of pettiness. An apology would likely have sufficed, but because of their intransigence I reckon you'll think twice about giving BA your business again.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Sorry to read of your disappointing flights, I think given the issue you had on the initial flight I would have checked whether this was still a sleeper service, and adjusted my eating plans accordingly, did you ask at check-in? However it really shouldn’t be incumbent on the pax to find out in the first place and I hope BA improve their signposting of their offering for future passengers.

I suspect the CSM was attempting,albeit unsuccessfully, to apologies for the delay in the drink service by explaining that they can’t start preparing the trolley until they are released from their seats. 30 minutes is not unusual and it is for this reason that many airlines serve a pre-departure beverage. I’d agree that BA could certainly improve things in this regard, whether it extends to a PDB or taking orders before taking seats for take-off, there are certainly ways as well as pre-flight dining to maximise your sleep time.

I do have to admit that I did find it intriguing that you received what you felt was a satisfactory response from BA, but after some moaning from the usual suspects on here, this became dissatisfaction.

I’m sure there are people, and to be clear this is not directed at the OP, on FT who complain almost after every flight and do wonder why they return to the same airline if they are that dissatisfied, obviously one shouldn’t over-simplify individual circumstances; perhaps it is their travel policy, perhaps because the failings at the time don’t inspire them to take a indirect, more expensive or more inconvenient flight or perhaps a few may even see it as a way to increase their avios balance.

I hope your other flight to LHR in July was ok and hopefully you are now forewarned for any future flight purchases and hopefully will be able to use the collective wisdom of FT to keep you informed; I learn something new almost every time I use this site.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: ECH Gold
The grass is not always greener

for those of you commenting on go with AC, my experience in business with them was poor. It was a sleeper service , food offering worse than BA ! My entertainment was not working and when highlighted was simply told the ground staff should have told you the entertainment was not working and if u want to watch a movie u will have to go sit in coach.
When the meal finally arrived a cooked salmon dish it was clock cold in the middle, I informed the dis interested crew member. 2 minutes later the galley crew member came flying out in defence that it can't be cold. On inspection I got a mumbled apology and an offer of another meal which I declined.
After sleeping I asked to see the senior who was just as dis interested and simply gave me a comments card .

In contrast 2 weeks ago I flew back from Yul with BA , on a 787 . 10pm departure. Crew were very switched on, a drink and express option within 15 minutes of take off , crew topped drinks up the whole time . They were attentive, approachable and nothing was to much trouble .
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by navylad
Sorry to read of your disappointing flights, I think given the issue you had on the initial flight I would have checked whether this was still a sleeper service, and adjusted my eating plans accordingly, did you ask at check-in? However it really shouldn’t be incumbent on the pax to find out in the first place and I hope BA improve their signposting of their offering for future passengers.

I suspect the CSM was attempting,albeit unsuccessfully, to apologies for the delay in the drink service by explaining that they can’t start preparing the trolley until they are released from their seats. 30 minutes is not unusual and it is for this reason that many airlines serve a pre-departure beverage. I’d agree that BA could certainly improve things in this regard, whether it extends to a PDB or taking orders before taking seats for take-off, there are certainly ways as well as pre-flight dining to maximise your sleep time.

I do have to admit that I did find it intriguing that you received what you felt was a satisfactory response from BA, but after some moaning from the usual suspects on here, this became dissatisfaction.

I’m sure there are people, and to be clear this is not directed at the OP, on FT who complain almost after every flight and do wonder why they return to the same airline if they are that dissatisfied, obviously one shouldn’t over-simplify individual circumstances; perhaps it is their travel policy, perhaps because the failings at the time don’t inspire them to take a indirect, more expensive or more inconvenient flight or perhaps a few may even see it as a way to increase their avios balance.

I hope your other flight to LHR in July was ok and hopefully you are now forewarned for any future flight purchases and hopefully will be able to use the collective wisdom of FT to keep you informed; I learn something new almost every time I use this site.

Well I did keep checking the website (still not updated), but to be honest given the BA lounge in YYZ was closed at the time it wouldn't have made much difference - I wouldn't have wanted to dine beforehand as the food options in the replacement Plaza Premium lounge were so poor.

I'm glad I did complain a second time as I did get some compensation, so value the advice of the 'usual suspects' to go back and further it. Should note that this is the first complaint I have made to BA in 6 years of regular flying with them.

Last edited by williamn78; Oct 9, 2018 at 8:38 am
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
So my latest complaint garnered the below response [from BA Customer Services]. ...

... It's came to light ...
Really? Where do they find these people?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by henry999
Really? Where do they find these people?
Some of the waffle in those letters is truly beyond belief - not to mention the standard of English.

One of my favourite lines was this gem :

I've also been told an investigation is now underway to advertise the sleeper service part of your flight when making a booking.”

One has to wonder just who this ‘investigation’ might involve : perhaps the FBI .... Interpol ..... United Nations .....
Sealink, williamn78 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
I'm glad I did complain a second time as I did some compensation, so value the advice of the 'usual suspects' to go back and further it. Should note that this is the first complaint I have made to BA in 6 years of regular flying with them.
You did the right thing to revert; a poor experience deserving some sort of compensation. BA should be held to account in situations like this, and if enough folks take the time to complain when they are unhappy hopefully things improve for all in the long-run
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Hello,

Sorry if this is a daft question, but does this 'sleeper service' thing also apply to passengers flying in First Class?

My daughter (god bless her) has paid for me to fly First class on the overnight BA296 from Chicago (ORD) to Hearhrow (LHR) early next year on my way back from Albuquerque in New Mexico.

Never having travelled 'in the posh pointy end' before, I would really like to make the most of the experience. Also I cannot sleep on aircraft anyway (if we are going down over the 'oggin' I damn well want to know about it and be ready with my life jacket suitably poised). Plus my niece has already staked her claim for my (unused) First Class pyjamas!

I would prefer to eat 'in flight' rather than pre-flight (it gives me chance to take my mind off being in a metal tube hurtling down into the Atlantic for a while).

Many thanks

BM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.