Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South America trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: BA; LH; AF
I’ve flown LIM-EZE more than I have EZE-LIM, but all on LAN, pre LATAM, and found it to be a frustrating flight: too short for a proper sleep; too long for a short haul service.
Agree with others here saying that flying into and out of AEP is preferable for domestic/regional flights, it’s an easy to navigate airport and much easier to get into town from than EZE.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Surely going to Madrid and flying out on Iberia is your best bet. You are looking at around £350-400pp in tax savings and a lot of the time the avios is similar to a redemption with a 241 as Iberia have different calenders and lower rates.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by omk298
​​​​​​I'd heard that fuel surcharges were illegal in Brazil, but when I booked GRU-LHR one way in F I got charged the full array of "fees", so assumed that I was wrong. Is there something to point to that makes the rule clear?

I have subsequently combined that booking into a 241 voucher, by getting half the Avios refunded, which I suspect might affect things, although that didn't affect the surcharge.
Definitely no fuel surcharges out of Brazil, but BA tries to extract it from passengers regardless. Try booking by phone, if quoted the fuel surcharge say they should not charge it, it usually does the trick. The ticket must start from Brazil to qualify, so book one-way.
Avios availability on LATAM is a strange beast, I could not find any logic in it. I've seen single dates available for months up to the last minute, while all other dates around were not available. Sometimes they suddenly open availability for all flights, sometimes they disappear all at once overnight.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by TheWiseOne
Surely going to Madrid and flying out on Iberia is your best bet. You are looking at around £350-400pp in tax savings and a lot of the time the avios is similar to a redemption with a 241 as Iberia have different calenders and lower rates.
I have a BA companion voucher which I need to use for this trip
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I am just in Asuncion having visited Peru, Sao, Mexico, and next Santiago. Paraguay has always been on my list for its lack of visitors (I love unspoilt places). I will definitely be coming back and hope to get to Uruguay and Bolivia next too
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
A top tip I used for getting the LATAM redemptions working was to use a classic award search on Qantas.com it will show you a full month calendar view of when is available if you see availability then punch it direct into ba.com and it should find it.

I had the availability issues and no amount of scrolling through dates worked but punching directly a flight u could see in qantas worked. Some IT glitch. We are exAMS into GRU and GIG to OSL on the way back and managed 6 intra South America flights on LATAM for 2 of us.
neuromancer and satnammann like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cgtechuk
A top tip I used for getting the LATAM redemptions working was to use a classic award search on Qantas.com it will show you a full month calendar view of when is available if you see availability then punch it direct into ba.com and it should find it.

I had the availability issues and no amount of scrolling through dates worked but punching directly a flight u could see in qantas worked. Some IT glitch. We are exAMS into GRU and GIG to OSL on the way back and managed 6 intra South America flights on LATAM for 2 of us.
Please can you send me the link, I assume i will need an account setup with Qantas?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
hi there its just qantas,com you need to create a frequent flyer act but that takes 5 minutes the you go to new flight search then select pay using miles
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by satnammann

I have a BA companion voucher which I need to use for this trip
Go and book via MAD and collect Avios for next voucher....use this voucher to and from Madrid with BA! Get the 777. 😉😋
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by neuromancer
Definitely no fuel surcharges out of Brazil, but BA tries to extract it from passengers regardless. Try booking by phone, if quoted the fuel surcharge say they should not charge it, it usually does the trick. The ticket must start from Brazil to qualify, so book one-way.
Avios availability on LATAM is a strange beast, I could not find any logic in it. I've seen single dates available for months up to the last minute, while all other dates around were not available. Sometimes they suddenly open availability for all flights, sometimes they disappear all at once overnight.
Interesting. I’ve booked a one way J reward thicket two months ago starting in GRU, BA charged the fuel surcharge. I called them and they refused to take it out.

Apparently TAP is also charging it from tickets originating in Brazil.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Where does it quote whether or not fuel surcharge was applied.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

hi I am flying out of Lima to Rio at 0925 next April, should I get a late flight from Cusco to Lima the night before and stay at the airport or a very early flight on the day of our Lima flight.

Are flights reliable from Cusco via Latam or LCP?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cgtechuk
hi there its just qantas,com you need to create a frequent flyer act but that takes 5 minutes the you go to new flight search then select pay using miles
Hi I have created an account but it doesnt recognise LIMA or Cusco?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.