Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware LATAM grabbing your BA points !!

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by canopus
An update, After contacting Latem via their webform & follow up emails I submitted all my documentation scanned boarding passes etc a week ago, as yet no response.

I guess there must be a process by which a "new" frequent flyer account is generated under some circumstances

Will let you know how things progress as clearly this is a complex process !
Hi canopus, just wondered how you're getting on with this? I recently completed a 11 sector trip on LATAM from the UK down to the Falkland Islands. Despite religiously asking every check-in agent to ensure our BAEC numbers were on the system, and being satisfied that they also appeared on our boarding passes, not a single sector has automatically posted to our BAEC accounts. I've grudgingly filled out missing Avios claims on BAEC (22 in total, including my wife!), and every single one was rejected with no explanation. The flights were 2-3 weeks ago. If it was a couple of sectors I honestly wouldn't bother taking it further, but 11 sectors each should have equated to a decent pile of TP/Avios.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by AllTheNines
Hi canopus, just wondered how you're getting on with this? I recently completed a 11 sector trip on LATAM from the UK down to the Falkland Islands. Despite religiously asking every check-in agent to ensure our BAEC numbers were on the system, and being satisfied that they also appeared on our boarding passes, not a single sector has automatically posted to our BAEC accounts. I've grudgingly filled out missing Avios claims on BAEC (22 in total, including my wife!), and every single one was rejected with no explanation. The flights were 2-3 weeks ago. If it was a couple of sectors I honestly wouldn't bother taking it further, but 11 sectors each should have equated to a decent pile of TP/Avios.
PM @BAMissingAvios. It'll probably get you a clearer, faster result (hopefully a good one ^).
Old May 9, 2018, 9:35 am

I'm just curious - would it ever be appropriate to do a credit card chargeback on these cases where the airlines reject your claim without reason?

I've luckily never been in this situation, but I'm just curious on whether the CC companies would see miles/tier points as part of the product and significant enough. My instinct is they would.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by fishfish
I'm just curious - would it ever be appropriate to do a credit card chargeback on these cases where the airlines reject your claim without reason?

…I'm just curious on whether the CC companies would see miles/tier points as part of the product and significant enough.
I doubt it, since the main point of purchasing transportation is to be able to get somewhere. The earning of points is a reward/benefit for purchasing the transportation (yes, people do mileage runs etc.) but you have to consume the product to get the benefit. Once consumed, what value does the missing feature/benefit of the product have out of the otherwise fulfilled contract for carriage?
Old May 9, 2018, 11:29 am

Once you've consumed one part of the product (the transportation), you are still missing the other. And that part does have some real value, and there are ways of calculating a monetary value for them (certainly the miles, the tier points less so). There is the subtlety that you wouldn't get the second part of the product if you didn't consume the first, which sort of suggests it's not the product but a reward for buying the product as you say. But on balance my instinct is that your miles/tier points are very much part of what you're paying for, and if you're not getting something then your CC company should expect to get involved. I'm curious because I can imagine they'd absolutely hate it, having to make a judgement on whether some obscure fare is eligible for miles/tier points depending on which FF scheme... which airline issued the ticket... whether a TA was involved... who operated the flight... it's a minefield for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.