Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First time in LGW First lounge - Disappointed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs

So yesterday was my first time "turning left" at the LGW lounges and to say I was disappointed would be an understatement.
I don't know what I was expecting, but having been in the "club" lounge many times I guess I was just expecting it to be a decent step-up. But honestly, truth be told. I failed to see any real difference at all. Same or similar furniture, same bar area, same food.
The only tangible difference was the table service food. Which I can certainly take or leave, id rather just snack in the lounge anyway. If I want a meal meal then I would probably go to wagamamas. I digress.
It really just felt like a smaller version of the club lounge.
Nothing to complain about per say, just an observation that I had in my head expected something "special" above and beyond the club lounge. Isn't that the point of it? To reward their very best customers. I guess it has the potential to be quieter so some, if not many will prefer that. But I'm not fussed. Not trying to sleep in the lounge anyway.
I happen to think the club lounge at Gatwick is actually really nice, so still plenty happy with that and BA's offering there. Just thought the First lounge would be a "wow" moment.
hugolover likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:18 am

I'm going left at gatwick for the first time tomorrow.

I dont really expect it to be much different tbh but how easy is the food ordering?
Old May 10, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Interesting. I did turn right for the first time a couple of weeks ago (First lounge closing later in the evening) and thought that the Club section is not as bad as I thought it would be...
tynmar and Pelu like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:22 am

Oh - when does the first lounge close? I'll probably be there about 7pm which I assume isnt late enough to be a problem?
Old May 10, 2018, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michael Roberts
I'm going left at gatwick for the first time tomorrow.

I dont really expect it to be much different tbh but how easy is the food ordering?

I didn't bother. I looked like exactly the same food that was in the hotpots anyway. I can well serve my own food to myself using a ladle.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michael Roberts
Oh - when does the first lounge close? I'll probably be there about 7pm which I assume isnt late enough to be a problem?
8pm
Old May 10, 2018, 3:25 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Apart from the better food offering over the old north Flounge I have to admit it is underwhelming
Old May 10, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
I think for a lot it's more about turning left than anything else...
flyer200 and Pack like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think perhaps problem is that the Club lounge in LGW is to a very high standard with plenty of space, attractively laid out, that the First lounge isn't that much of an improvement, particularly when the OP has discounted out the permanent hot food options (and yes the food is different to Club) and the order menu. There is also better alcohol in First lounge, again only of interest to some potentially. However it is twice as big as the previous First lounge and now open much longer hours than North which used to close at 4pm in its final dire status. In the afternoon it can be quite restful if there are a lot of children in Club, and the view in First is great, in my view. Still, people have the choice, and as noted on the main Gatwick thread (in the Dashboard), if you have eaten in First then there may be case to find a nice spot in Club for a drink or two.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think perhaps problem is that the Club lounge in LGW is to a very high standard with plenty of space, attractively laid out, that the First lounge isn't that much of an improvement, particularly when the OP has discounted out the permanent hot food options (and yes the food is different to Club) and the order menu. There is also better alcohol in First lounge, again only of interest to some potentially. However it is twice as big as the previous First lounge and now open much longer hours than North which used to close at 4pm in its final dire status. In the afternoon it can be quite restful if there are a lot of children in Club, and the view in First is great, in my view. Still, people have the choice, and as noted on the main Gatwick thread (in the Dashboard), if you have eaten in First then there may be case to find a nice spot in Club for a drink or two.
Yeah I think you have hit the nail on the head. The club lounge at Gatwick is a very good solid "business class" lounge. One of the best in the western world. To that effect, where do they take the First lounge other than small improvements to food and drink.
I guess also Gatwick doesn't see many actual "first class" PAX. (Holidays only). So really it is aimed at their GCH's.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
I find the best thing about Galleries First is the full breakfast option, over the usual bacon sarnie.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Yeah I think you have hit the nail on the head. The club lounge at Gatwick is a very good solid "business class" lounge. One of the best in the western world. To that effect, where do they take the First lounge other than small improvements to food and drink.
I guess also Gatwick doesn't see many actual "first class" PAX. (Holidays only). So really it is aimed at their GCH's.
Despite the intial, obvious, investment. You could, with further investment and an external project team, devise a much higher standard of service/experience. So have a restaurant/hotel lobby experience.

I haven’t ever been to CCR but something similar (I guess) but with a far better attentive and purposeful team (trained restaurant waiters) rather than catering teams. Albeit time constraints could mean passengers may not be able to accomdate this level of experience. If it was known and advertised it may entice passengers to arrive early and have a sit down meal, restaurant style or have drinks/cocktails brought to them along with some small nibbles all elegantly laid. When it comes to F class or 4/5 star it is all in the details and incredible service.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
I agree with CWS. The first time I used the LGW club lounge, it was a step up from the other club lounges in terms of food selection, space and free-pour champagne. After that, the F lounge felt like a slight improvement on the club lounge.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
I didn't bother. I looked like exactly the same food that was in the hotpots anyway. I can well serve my own food to myself using a ladle.
ao you didn’t look at the table menu?

the burger for example is made to order.

There are also other things as well that aren’t available in the club lounge section.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by YacozA
I find the best thing about Galleries First is the full breakfast option, over the usual bacon sarnie.
To eat well in England you should have breakfast three times a day.
W. Somerset Maugham

Apart from the black pudding

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.