Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Crossing to the dark side...easyjet in this case

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crossing to the dark side...easyjet in this case

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by orbitmic

isnt tgat à bit of an idiosyncratic case-specific argument though? I presume you’re comparing Gatwick express to tube because Gatwick express is cheaper than Heathrow express and you can get normal trains such as thameslink from central London to Gatwick with an Oyster card for a fraction of the price of Gatwick express without increasing travel time.

Yes, I live in West London. Same time to Heathrow or Gatwick, just a much different cost So my argument stands for me, but then of course I do understand why others would pick something else. Although with the new Crossrail, and week-end fares for the HEX, I would argue it is still cheaper to get to Heathrow from central London.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I agree with what you and CWS amongst others have said about Easyjet & Ryanair using the worst terminals/piers and the queueing on stairs and on the tarmac being the biggest downsides vs legacy carriers like BA.

But, in terms of your other points (lounge, seat selection, fast track), generally all of these can be purchased either from the airline or the airport operator?or a third party. So in today’s unbundled world, just add the cost of these to the overall price comparison.

Possibly true, but i'd like to think if I'm putting 50 flights a year their way they would give me those things for free.

Plus, in MXP i dont think there even is a lounge in T2?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by thebigben
Although with the new Crossrail, and week-end fares for the HEX, I would argue it is still cheaper to get to Heathrow from central London.
Definitely much cheaper to Heathrow if you go by tube. For train however, even with Crossrail, the difference is minimal: zone 1 station to Heathrow off peak with Oyster card is £10.10, zone 1 mainline station like Blackfriars, kings cross or Charing Cross to Gatwick off peak with Oyster card is £10.60. Roughly similar times too but I’d certainly call Crossrail more convenient when it fully opens. Weekend fares on hex are quite a bit more I believe, much faster if you go to Paddington though if you go anywhere else as I do it’s not too great a solution so both Crossrail and Gatwick trains work a lot better for me.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic

Definitely much cheaper to Heathrow if you go by tube. For train however, even with Crossrail, the difference is minimal: zone 1 station to Heathrow off peak with Oyster card is £10.10, zone 1 mainline station like Blackfriars, kings cross or Charing Cross to Gatwick off peak with Oyster card is £10.60. Roughly similar times too but I’d certainly call Crossrail more convenient when it fully opens. Weekend fares on hex are quite a bit more I believe, much faster if you go to Paddington though if you go anywhere else as I do it’s not too great a solution so both Crossrail and Gatwick trains work a lot better for me.
It’s actually only £8.30 from the mainline stations you mention to Gatwick. The £10.60 fare is from other zone 1/2 Tube/rail stations which include a zone 1 Tube/rail transfer.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

It’s actually only £8.30 from the mainline stations you mention to Gatwick. The £10.60 fare is from other zone 1/2 Tube/rail stations which include a zone 1 Tube/rail transfer.
ah thanks!! ^ I’ll admit my problem with Oyster is I never check what I’m charged!! that makes Gatwick transport even cheaper then except for the tube.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
My flying into Europe is mainly with BA as a Silver in Y as I can travel to where I work direct from LHR.or occasionally BHX.
Last week a nice little job in NAP came in, obviously that is a LGW route, which for me living along the M40 is to far/painful.

So I took LH....LHR- MUC-NAP wih a 40 min connection, first flight was delayed 30 mins. Obviously this means the connection is impossible, upon arrival in MUC received a TXT that the NAP flight was delayed 1 hour...phew..all good and arrived the same day.

The return was on the NAP-MUC 6am departure allowing a 1 hour connection in MUC, sods law that this flight was delayed 50mins...So not expecting to make my connection for the last flight MUC-LHR, Wandered through MUC airport to the departure gate to find they had allowed a few minutes for me to arrive...Phew..
Arrived LHR thinking no way my hold luggage would have made it on board, proceeded to put in a claim for a missing bag...only to be advised that it had also made the flight..
Just completely amazed at the LH efficiency in the baggage transfer system at MUC, considering at times BA seem to leave my bags at LHR on a direct flight.

For me to get the lowest Lounge access on LH its 30 flights (7.5 trips for me) and due to the IT crash last year BA have allowed me to stay Silver until late 2020...The novelty has worn off for the galleries lounges these days at LHR, I prefer to buy a decent meal before flying...(although the other OW lounges in T3 make my day, if flying from there)

For me now its about cost and timings not the brand... .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.