Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reward availability closer to departure?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, BA
Reward availability closer to departure?

Hi flyertalk,

I'm looking for reward availability on LHR-DME which is not available in all classes (Z, U, X and gold only V).

There's three daily flights that look quite busy.
F6 A6 J7 C7 D7 R6 I3 W5 E5 T0 Y9 B7 H1 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 Y9 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
J9 C9 D9 R9 I6 Y9 B9 H9 K6 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

There's a few months until departure so I'm hoping reward availability opens up, particularly on the last flight which is the least busy.
What factors influence reward availability being available and how likely is this to happen closer to departure?
Or should I suck it up and leverage a double avios priority reward?

Cash fare is 570 GBP for WT which is out of the question.

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
When are you looking for? There's multiple other airlines selling Y for around £150 (although one stops...)
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, BA
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
When are you looking for? There's multiple other airlines selling Y for around £150 (although one stops...)
Thanks for the reply. It's June/July during the World Cup so I doubt availability would open due to someone cancelling.
Best I'm seeing is 193 with a overnight in FRA or MUC. If the ~150 doesn't involve an overnight then I'd be very keen!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A Gold Priority Reward for double Avios, unlike normal redemptions, gets a full refund if cancelled, so what I would do, within the confines of the question, is book it, and then if conventional availability shows up then book that as well (so you'll need enough Avios for this) and then cancel the GPR, so long as that is done 24 hours before departure. You may need to remind the agent about the free cancellation of GPRs. GPRs have to be booked 30 days out, and for obvious reasons, if this was a return trip it may be better to book as singles provided this doesn't have a bad effect on the cash component.

Redemption availability does come up at the last moment. I've been tracking BOS flights tomorrow and today a CW seat became available on 1 May which wasn't there yesterday. 3 or 4 days out seems a good time for this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:10 am

Based on zero facts or data, I'd be surprised if last minute seats are released during the World Cup period. I suspect the lack of seats now in the low cost buckets are due to BA expecting to sell out at the higher fares.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Based on zero facts or data, I'd be surprised if last minute seats are released during the World Cup period. I suspect the lack of seats now in the low cost buckets are due to BA expecting to sell out at the higher fares.
I’d agree with this. If England manage to actually get out of the group into the knockout stages, there’s likely to be a flood of people suddenly wanting to fly to Russia and prepared to pay for it.

Something similar happened in 2003 with the rugby World Cup. When England got to the final, every available seat on any conceivable routing to Sydney just went overnight.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

I’d agree with this. If England manage to actually get out of the group into the knockout stages, there’s likely to be a flood of people suddenly wanting to fly to Russia and prepared to pay for it.

Something similar happened in 2003 with the rugby World Cup. When England got to the final, every available seat on any conceivable routing to Sydney just went overnight.

Don't forget you need a Visa to enter Russia, which will stop most people travelling last minute if England progress.

The Visa waiver during the tournament only applies to those that have match tickets which means you won't get the usual hordes turning up on spec hoping to find a match ticket locally.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Ahh forgot about that. Obvs it was easier to get an ETA for Australia back then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.