Wiki Posts
Search

Advice needed - Canx of BA279 and EU261

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer, BA Executive Club
Advice needed - Canx of BA279 and EU261

My wife and I were booked on BA279 LHR-SJC on 2nd June in First (redemption booking). We got an email this morning advising us that the flight was cancelled (presumably due to the issues with the 787 engines).
The options we have been offered are:
1) Fly 2nd June (same day) connecting at LAX and arriving at 11pm in SFO - 5 hrs 20 mins after our original flight time plus aggravation of transferring at LAX and 90 mins on AA's J on an Embraer 175.
2) Fly 1st June (Friday) direct LHR-SFO but then incurring additional night's hotel accommodation and incidentals.
3) Refund (not suitable as holiday hotels etc and trips all booked)

Although 2) would mean an extra day of annual leave etc it would be preferable as direct, less risk of bags going missing etcetc.

I asked BA Customer Relations if BA would pay the hotel etc for the additional night and got this reply:

If you were looking to travel direct on the London Heathrow to San Francisco service in First on 01-June-2018, as opposed to travelling on your initial date 02-June-18, British Airways would not cover any further hotel costs or expenses. Under the EU Legislation, with British Airways advising the cancellation outside of 14 days before your departure date, we are not liable for any further expenses.

I get that I am not flying the same route i.e. LHR-SJC but given there is no direct flight available in First on 2nd June to San Fran, it seems a bit harsh to not offer any time of compensation/ offer towards accommodation.

Would be good to get this groups view if there is any other recourse or we just have to suck it up.

thanks, Jon
Old May 11, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
As they have given more than 14 days notice they don't have to do anything more than offer rebooking, rerouteing or a refund which they have done.

They are not liable for consequential losses like a hotel. Depending in the cost your travel insurance may cover that.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
As they have given more than 14 days notice they don't have to do anything more than offer rebooking, rerouteing or a refund which they have done.

They are not liable for consequential losses like a hotel. Depending in the cost your travel insurance may cover that.
Even if arriving significantly later (>5 hours) than booked trip?
Old May 11, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
They should be able to route you on the BA193 to Dallas and then onwards to the BA6779 DFW to SJC at least you will get in a more reasonable hour. BA is less than exemplary when it comes to cancellations due to IRROPS so I feel your pain
Old May 11, 2018, 10:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The specific ability to Right to Care for hotels in the event of cancellation applies to travel after the original date, not before (and it isn't constrained by a 2 week rule as such). Article 5.1.b. So BA are correct in the outcome if not the detail, plus they have given you a same day option. From what I can make out this gives you a bit of a win in the sense of an extra day's holiday, so personally I would go ahead with the second option and pay the extra hotel cost. There is no compensation due here either due to the two week rule, however you can charge any additional travel costs between SFO and SJC, or to another location if BA agree.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks All.

Obviously the aim is to maximise the First experience and space hence the relunctance to transfer at DFW or other airports where you then subsequently spend 4 hours in Club Europe America
Old May 11, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Since transfers appear to be a must, did you ask see if they can do SEA connecting to Alaska? Not that it's much longer than DFW, but at least it's a much shorter connecting flight and the Saturday departure is an early morning one, so you'll get into SF at a very reasonable mid-afternoon time, early dinner and bed it is
Old May 12, 2018, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Have got 2 seats held for the following routes LHR-LAX-SFO on 2nd June. Unfortunately wife cannot get the Friday 1st June off work due to various committments.

Before I get the ticket confirmed (the hold expires at 12 noon today), what is transferring at LAX like? Would be arriving on BA269 into TBIT and then taking the BA5379/AA6015 and based on google looks like departs from T5.

Couple of q's before I pull the trigger:
1) Do we go through immigration at LAX rather than SFO? If so, how long does this take?
2) Do we need to collect our hold bags from LAX or will they be checked through to SFO?
3) What is the transfer like between TBIT and T5?
4) Depending on answer to 3), what lounges do we have access to at LAX, given that we are arriving in First but technically flying out in J? (the BA5379 ticket is marked as J, not sure if that is the US equivalent to F on domestic flights?)

Many thanks in advance!
Hopefully someone can answer before midday! Fingers crossed!

thanks
J

Last edited by jrc999; May 12, 2018 at 1:35 am
Old May 12, 2018, 1:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jrc999
1) Do we go through immigration at LAX rather than SFO? If so, how long does this take?
2) Do we need to collect our hold bags from LAX or will they be checked through to SFO?
3) What is the transfer like between TBIT and T5?
4) Depending on answer to 3), what lounges do we have access to at LAX, given that we are arriving in First but technically flying out in J? (the BA5379 ticket is marked as J, not sure if that is the US equivalent to F on domestic flights?)
How long is the transfer time?

1) Yes you do clear immigration (and customs) in LAX, The question as posed is impossible to answer, but personally I think it's fairly good, I rarely see dreadful queues there (admittedly I don't have first hand experience of the queue, it's just what I see) Overall I would say the experience is better than SFO simply due to the clever timings of the BA flights at LAX compared to SFO.
2) Yes you collect your bags in LAX, and recheck them a short distance off on arrival in LAX, a very minor hassle.
3) It involves going through some passageways within the terminal, or alternatively going just outside the building, if you want to get some day light. It's 400 metres. These terminals are linked outside by a pavement, inside via connecting corridors and doors (not always easy to spot) and airside via a passageway network.
4) You have the AA Flagship lounge in T4, which is fairly good, or you could re-enter TBIT, stay airside throughout (via the passageways) and the Qantas lounge in TBIT is probably the best option as a lounge, arguably the best lounge in the Americas. However I personally would advise entering via T4, going to the AA Flagship and then the passageways, if you are new to LAX and to keep things simple, but there are other ways to do it.
jrc999 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks CWS, really appreciate the quick and thorough response!

Just to clarify on this

However I personally would advise entering via T4, going to the AA Flagship and then the passageways, if you are new to LAX and to keep things simple, but there are other ways to do it.

I think you are saying use AA flagship lounge in T4 and then use passageway to T5 for the flight - is this right?

Also are we eligible to have access to the AA Flagship First Dining on our tickets?

thanks, J

Last edited by jrc999; May 12, 2018 at 2:02 am
Old May 12, 2018, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis

Just to clarify on this

However I personally would advise entering via T4, going to the AA Flagship and then the passageways, if you are new to LAX and to keep things simple, but there are other ways to do it.

I think you are saying use AA flagship lounge in T4 and then use passageway to T5 is that right for the flight - is this right?

Also are we eligible to have access to the AA Flagship First Dining on our tickets?

thanks, J
Hi,

Yes you will have access to the AA T4 flagship lounge.

Not sure on Flagship first dining.

Regards

TBS
Old May 12, 2018, 2:27 am

I think you are saying use AA flagship lounge in T4 and then use passageway to T5 for the flight - is this right?
Yes, to keep it straightforward, go out at TBIT as if leaving the building. Then when at the road side to TBIT, go anti clockwise following the traffic flow to T4, which is the next building and a short walk away (it won't actually look like a separate building), enter T4, go up to Flagship check-in, through security and then to Flagship lounge. T4 is quite a small terminal, and the Club is in the centre of the airside spine. You should have First Dining access if you show the First boarding passes from LHR, but you certainly have Flagship access.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

Just to clarify on this

thanks, J
I think your flight will depart from the Eagle’s Nest so turn right leaving the Flagship Lounge and take the bus to gate 52. The bus leaves from the lower level, take the stairs next to gate 42B.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, to keep it straightforward, go out at TBIT as if leaving the building. Then when at the road side to TBIT, go anti clockwise following the traffic flow to T4, which is the next building and a short walk away (it won't actually look like a separate building), enter T4, go up to Flagship check-in, through security and then to Flagship lounge. T4 is quite a small terminal, and the Club is in the centre of the airside spine. You should have First Dining access if you show the First boarding passes from LHR, but you certainly have Flagship access.
No First Dining access. Access is for those departing in First Class on an AA 3-Class international or Flagship Transcon service.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:39 am

You can find further info on the TBIT / T4 lounge and terminal setup in the threads below, as well as the other threads linked to within:

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int’l. oneworld Lounges

LAX / Los Angeles Int'l. Terminal 4 Flagship Lounge (master thread)

The length of your connection time is of course a relevant factor here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.