Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How close to departure can I cancel?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Question How close to departure can I cancel?

Hi all,

I booked a £80 European return (cheapest booking class) that I won't be needing. I will get about £40 back when I cancel.

However, I've seen quite a few cancellations on that route recently, so I'm going to wait as long as I possibly can to maybe get a free refund or even bag the €250.

How close to departure can I cancel still? Is there any benefit in cancelling early?
Old May 9, 2018, 2:00 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by just_starting
How close to departure can I cancel still? Is there any benefit in cancelling early?
Theoretically it is until they close the flight, which could be minutes before departure. However I wouldn't leave it that long, an hour before departure is probably more realistic. The benefit of doing it earlier probably revolves around random factors like phones / computers not working at importune moments. If the weather is behaving and there aren't ATC strikes on, it is quite rare for a flight to be cancelled on the day. So I'd do it several hours beforehand after checking (e.g.) Flyertalk to see if something is up. The only other precise benefit I can see in cancelling "now" rather than "later" is if there has been a big currency movement and some of the taxes are assessed in that currency. But it could of course be the other way around.

Don't forget to check if you can pay the change fee and make use of the flight at another time.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much! The change fee is £60, so I don't think there's any scenario where that would be better than just writing off the £40 and booking a new flight?
Old May 9, 2018, 3:02 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I assume that you have also factored in the cancellation fee (online/phone)?
Old May 9, 2018, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gms
I assume that you have also factored in the cancellation fee (online/phone)?
Yea, BA would refund just over £40 on a £83 booking. Which is the equivalent to a "£42 change fee" if I just book a new flight myself I guess?
Old May 9, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Yea, BA would refund just over £40 on a £83 booking. Which is the equivalent to a "£42 change fee" if I just book a new flight myself I guess?
I think gms means allowing for these fees: https://www.britishairways.com/travel/service-fees/public/en_gb
Old May 10, 2018, 12:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks very much! The change fee is £60, so I don't think there's any scenario where that would be better than just writing off the £40 and booking a new flight?
Well yes, obviously, since if you were about to pay £300 for that new flight, it may be better to pay £60 to get that booking instead of paying £300. If you could get the flight for £15 then that would certainly be different. So it depends on the fares, the fare of the unused flight and the precise details.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well yes, obviously, since if you were about to pay £300 for that new flight, it may be better to pay £60 to get that booking instead of paying £300. If you could get the flight for £15 then that would certainly be different. So it depends on the fares, the fare of the unused flight and the precise details.
I'm not sure I follow there - wouldn't the fare difference apply regardless?

if a change fee is £60 and the amount for a cancellation is ~£40 then if a new ticket is £300:

- Cancel - take the £40 refund and find an additional £260
- Change - pay the £60, credit the original £80, and pay £220 = £280 total

On BA's very cheapest fares, where the fare component is a very small part of the price, there is in some senses more flexibility than there is on much more expensive ones.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
Yes it would, and for the return leg it would probably be on historical terms. Now I was being generalised here, I didn't notice that (if I've now understood correctly) that the entire booking was £80, but often a single trip on a non historical basis - current fares in other words - could be dear, whereas on a historical basis the fare difference could be zero.
Cymro likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes it would, and for the return leg it would probably be on historical terms. Now I was being generalised here, I didn't notice that (if I've now understood correctly) that the entire booking was £80, but often a single trip on a non historical basis - current fares in other words - could be dear, whereas on a historical basis the fare difference could be zero.
To make sure I'm following what you mean here...

- Non-historical: Repriced at current fare for bucket, such as when changing an itinerary before initial departure;
- Historical: Priced as per original purchase date, so no extra fare if moving from H on original booking to H on new in a part-flown itinerary. Would you also get original pricing of new bucket (hence potentially lower fare difference) if moving from (say) H to B?
Old May 10, 2018, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro

if a change fee is £60 and the amount for a cancellation is ~£40 then if a new ticket is £300:

- Cancel - take the £40 refund and find an additional £260
- Change - pay the £60, credit the original £80, and pay £220 = £280 total

On BA's very cheapest fares, where the fare component is a very small part of the price, there is in some senses more flexibility than there is on much more expensive ones.
Yes, that's my scenario precisely - I'd be paying the difference in fares either way.

My entire return was £80, and I'll be changing both legs... So cancelling and booking again is cheaper than changing!
Old May 10, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
To make sure I'm following what you mean here...

- Non-historical: Repriced at current fare for bucket, such as when changing an itinerary before initial departure;
- Historical: Priced as per original purchase date, so no extra fare if moving from H on original booking to H on new in a part-flown itinerary. Would you also get original pricing of new bucket (hence potentially lower fare difference) if moving from (say) H to B?
Yes, this seems in line with my understanding, however of course the change fee would always apply - unless the flight was changed in timing after it was ticketed, when a free change can be made within certain parameters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.