Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Privacy & disclosure of redemption PNRs to other members of Household Accounts.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

Just noticed an oddity regarding redeeming Avios as Head of Household.

Looking at the debit entries on the accounts of the other Household members :

1) For a Part-Pay-With-Avios, it says "Avios part-payment Booking Reference: PNRPNR Part-payment for flight"
2) For a pure Avios redemption, it says "Redemption"

In the first, the PNR is disclosed to Household members. In the second, it is withheld. Any ideas why this is ?

Would anyone consider the disclosure of a PNR to other Household members who have nothing to do with a booking as a privacy breach ?

If you're wanting to keep a trip a secret, you'd better not use Part-Pay ....
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I think it’s not privacy breach given it’s a household haha, haven’t read through complete t and c but would expect that to be covered.
if I wanna keep secret I pay with a card
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Would anyone consider the disclosure of a PNR to other Household members who have nothing to do with a booking as a privacy breach ?

If you're wanting to keep a trip a secret, you'd better not use Part-Pay ....
In my view, the other HHA members all have something to do with the booking: they have partly paid for it. I would also expect that if they called to find out what they'd part-paid for, when they see a full redemption on their account, BA would have to say something to them about how/why their Avios have been used.

If you're wanting to keep a trip a secret, you're better off not being in a HHA.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
In the first, the PNR is disclosed to Household members. In the second, it is withheld. Any ideas why this is ?
To my mind it'd be useful to have the PNR in all redemption/redeposit activity, especially when there's several of them and from a HHA where the amounts aren't necessarily intuitive.

Knowing somewhat about the methods behind the scenes used to deduct the Avios, I do know that they're different for awards and part pay, with awards using an older method that on a basic level moves Avios in or out of an account (redemption/redeposit activity) while the part pay uses a newer method that accounts for the transaction in more detail and recharges part of the cost to an IAG accounting line.

Different internal methods for deducting the Avios ended up with different entries on the statement. If the older method can be updated to include more detail I imagine it isn't high on a list of priorities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.