Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flat tyre, missing B269 to LA

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Flat tyre, missing B269 to LA

Already contacted BA and explained the situation to them. Will miss conformance and BA seem sympathetic and said to sort at the airport. Any suggestions for a routing as we need to be in LA tonight?
Old May 4, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by kwisstan
Already contacted BA and explained the situation to them. Will miss conformance and BA seem sympathetic and said to sort at the airport. Any suggestions for a routing as we need to be in LA tonight?
What time are you likely to get to LHR?

Last chance of making LAX tonight (albeit 00:49) is the AA flight to JFK at 5pm and a tight connection to the transcontinental.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:09 am
Original Poster

ETA 15.40
​​​​​​Thank you very much, we'll see if we can get on that one
Old May 4, 2018, 8:12 am

Head for T3 not 5.

There is also a 16.40 to LAS on BA with a connection to LAX.

T3 has no conformance either.

Good luck!
Old May 4, 2018, 8:22 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Be prepared to pay some hefty charges for such a change (unless someone at BA is feeling very generous today!). You must have already been cutting it quite fine, never a good idea when driving to LHR on a Friday afternoon! Especially Friday of a bank holiday weekend!

ETA 15.40
Thank you very much, we'll see if we can get on that one
It's going to be tight to get your ticket changed / book a new one and check-in prior to the 1 hour check-in cut-off! I think you need to be sorting out as much as you can by phone now!
Old May 4, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Good luck the earlier BA281 to LAX was cancelled today (787;issues) not sure how far in advance this was done but would suggest a lot of extra bods trying to get to LAX today.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gms
Be prepared to pay some hefty charges for such a change (unless someone at BA is feeling very generous today!). You must have already been cutting it quite fine, never a good idea when driving to LHR on a Friday afternoon! Especially Friday of a bank holiday weekend!

It's going to be tight to get your ticket changed / book a new one and check-in prior to the 1 hour check-in cut-off! I think you need to be sorting out as much as you can by phone now!
We weren't cutting it fine originally as we should have been here at 1.30. the tyre was shredded so I had to get a replacement. My car doesn't have a spare but a run flat. Will see how generous they are
Old May 4, 2018, 8:47 am

Head for terminal three
kwisstan likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Please keep us posted on the outcome. There are mixed reports of how generous BA are when people invoke the 'flat tire' rule (which in your case is literally accurate!) and a data point would be useful for others.
kwisstan likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:17 am
Original Poster

I asked for anywhere in the USA, and they were very helpful they offered 150 change fee plus fare difference of 100. That was for Boston. Spoken to my client and they will meet me there tomorrow.

Old May 4, 2018, 9:19 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I asked for anywhere in the USA, and they were very helpful they offered 150 change fee plus fare difference of 100. That was for Boston. Spoken to my client and they will meet me there tomorrow.

^ Good result. Could have been a lot worse.
kwisstan and Andriyko like this.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:52 am

Wow, are they coming from LAX? Flying nearly as far as you!
Old May 4, 2018, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just for completeness, another option here is to fly to LAS and drive onwards to Los Angeles. It's a 4-1/2 hour drive and if Los Angeles was time-critical, it is doable.

Also, while sub-optimal, consider that WN has 10 daily frequencies on the route with tickets in the $100-110 range. BA can't book you onto WN and WN does not interline with anybody, so you are on your own, but with service running from 06:40 to 23:00, it can be a good option if you can get yourself to LAS.

Having an eye on WN and LCC's is a good idea in general. The downsides may not matter when you really have to be somewhere and can only get close.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by gms
^ Good result. Could have been a lot worse.
Yeas, it could have. When it happened with me I had to pay about USD 1,500 and take a downgrade on the outbound.
hugolover likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Andriyko

Yeas, it could have. When it happened with me I had to pay about USD 1,500 and take a downgrade on the outbound.
Ouch, that sounds like buying a walk-up ticket, which makes me wonder what the point of the 'flat tyre rule' is, then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.