Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Crossing to the dark side...easyjet in this case

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crossing to the dark side...easyjet in this case

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by BAAZ
Agreed - This for me is by far and away the worst aspect of U2. It spoils an otherwise generally very good experience indeed: so many of their systems (checkin, automated baggage tag dispensing, in-flight catering, etc) just seem to be better designed and implemented than BA's.
EasyJet often run gates with one agent (in the airports I use at least) - they get everyone checked into a holding area, then the agent closes it and moves round to the front and lets the people on. It's very efficient in my experience. They're also extremely good at enforcing speedy boarding priority.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
indeed. Bisonrav’s référence on that has totally lost me. Apart from Berlin and indeed London if using LTN or STN, U2 is all main airports.]
Don't forgét, théy're at TXL now in Berlin, too!!!
Old May 14, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Don't forgét, théy're at TXL now in Berlin, too!!!
Yes, I did think of mentioning it but I realise that for the moment it is still a limited (but fast growing!) network! ^
Old May 14, 2018, 11:03 am
Suspended

easyJet have ordered 30 A321 aircraft, so there’ll be plenty of extra capacity for the darksiders.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by All She Wrote
easyJet plus is definitely worth the money if you fly with them a few times a year. Front row seats are usually £20-25 each way, so within 4 return flights you've got your money back. Plus you get fast track security and priority boarding at most airports. You can also switch to earlier flights for free for no cost at all.
Agree - Got my EasyJet Plus £189 on board last summer. Also been given 'Flight Club' status as C-W-S mentioned up thread. All paid for themselves inc changing flights for free.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
easyJet do often use the cheap end of existing airports, AMS is another example. But there is one really bad aspect of U2, very different from BA, which is that they do expect people to queue and be ready for boarding, including Priority, well before the aircraft has even landed. Their app has Flightradar embedded into it so while you wait in the queue - sometimes outdoors - you can see for yourself that the aircraft is still 100km away. Ryanair also do this. You can of course opt out of this and wait for the "last remaining customers" annoucement, but sometimes you will lose your cabin baggage as a result, even if Priority.
Fully agree - You must be on your toes when they announce 'gate open' OR priority or not you do stand to loose out.

Originally Posted by BAAZ
Agreed - This for me is by far and away the worst aspect of U2. It spoils an otherwise generally very good experience indeed: so many of their systems (checkin, automated baggage tag dispensing, in-flight catering, etc) just seem to be better designed and implemented than BA's.
I also find their back/front end service very good inc the app. Generally nice down to earth CC.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:14 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I've started using the 'Hands Free' option at AMS. You can drop your hand baggage off for EUR6 (it should be free IMO) and then just turn up as the gate closes. No need to worry about getting there 50 minutes beforehand to ensure you get overhead space - there are often 50+ people in the Speedy Boarding area. It's a bit of an extra wait at MAN, but not too bad - it's an extra glass of wine in the Privium lounge
bisonrav likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Having flown FR just a couple of times and never having flown on U2, this thread is a very interesting read!!
Old May 14, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I have a boat in Mallorca and commute every other week.

This is year I am mostly on ba as following the monarch slots the fares are way way down

like the op I needed to make a change from a Wednesday to a Friday. £300 odd. A new ba fare was about £129 ( how can it be more to change !) and easyJet was £27 one way.

The ba flight will will just be left to wilt

Old May 14, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
For those of us who live outside the M25/SE BA is a much less viable option than the Jet2/easyJet/Ryanair offerings from a local airport. BA might be overall more polished than easyJet and certainly FR, but Im already landing at my destination while I'd still be at T5 with BA, so that counts for a lot. The seats are the same as easyJet and the BoB is arguably better on easyJet too, so why waste time on a connection?

I do like Club Europe and Club World and Executive Club is a brilliant FFP. I think the T5 lounges are great too. If I were to live close to LHR I think BA would easily be my first choice. But living further north BA travel, particularly on EU trips, is hard to justify on grounds of comfort, convenience or cost.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I think Easyjet are pretty good and have been using them more since the recent BA enhancements lowered standardsbut left prices more or less where they were. I just wish that they flew to more destinations.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
I think Easyjet are pretty good and have been using them more since the recent BA enhancements lowered standardsbut left prices more or less where they were. I just wish that they flew to more destinations.
Which destinations? There aren't many left in Europe that easyJet doesn't fly to!
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Which destinations? There aren't many left in Europe that easyJet doesn't fly to!
LDnn1 - just realized hat I left out two crucial words - “from Malta,”!
Old May 14, 2018, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
LDnn1 - just realized hat I left out two crucial words - “from Malta,”!
Ah well, if Air Malta goes the way of various other small flag carriers then in due course you may see some more LCC expansion down there...
Old May 14, 2018, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by bisonrav

*I would rather scratch my PNR into my retina with a shard of glass than fly Ryanair though.

I think you might retain memories of the earlier days of Ryanair, and the yobbish antics of Michael O'Leary before the tranquilisers kicked in.

Book early, select a seat, pay for fast boarding and you'll be fine - just so long as you follow the (easily understood) rules, and you are happy with onboard service that is cheerful rather than polished. BOB works well. Take a book.

You stand to gain substantial fare savings and direct access to a startling number of destinations.
Scots_Al and subject2load like this.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ IAN-UK : I was very surprised to read the analogy you referenced - especially coming from a such an experienced, and measured, traveller as bisonrav. Would agree that the only rational explanation for that particular post must be an outdated perspective.

Recently used FR for a STN-OSL return (well .... I did pop over to Australia in between, so the Ryanair flights actually comprised just 2 within what was a 13-sector trip).

I do like FR’s “Priority + 2 Cabin Bags” deal. Being really keen to avoid carousel waits, it enabled me to be just as confident of keeping my stuff with me as I was with the various subsequent J class sectors.

All CC were extremely polite and personable ; a BoB coffee was delivered promptly / fuss-free (and, for coins of the realm, so no card-related shenanigans ....) ; and the seat was fine for such a short hop. I had in fact paid (subsequently) another, separate, fee to grab front row with extra leg-room, and am not 100% sure whether it would have been more cost-effective to go for the ‘Flexi Plus’ bundle in the first place (memo to self to check thoroughly next time)

There were slight delays in arrival time on both sectors, but nothing that caused me any issues. On the return sector, there was a very messy boarding process at OSL, which I really did not enjoy. But if anyone should think that messy boarding is somehow the preserve of FR, then may I suggest a quick review of the current “Group Boarding 2018” thread.

All in all, there was absolutely nothing about this FR experience (or indeed any of my other flights with them spanning the last 2/3 years) which would push me to selecting BA over them - subject of course to other key considerations including pricing & timings. Even STN was functioning well in terms of security etc ....... although that can certainly be a different story in peak summer, as it can anywhere (even F wing at T5)

The reality, IMHO, is that FR have been getting their act together, amidst a changed culture engendered by their weirdly enigmatic, yet uniquely talented, head honcho O’Leary ; and all at the very time that Sr. Alejandro Cruz de Llano and his cohorts seem to find great difficulty in doing the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.