Disappointing CW experience.

Old May 15, 18, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
Disappointing CW experience.

I flew on BA2270 from YYZ to LGW back on May 4th in J. YYZ was chaos that day because of high winds but BA staff kept everyone informed in the very very busy lounge, with passenger for 2-3 flights waiting, for BA alone. Miraculously our flight had only a minor delay.

I chose not to eat in the lounge given the poor options available in the PP lounge and intended to eat on the plane - a 19.45 departure.

On board I was very surprised that it was being operated as a sleeper service, with only two options (one cold) and no starters. As far as I am aware this wasn't advertised as such. The food when it came was absolutely dire, and two of my first choice wines were unavailable.

Service was slow and unpolished. 40 minutes to first drinks
service and we definitely felt forgotten about in the smaller rear cabin.

Flying J is a once or twice a year treat for me so I was pretty disappointed (even though I had low expectations given this was a LGW flight. Is there any point complaining?
hugolover likes this.
Old May 15, 18, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yes - short and concise complaint will get you probably 10,000 Avios for catering shortfall now Customer Services are allowed to be a little more generous.

A year or so ago this was a struggle to get this for a broken F seat
Old May 15, 18, 7:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by williamn78 View Post
... Is there any point complaining?
Yes, if ever you are not happy with the service/product complain lest BA thinks it can get away with these things.
Old May 15, 18, 7:42 am
Suspended

It’s one of the shortest transatlantic flights, so highly likely to be a sleeper service. The food in the lounge should be better and just as good as the BOS lounge.
BA don’t allow a long enough stop over for crew, it’s not surprising the service is poor.
Complain and read up about CEDR, BA don’t deserve your money for this shambles.
hugolover likes this.
Old May 15, 18, 7:50 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Yes, please do complain - as noted, make it short, concise, unemotional. Service recovery seems to be a little more generous recently, and even if you have no interest in that they might at least update their information.

viz, it may be likely to be a sleeper service, but it is not currently listed as one: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...e/public/en_gb (only the LHR route is)
Old May 15, 18, 8:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BertieBadger View Post
..,viz, it may be likely to be a sleeper service, but it is not very currently listed as one: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...e/public/en_gb (only the LHR route is)
‘Tis standard BA incompetence. Why the inconsistency on so many things?
Old May 15, 18, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
And I thought the hard product in J was the worst part. Must have been a grim flight if service and food/drink was bad also.
Old May 15, 18, 11:06 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by richardwft View Post
BA would almost certainly defend any legal route by claiming this was loss of enjoyment which attracts zilch under the Montreal Convention. It’s hard to see CEDR going against that.

The only escalation route I see is to use the Consumer Rights Act to show BA didn’t deliver to contract. This, however, seems too subjective in the case of a precise wine not being available or the food not being to the OP’s taste.

Whilst I’m all for airlines delivering properly, this is one where I think the OP will have to suck up whatever Customer Service offer. If that’s highly insulting then it would seem sensible to vote with one’s feet and use an airline that better understands the need to deliver service properly next time.
Old May 15, 18, 11:19 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
What is that main supposed to be?
Old May 15, 18, 11:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer View Post
BA would almost certainly defend any legal route by claiming this was loss of enjoyment which attracts zilch under the Montreal Convention. It’s hard to see CEDR going against that....
I said ‘read up on CEDR’ which is an education recommendation.

Is CEDR a ‘legal route’?
Old May 15, 18, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jagboi View Post
What is that main supposed to be?
Vegetarian lasagne
Old May 15, 18, 11:46 am
Original Poster

It’s one of the shortest transatlantic flights, so highly likely to be a sleeper service. The food in the lounge should be better and just as good as the BOS lounge.
BA don’t allow a long enough stop over for crew, it’s not surprising the service is poor.
Unfortunately the BA lounge at YYZ was closed suddenly last autumn and now the only provision is the Plaza Premium lounge (see long running thread elsewhere).
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old May 15, 18, 11:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
This is interesting - at what point when one is booking does one learn that it is a Sleeper Service?
Old May 15, 18, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
This is interesting - at what point when one is booking does one learn that it is a Sleeper Service?
After they’ve advised you there’s no storage space and no direct aisle access.
Old May 15, 18, 12:54 pm
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador

I said ‘read up on CEDR’ which is an education recommendation.

Is CEDR a ‘legal route’?
Yes, it’s a legal route in the sense that - in an airline context - it will generally consider legal arguments. It was expected to apply a common sense approach. That really does not seem to be panning out given how many times the airline wins.

I wouldn’t want the OP to be, imho, guided into thinking that was a recommendation which would work well, which is how it came across to me. Apologies if that wasn’t the intention.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: