Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Back to back at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Fontana
I was on a BA flight yesterday from AMS. It departed from D26 and it's quite a bit of a walk between the BA Lounge and the gate.

if you have any spare time (which you probably won't), it's worth checking out the "man clock" in the D central area. It's where a man, rubs out & paints the hands on the clock. Quite fascinating.
They've got that clock in the Rijksmuseum as well - a downstairs corridor leading into the main hall. It's Art!
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Fontana
I was on a BA flight yesterday from AMS. It departed from D26 and it's quite a bit of a walk between the BA Lounge and the gate.

if you have any spare time (which you probably won't), it's worth checking out the "man clock" in the D central area. It's where a man, rubs out & paints the hands on the clock. Quite fascinating.
I tried to upload a video, but failed.

Yes, it is fascinating and I can watch it for ages - even though I know what is going to happen next!
Fontana likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I can remember only one BA flight to AMS from any airport which did not use a gate in the D20-D31 range (and it was D9 a couple of years ago). So expect that any back to back at AMS will not involve a lounge.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by flatlander
I can remember only one BA flight to AMS from any airport which did not use a gate in the D20-D31 range (and it was D9 a couple of years ago). So expect that any back to back at AMS will not involve a lounge.
The lowest gate I've had is D20 and that is still a long walk to immigration let alone to / from the lounge. If doing a true B2B there is time to do little more than go for a quick pee let alone visit the lounge or artistic clocks!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Sprint to the lounge, fill your pockets with sausage sticks and stroopwaffels, sprint back and you'll be in with Group 1. Clock watching can be fitted in if you don't mind getting on last.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Sprint to the lounge, fill your pockets with sausage sticks and stroopwaffels, sprint back and you'll be in with Group 1. Clock watching can be fitted in if you don't mind getting on last.
There was hardly any food in the lounge yesterday. Just cheese & packet of crisps.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:24 am

Decision finally made... I nabbed a CE reward flight for the night before and will be booking airport hotel. Relaxing breakfast and walk around town with the family, then back to the airport late afternoon with time for the lounge before AMS-LHR-CPT.

Thank's for all the help with the planning.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Back when the BA 429 was a 767 I often departed from gates as low as D2, alas that is now gone as well.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GGL
I've done a few B2Bs this year in Amsterdam, most recently on Monday evening, ahead of a JNB flight on Tuesday. We arrived at the gate in Amsterdam 25 minutes early so had plenty of time to wander to the lounge, relax for 30 minutes and then head back to board the return. Similarly, though, I've had some tight turnarounds. I guess you just have to see how things go on the day.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Muttley
Decision finally made... I nabbed a CE reward flight for the night before and will be booking airport hotel. Relaxing breakfast and walk around town with the family, then back to the airport late afternoon with time for the lounge before AMS-LHR-CPT.

Thank's for all the help with the planning.
For the overnight you might find the Mercure or the ID Apartments by Sloterdijk Station convenient (and good value) - it's two stops on the train from Schiphol, less than 500 metres from the station from behind which you can get the 19 tram into the city, with a convenient if slightly confusing interchange with other tram lines at Leidseplein or on to Spiegelgracht, close to the Rijksmuseum.
ID apartments have convenient family rooms, e.g. two twins each with an en suite bathroom with the sitting / dining area between them.

Last edited by Travelling Inspector; Dec 13, 2018 at 10:24 am Reason: Additional information
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I have an 11 hour overnight between BA flights next week. Any reason that I can't use the transit hotel (Lounge 2 area near the entrance to the D gate concourse) and walk directly to it from the BA gate and then back the next morning?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SFO777
I have an 11 hour overnight between BA flights next week. Any reason that I can't use the transit hotel (Lounge 2 area near the entrance to the D gate concourse) and walk directly to it from the BA gate and then back the next morning?
Yes, that's the Yotelair, but for both that hotel and Mercure it's a simple walk to the hotel and back again. The Mercure has the larger bedrooms. However you'd be better off returning to London if it's not a nightstop and staying at the Sofitel, back to back is foolproof and hassle free at AMS.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, that's the Yotelair, but for both that hotel and Mercure it's a simple walk to the hotel and back again. The Mercure has the larger bedrooms. However you'd be better off returning to London if it's not a nightstop and staying at the Sofitel, back to back is foolproof and hassle free at AMS.
Thanks very much C-W-S. It is a nightstop as I'm on the last LHR-AMS arrival of the day and then AMS-LHR-JFK-LAX starting the next morning. Will check out the Mercure as Yotelair rooms seem lilliputian-like in size.
corporate-wage-slave and aidy like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The Citizen M is landside but only a short walk to the terminal. Have stayed there and have no hesitation in recommending it. There is another hotel very close to the terminal but it's name escapes me.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just returned from AMS having logged the requisite 4 annual BA flights. I decided on the Yotel which was perfectly fine for a short and inexpensive (€108), single overnight stay. The room is indeed small with either an upper or lower bunk-like bed. Hard to beat the location and convenience although both it and the BA Lounge were a long hike from D26/D27 from which both my flights operated. Some pics... YotelAir In Terminal Hotel AMS | SFO777

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.