Search

EDI-LHR-SFO/SEA-PDX questions

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
EDI-LHR-SFO/SEA-PDX questions

Hi everyone,

I am planning a work trip to SAN next month, unfortunately CW direct from LHR is quite expensive. I have looked at LAX and different departure points (DUB, OSL, AMS, etc), most are also expensive. I am based in EDI.

I have noticed some great CW fares to PDX (~£1400). Most of these connecting via SFO or SEA. However, I have a few questions that I was hoping the the BAEC FT might be able to help with.

1. When I search EDI-LHR-SFO/SEA-PDX all sectors are business class except the PDX flight which is Y. If I search the same route starting in London I can have all sectors in business class. Is there way to obtain business class for the PDX flight when starting from EDI?

2. Is 2hrs 35 min cutting it tight to clear immigration and connect to the SFO-PDX flight? I think it is, especially as this with be on the A380 flight.

3. Is it better to route via SEA? If so, what is the recommended connection time?

Thanks!

EdiFrank
Old May 2, 2018, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by EdiFrank
1. When I search EDI-LHR-SFO/SEA-PDX all sectors are business class except the PDX flight which is Y. If I search the same route starting in London I can have all sectors in business class. Is there way to obtain business class for the PDX flight when starting from EDI?
Without knowing exactly what you were searching for when you got those results, it's hard to debug. For example, were the SFO-PDX flights the same in both cases? Or might you have been put onto an economy-only flight when looking at search results for trips starting at EDI? It's impossible to guess accurately with the general information you've provided.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 8:42 am
Old May 2, 2018, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I'd probably choose SFO or even SJC if you can, the 777 to SEA isn't great for CW as I am sure you know.

You're only in the air for about 1.15 SFO-PDX so is it the TPs or space you're concerned about ?
Old May 2, 2018, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Without knowing exactly what you were searching for when you got those results, it's hard to debug. For example, were the SFO-PDX flights the same in both cases? Or might you have been put onto an economy-only flight when looking at search results for trips starting at EDI? It's impossible to guess accurately with the general information you've provided.

But I easily got this from ba.com, so this should be feasible (although presumably you're likely to be seated in AS' first class cabin on the short-hauls even though it's described by ba.com as "business"):-
Thanks @Globaliser. Dates are 1/6 - 8/6. I am using ITA Matrix for searches. It seems to give outbound SFO or SEA and return only via SEA. Even if I select SEA for outbound and inbound I still get economy for the last leg (see attached image)

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 1, 2019 at 6:49 am Reason: Image removed at original author's request
Old May 2, 2018, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I'd probably choose SFO or even SJC if you can, the 777 to SEA isn't great for CW as I am sure you know.

You're only in the air for about 1.15 SFO-PDX so is it the TPs or space you're concerned about ?
Thanks @MikeFly

I don't think I can collect TPs with AS? Was just wanting comfort and space.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by EdiFrank
Dates are 1/6 - 8/6. I am using ITA Matrix for searches. It seems to give outbound SFO or SEA and return only via SEA. Even if I select SEA for outbound and inbound I still get economy for the last leg ...
I've only had a quick play on ITA, but I think that you have an availability problem on the SFO-PDX. I get the same results if booking from LHR onto the same domestic flight; if you see ex-LHR itineraries that book into business or first on the domestic, I think they must be on different flights.

That SEA-PDX flight looks like it's a QX-operated flight on a Dash-8. That might be a single-class aircraft.

It sounds like what you need to do is to look at EF availability displays to find flights that have availability in the booking class(es) that you want.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:14 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I've only had a quick play on ITA, but I think that you have an availability problem on the SFO-PDX. I get the same results if booking from LHR onto the same domestic flight; if you see ex-LHR itineraries that book into business or first on the domestic, I think they must be on different flights.

That SEA-PDX flight looks like it's a QX-operated flight on a Dash-8. That might be a single-class aircraft.

It sounds like what you need to do is to look at EF availability displays to find flights that have availability in the booking class(es) that you want.
As far as I know the AS/QX Dash-8’s are all single class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.