Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Rules for upgrading with Avios multi-sector?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat

I am flying LAX-LHR-HKG and return at the end of next month and I’m booked in Premium Economy (T Class).

I have a question how to use Avios to upgrade and the British Airways phone people seem to be absolutely clueless how to answer my questions.

If an upgrade is available LHR-HKG only, how much does it cost to upgrade with Avios? If both LAX-LHR and LHR-HKG sectors are available, how much does it cost to upgrade with Avios?
If I grab LHR-HKG upgrade first with Avios, and later on LAX-LHR upgrade space opens, how does it work if I want to grab that upgrade later? Do I have to upgrade each leg separately or can I just pay a combined upgrade price?

I’ve asked this question about 10 times on the phone with BA and the agent just somehow cannot comprehend what my question is.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:38 pm

Each flights will be separate, even if upgrade availability is available on both flights, the cost will be flight 1 upgrade + flight 2 upgrade
the dashboard has the following post which may help
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27691539-post7.html
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by caz312
Each flights will be separate, even if upgrade availability is available on both flights, the cost will be flight 1 upgrade + flight 2 upgrade
the dashboard has the following post which may help
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27691539-post7.html
Wow, that wiki is so useful. I can’t believe the BA Agents could not seem to understand my question. I couldn’t believe how many times I had to ask if it was a per-direction or a per-sector pricing. The agent kept telling me, sector 1 does not have availability, sector 2 does. I kept asking again and again how the pricing structure worked (per direction or per sector), and then he started telling me that was company confidential stuff and he couldn’t comment.

British Airways service leaves a bad taste for me. Even on American Airlines’ bad days, they aren’t nearly as bad as this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Have a look at this thread from post 157 onwards where a similar question was asked Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

The cost is the avios difference between the cost of a reward flight in WTP and CW. Extra costs going from WTP to CW will be mostly extra carrier surcharge. You can UuA one leg now and then the other later if availability shows, just call BAEC to do it.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
I kept asking again and again how the pricing structure worked (per direction or per sector),

It's per sector on BA. You're probably more used to the system like UA (used to?) have, where the Upgrade cost was the A-Z upgrade cost, regardless of how many sectors A-Z contained. It seemed to work well for them. Don't know if they still do it.

I often fly MAN-LHR-Somewhere and if I want to UuA the Long Haul LHR-Somewhere, the MAN-LHR sector doesn't automatically receive an upgrade - I'd have to pay more Avios for that sector.

and then he started telling me that was company confidential stuff and he couldn’t comment.
I read that as "I don't really know or understand how it works, so I'm going to make up some excuse about confidentiality".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.