Wiki Posts
Search

Same plane turn around and bag drop

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Same plane turn around and bag drop

We are traveling CPH/LHR/MIA/LHR Oct-Dec this year. We have to get to CPH first and I am looking at the 0812 leaving LHR at 6:40am. Is this a same plane turn around with the 0813 that leaves CPH at 10:30am? That last segment is the one we are booked on. Would like to avoid an overnight in CPH if at all possible.
We are then traveling to MIA with AA, can we go to T3 first at say 5am to drop our luggage with them? Going on a cruise and will probably have 3 suitcases to lug around. Or is there another way of doing this.
TIA
EDIT forgot to mention the AA flight isn't until 14:15
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Very quick reply but yes to all your questions
moneypooraviosrich likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I suspect can do the plan you outlined, though it's really a question for the AA board as to whether you can check in bags for the second flight before the first flight. I suspect you can - even in other circumstances you can't do so - since the CPH sector would be on another computer system to AA but that's just a guess. You don't have a lot of time there though, since you will then need to get over to T5. Your other option would be to put your bags into the T5 left luggage shop in Arrivals before the CPH sector or even the night before, and collect them by travelling landside between the BA and AA sectors, assuming you can use the e-gates.

It is a true back to back. How to find this out? Just use Flightradar24 for a recent example of the same flight sequence and see the aircraft registration that operated the out and inbound services.
moneypooraviosrich likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I suspect can do the plan you outlined, though it's really a question for the AA board as to whether you can check in bags for the second flight before the first flight. I suspect you can - even in other circumstances you can't do so - since the CPH sector would be on another computer system to AA but that's just a guess. You don't have a lot of time there though, since you will then need to get over to T5. Your other option would be to put your bags into the T5 left luggage shop in Arrivals before the CPH sector or even the night before, and collect them by travelling landside between the BA and AA sectors, assuming you can use the e-gates.

It is a true back to back. How to find this out? Just use Flightradar24 for a recent example of the same flight sequence and see the aircraft registration that operated the out and inbound services.
Yes I was hoping there would be somewhere to store luggage if plan A doesnt work. I have US passport but my wife has UK so we usually pick which line is shortest at immigration. We have 3 hours so unless the inbound is late we should have time to collect luggage landside at T5 (assuming the CPH flight goes to T5) and get over to T3. Then we would be getting the Heathrow Express?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by moneypooraviosrich
Yes I was hoping there would be somewhere to store luggage if plan A doesnt work. I have US passport but my wife has UK so we usually pick which line is shortest at immigration. We have 3 hours so unless the inbound is late we should have time to collect luggage landside at T5 (assuming the CPH flight goes to T5) and get over to T3. Then we would be getting the Heathrow Express?
Probably. What you can do there is watch the monitors over the HEX ticket office and it if says the next train is 3 to 10 minutes then use HEX, more than that (or it is blank) go to the tube. Since it's some time off I would suggest the Registered Traveller scheme so you can use the e-gates.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:14 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Will the same plan work, even if the longhaul flight is BA?

A. Flying on a one-way ticket LHR-CPH
B. Then originating on a separate ticket CPH-LHR-(usa). All segments are on BA.

Is is possible to check a suitcase at LHR, for the LHR-(usa) segment, before embarking on the LHR-CPH flight?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CloudCoder

Is is possible to check a suitcase at LHR, for the LHR-(usa) segment, before embarking on the LHR-CPH flight?
yes that should be fine. I have done it recently. There is the odd story of an agent being difficult but they seem few and far between now. The backup plan is just to leave it at left luggage (ground floor opposite Giraffe) and then retrieve it and check it after arriving back from CPH.
CloudCoder likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by CloudCoder

Should be no problem. Actually asked about it at the First checkin the other day for an upcoming trip. We can check our bags in for the UK-US sector from 5am, then do our UK-EU-UK sectors. The agent seemed to be fully aware of such maneuvers.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:11 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
1st Ticket: LHR-CPH

2nd Ticket: CPH-LHR-(usa)-LHR-CPH

Question: upon returning from the USA, is it possible to check a suitcase and retrieve it at LHR?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We have decided to just overnight at CPH before hand using a RFS and an IHG reward night.
I had read a few stories on here of pax dropping bags off before a positioning flight, that’s why I suggested it.
i posted on the AA board and the replies seemed to suggest I was mad for flying somewhere only to return to the original departure place.. ��
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moneypooraviosrich
Thanks everyone. We have decided to just overnight at CPH before hand using a RFS and an IHG reward night.
I had read a few stories on here of pax dropping bags off before a positioning flight, that’s why I suggested it.
i posted on the AA board and the replies seemed to suggest I was mad for flying somewhere only to return to the original departure place.. ��
CPH is actually one of the places which is very very easy to do a b2b - you basically walk off the plane in to the corridor, turn left, and back in to the gate after a bp check. Here is a (very poor) drawing I did a while ago, it's still the same https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25719699-post672.html

I really wouldn't stay overnight unless you want to break your journey and have a rest. The people on the AA board are wrong.

In terms of your bag you can bag drop before going to CPH if you were doing LHR-CPH and CPH-LHR-(usa) on the same day. However, if you are doing LHR-CPH on day 1 and then doing CPH-LHR-(usa) you can't do it anymore. At T5 you can only check bags in for flights departing on the same day. So the other consequence of overnighting in CPH is you have to take your bags with you, or leave them at left luggae in T5 (ground floor landside opposite Giraffe) and have enough time to retrieve and check them in between arriving from CPH and departing on your LHR-(usa) flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.