Search

WTP catering options from Club

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
WTP catering options from Club

Another first world problem!

I'm in WTP 1 June BA67 LHR-PHL. I'm vegetarian and, behold, when I check what my pre-flight ordering options are it's either chicken or beef, presumably the two "most desired" items off the club menu . Given that I don't magically get an OpUp, unlikely I think based on the ExpertFlyer loads F6 A5 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W8 E0 T0 Y9 B9H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9 what are peeps' experiences of asking crew to see if they can plate up the pasta dish from Club which will no doubt be the vegetarian offering in that cabin? Is that physically possibly, eg crew does assemble the tray on the plane? Of course I could special order a special meal but it is my understanding that then reduces the OpUp chances to zero and yes, I'd like to keep that option open if I could. Thanks!
Old May 10, 2018, 11:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
No experience, but if you picked up a Boots meal deal or equivalent one airside, at least yiu would have something you could eat if there was no readable available or suitable veggie option for you. That includes something that you would actually want to eat.

Do come back and let us know how you get on.
NoTiersForMe likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Order a VLML and you will get the CW vegetarian hot meal.
NoTiersForMe likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The crew will not give you a CW meal when you travel WT+, nor should they. If you want a vegetarian meal, do what CIHY says and order a VLML (or the Asian Vegetarian meal which is usually very nice).
Old May 10, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
order the special meal.

That, to me, is more important than the remotest possibility of getting an op-up
NoTiersForMe likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Mrs endo got an op-up WT+ - CW having ordered a Vegan Meal so it certainly doesn't disclude you.
NoTiersForMe likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
This far out, those numbers are looking good for your chances of an op-up to be honest. Obviously, a lot can change but it's already only selling W only and that's despite the fact that the CW cabin is still selling I. You've got over two weeks for last-minute business trips to come along, but plenty of people have a WTP-only travel policy and W8 usually allows for plenty of overspill into a J cabin.... Admittedly there's not yet much pressure from economy to roll everyone forward but, given that status or paying passengers mean that there are currently only two aisle seats plus the bassinets (and the middle seats!) available, I'd be confident that some people at least will be upgraded.

While the flight itself is lightly loaded, WTP is shaping up to be very full indeed.
NoTiersForMe likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by endoman
Mrs endo got an op-up WT+ - CW having ordered a Vegan Meal so it certainly doesn't disclude you.
No, but from what I've been told by those who work in FMU is that in working out who gets an upgrade, the system will upgrade those without special meals unless and until they run out of options. So if an OpUp is more important than catering (or you have your own supplies anyway) then I personally wouldn't put a special meal down. That isn't the same as pre-selecting a regular meal for departures from London via MMB, that has no impact. As far as this particular flight is concerned, it's way too soon to be sure how it is looking, it would be better to look at the numbers and seat plan at say 36 hours to departure and making a decision then.
endoman and NoTiersForMe like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by orbitmic
The crew will not give you a CW meal when you travel WT+, nor should they. If you want a vegetarian meal, do what CIHY says and order a VLML (or the Asian Vegetarian meal which is usually very nice).
I thought WTP gets a CW main...are you saying the OP will not get the meal or the main?! I’m guessing the former.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
There's a nuance here.I wasn't suggesting asking for a CW meal. I only raid the Club Kitchen [joke]. It was simply my understanding that the main dish on the WTP tray comes from CW. So if there is crew physically pulling chicken or beef for my WTP colleagues, then could I ask them to pull the veg for me. BUT maybe the whole thing is assembled in a landside kitchen. CIHY has rightly suggested that a special meal order would effectively get me that same dish but, as was my initial concern, that might jeopardise the OpUp. Thanks for the Asian Veg suggestion too.

Last edited by NoTiersForMe; May 10, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Old May 10, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They do but WT plus have their own allocation of meals.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
While the flight itself is lightly loaded, WTP is shaping up to be very full indeed.
As is often the way, I have found! Thanks, yes, agreed it's still a long way out!
Old May 10, 2018, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
They do but WT plus have their own allocation of meals.
And that's the crux of my question. What would you as a crew member think of me asking for another item from the CW offering, effectively adding one more chicken or beef to CW passengers' availability who had not preordered and taking one pasta away. Sorry, it's alway the logistics of how things work that fascinate me. Regardless plating up [traying?] happens on board. Thanks.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be honest we never have enough veggie food and what is leftover in CW is crew food and we have many vegetarian crew, there maybe a WT one spare however.
NoTiersForMe likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:09 pm

As CIHY mentioned, tha pasta is rarely leftover. If you get lucky the crew might have one going spare but the chances are they won’t. Even if they do there’s no guarantees this can be released to WT+ as leftover Club meals make up the Cabin Crew’s meal allocation for the flight. As mentioned, the easiest way is to order a VL or VG meal which will be the same as that given for a Club passenger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.