Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR or LGW - LAS in J

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:27 am
Original Poster

LHR or LGW - LAS in J

I thought there was a post on this but couldn’t find it so apologies if there is. I’m looking to fly to Vegas from DUB in July. With the 744 interior upgrades & the 777 Gatwick improvements, would people suggest I go via LHR or LGW?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
No brainer - UD from LHR and the great lounge crawl of T3

However, interior upgrades very unlikely by Jul - and I don't think CW will get any benefit
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
LHR every time
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Stick with LHR as per @mikeyfly. Great lounges at T3 to browse.

Refurbed aircraft are unlikely on that route.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

64K with a loaded iPad - perfect!

Forgot to say you'll also get the new style F&B and bedding from LHR to LAS
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Perfect. Thanks everyone. I’d have thought UD alright, regardless of interior upgrade. I haven’t had the chance to try the new F&B yet either which will be a bonus. Flew to LAS last week in Virgin Upper & wasn’t all that impressed with the onboard product
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Having done both, another vote for LHR. If TP are a consideration then there are some creative ways to get there too I'm off there at the weekend, via JFK and LAX
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would also go with LHR. I'm trying to think of some reasonable counter arguments for LGW, and probably the best I can come up with is if LGW was a fair bit cheaper, you were connecting in via LGW, or the schedule worked better. LGW is a fairly slick and compact operation, friendly staff (including in security) and friendly crew, and with the new lounges it could be a stress-free start to your trip. But that is largely clutching at straws. In other cabins, and assuming a refreshed IFE, then it may be a closer call.
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another consideration is the LGW service arrives nice and early (1pm?) and so if it was a short break - could arrive early from LGW and leave late to LHR....

I'd still definitely take LHR though as I've mentioned above !
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
LGW 777? Go LHR!!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Might also add the LHR flight is better timed for jetlag (arriving later) to hit the hay... or the slots
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver (clawing back to Gold!), Honours Gold, IHG Platinum, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond
I've done both, and as others do, much prefer LHR. Can't beat upstairs on the 747.
Having said that, I've just redeemed for 2 seats (on a 241) in J from LGW - needs must with availability. I'll suffer the 777.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
personally I prefer LGW out purely as I prefer to leave/arrive earlier. Also, have been delayed on the later LHR flight more times then I care to mention.

Either than or the early LAX flight ex-LHR and connect from there.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
For a sussex boy like myself the argument hs to be compelling for LHR.

Yes, the UD is a win, as is the bedding but the timings are not so good for mr.

I can leave Vegas on Sunday and be at my office by noon on Monday, where as from LHR I will likely be battling the M25 and won’t be home until 7pm.

Also the outbound arrives at a time where one can still enjoy some pool time before an evening out.

The lounges at T3 are good but after they have been done, they have been, well, done. And the First lounge at LGW is actually very nice (better IMO than any BA lounge at LHR)

Also, although the lounges may be a benefit when flying out of T3 (unless in F and want a bit of CCR), for those coming via the M25 from the south, that’s another 15 minutes in the car over T5.

And, LGW is usually a couple of quid cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.