Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding: BA incorrect gate claim

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I wouldn't say it's that black and white.
I wouldn't say "they will likely lose" is particularly black or white - it is already a fairly grey-scaled phrasing!

Last edited by orbitmic; May 11, 2018 at 4:16 am
Old May 11, 2018, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I wouldn't say "they will likely lose" is particularly black or white - it is already a fairly grey-scaled phrasing!
I suppose I was reading it as 'on the balance of probabilities' which is what, ultimately, translates into a win or a loss.

Besides, try telling some people that a 52/48 result isn't particularly black or white...
Old May 11, 2018, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Wasn't the OP also late for bag drop? IIRC 9:16 at the check-in counter for a 9:50 flight to BOM is 26 minutes after check-in (and bag drop) cut off. Even if we ignore the warning on BA re: the conformance cut off, wouldn't the late arrival have prevented bag drop?
BA argued nothing about bag drop. Their main contention was not crossing security (in passing) but more importantly not being at the gate. The only deadlines that are stated in the Conditions of Carriage are the check-in deadline and the boarding gate deadline. Elsewhere on the website there is a deadline for "self service bag drop" but not for normal "bag drop". Passengers requiring passport / visa check which I was are required to use normal bag drop. The actual boarding only commenced on 1016 and ended at or just before 1100. This is based on the status on the apps and the display at the airport. So, in the absence of guidelines it is arguable that the bag drop at 0916 would have been OK for a flight departing at 1119.

Also, for avoidance of doubt, I do acknowledge that I have a poor case - and am not expecting any further comments to change that. So, if you are minded to write that I still have a poor case - I already get that. I am providing this information mainly for the benefit of future passengers who will come in my position and search out this thread.

Last edited by amit175; May 11, 2018 at 6:17 am Reason: Incomplete
Old May 11, 2018, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by amit175
Also, for avoidance of doubt, I do acknowledge that I have a poor case
I would say that if you do intend to pursue your case, it's not a good idea to acknowledge publicly that you have a poor case!
Old May 11, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by amit175
BA argued nothing about bag drop. Their main contention was not crossing security (in passing) but more importantly not being at the gate. The only deadlines that are stated in the Conditions of Carriage are the check-in deadline and the boarding gate deadline. Elsewhere on the website there is a deadline for "self service bag drop" but not for normal "bag drop". Passengers requiring passport / visa check which I was are required to use normal bag drop. The actual boarding only commenced on 1016 and ended at or just before 1100. This is based on the status on the apps and the display at the airport. So, in the absence of guidelines it is arguable that the bag drop at 0916 would have been OK for a flight departing at 1119.

Also, for avoidance of doubt, I do acknowledge that I have a poor case - and am not expecting any further comments to change that. So, if you are minded to write that I still have a poor case - I already get that. I am providing this information mainly for the benefit of future passengers who will come in my position and search out this thread.
But the 1119 departure time was only know after the fact. If the scheduled departure time (i.e. was on your booking confirmation) was indeed 1119 then arriving at 9.30 would have been perfectly fine but that wasn't your booking.. For a 0950 departure you needed to have been there by 0850 (I go by the 1 hour being checked in and bags dropped) and most people especially with children would have planned to arrive well before then. All it takes is one of the kids to need the toilet to divert you from check-in and your spare time has gone!

Most reasonable people- and that is what a judge would base their decision on - would not delay their arrival at the airport for what initially appeared to be a 45 minute delay - especially when travelling with children.

I would say, after reading all your posts - and it would have helped if you had provided ALL the information in your very first post rather than drip feeding - a judge at MCOL is not going to be pleased if you drip feed during disclosure or the hearing (and they are generally disposed to finding for claimants where there is reasonable doubt)- that you have no case not a poor case.
WorldLux likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
I wouldn't bother pursuing this claim any further, frankly. BA's own website is crystal-clear that unless you've been told specifically otherwise, you need to arrive for the originally scheduled departure time because they'll hope to make up the delay. It doesn't add "unless there's been a lot of disruption in the days before your travel date." The only advice I could find in a quick search on Heathrow's own site is to arrive three hours ahead of departure for long-haul flights. And since OP already has started down the legal route, the odds of getting any sort of customer-service gesture from BA are right around nil.

I don't mean this to sound harsh for OP, who's already on the receiving end of a very expensive lesson, but the main takeaway from this thread should be "leave well enough alone." The FT ethos is to be proactive and often that's a good strategy to get out ahead of rebooking in irrops. But in this instance, OP was already awake and went to the trouble of rebooking a pre-booked car to save what sounds like around 25 minutes at the airport. This case is a useful reminder that sometimes being too proactive can create new and expensive problems, instead of solving them.
Just to clarify, I'm not a lawyer and neither were my comments specifically created with the idea of fighting in a legal venue. Rather, they were the approach I would have addressed at the time or in the immediate aftermath from a Customer Relations point of view.

That said, clarity of BA's website today or yesterday is not what we're talking about... we're talking about BA's website on 12th and 13th December as the OP was preparing to go to the airport. I would maintain that it was less crystal clear, since there was an explicit warning up owing to the weather disruptions, the knock-on effects, and indeed apparently the India flights. I can't remember precisely how it read, but there was a connection between whether to go to the airport and checking flight status (although I was reading it on the 11th as I prepared for my own flight, and on the 12th as well perhaps as the 13th as I waited for BA to direct my missing baggage).
The clearest reading of whatever they had published on those dates in December would still probably be that one should only change one's plans if the flight is shown to be canceled, but I can't be so sure there wasn't some ambiguity then that you would have no way of seeing now.

What strikes me still (and again this is Customer Relation, not legal) is that BA seemingly showed literally zero flexibility to the OP at the time of check-in and immediately following. The fact is the gate hadn't even opened yet (and would not open for another hour) and BA had frankly made a pretty poor show in its overall performance the prior three days. I would have thought on most days that would be enough for the customer facing agent to propose some sort of change for a fee, standby for next possible flight, etc. Not that they cancel the entire trip including the return with no further consideration. Once that was done, however, it seems what's done is done.

I would agree that this is likely the point for the OP to reduce expectations and perhaps rethink taking it as far as court lest this become an even more expensive lesson.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:44 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I would say, after reading all your posts - and it would have helped if you had provided ALL the information in your very first post rather than drip feeding - a judge at MCOL is not going to be pleased if you drip feed during disclosure or the hearing (and they are generally disposed to finding for claimants where there is reasonable doubt)- that you have no case not a poor case.
Without wishing to pile into the poor OP, who is probably feeling more than a little battered by now, I would urge caution in proceeding any further - because not only is this a case where judgement will almost certainly be awarded to BA, but we seem to be in a situation where this is approaching vexatious.

There is a certain amount of protection for the individual within the MCOL process, but it is not total - a less sympathetic judge could view this as frivolous and order costs to be paid to BA if the OP continues to try to take this through the whole court process.

The OP is already a lot of money down. BA's legal expenses, plus the loss of court fee, would make the whole experience extremely painful. OP - for your own sake, please, please think very carefully about this. This is not a time for false bravado or gung-ho decisions.
gms likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Without wishing to pile into the poor OP, who is probably feeling more than a little battered by now, I would urge caution in proceeding any further - because not only is this a case where judgement will almost certainly be awarded to BA, but we seem to be in a situation where this is approaching vexatious.
Yeah, this thread has more than run its course..it cleared the stadium, and started cross country.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
@NWIFlyer - yes very well put.

I do get that the OP is upset and annoyed and wants some sort of resolution i.e. his money back (though surely he would be due a refund of APD and airport fees as he and his family didn't fly) but I honestly do think he has no realistic proposition of winning but we know that often people do pursue these things and then end up with a legal bill for no real reason than bloodymindness.

He also says he is pursuing AMEX (who I assume he used to pay for the tickets) to the Financial Ombudsmen. I don't think that will end well for him either.

Programs: BA, JAL
I haven't read all the posts because many of them go off on a tangent.
It seems to me that OP was unfortunate enough because he had gone to the check-in gate who then advised him he was too late.
If he hadn't gone there and just proceeded through security he would have been ok to get to the gate?
Old May 11, 2018, 10:06 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
It seems to me that OP was unfortunate enough because he had gone to the check-in gate who then advised him he was too late.
If he hadn't gone there and just proceeded through security he would have been ok to get to the gate?
Most likely not. He missed both the bag check deadline and the 35 minute conformance deadline - scheduled departure was 0950, he arrived at bag check at 0916.

Could he potentially have got to security at 0915 if he walked for more than a minute to get to the check-in desk from North Security assuming he arrived by bus, tube or train? That's something of a long shot, I'd have thought, and the reality is that it didn't happen anyway - so it's a bit of a moot point.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Most likely not. He missed both the bag check deadline and the 35 minute conformance deadline - scheduled departure was 0950, he arrived at bag check at 0916.

Could he potentially have got to security at 0915 if he walked for more than a minute to get to the check-in desk from North Security assuming he arrived by bus, tube or train? That's something of a long shot, I'd have thought, and the reality is that it didn't happen anyway - so it's a bit of a moot point.
I guess there is no way of knowing for sure as he didn't actually get that far.
Rules are rules, but sometimes not effectively enforced, especially in times of disruption. If he had shown the person at security the new time, would they have let him proceed?
Significant queues at bag drop off could have added to the time. BA should be mindful that these warnings and prompts can be potentially misleading to travelling passengers. It needs to better emphasize the need to physically be at the airport regardless of the delay (unless stated otherwise). Unless it does this, I don't see that it's unreasonable for passengers to think 'why should I rush, boarding isn't due for another 2 hours?'..; more so if you've already checked in.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
I haven't read all the posts because many of them go off on a tangent.
How would that work if you have bags to drop?
Old May 11, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by simons1
How would that work if you have bags to drop?
I've wondered in the past whether security has a role in policing hand luggage size / quantity, rather than just content. If beating conformance is the key requirement then ditching any large liquids, etc from hold sized bags at security and being told to gate check them could be a good strategy. There's even a chance they'd get on board...

Wouldn't have helped OP of course, they mistakenly thought they were in good time upon arrival at airport.
Old May 11, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by BOH
But that might also be a very dangerous tactic for the once-a-day flight that with a late inbound, particularly if you have bags to check. Because the BA check-in desk will be staffed by a contract handling company and will usually still operate to the scheduled departure time and close on time. This is because the check-in staff will be contracted to other airlines throughout the day so they will close at the scheduled cut-off time.

I fly BA to GOA regularly and this is only a once-a-day service. 4 people missed their GOA-LGW flight last year by doing just what you said you may do; they saw the inbound was 3-4 hours late and thought they would have an extra few hours sightseeing. They turned up later (with large bags to check after being on a cruise for 2 weeks) and found no BA check-in desks open and nowhere / no one to accept their bags as the desks still had closed on-time to the original flight schedule. An expensive lesson for them too, just like the OP
Agree. But this is where you might use experience to play it by ear. If check in normally opens three hours before scheduled departure, and closes 45 minutes before scheduled departure... if you know your inbound is 4 hours late (flightaware) you might aim to get to the airport at the checkin cut off... just 45 minutes before the scheduled departure. This can save you at least 2 hours of hanging around the airport.
BOH and MSPeconomist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.