Wiki Posts
Search

B747 or A380 in First to Miami?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
B747 or A380 in First to Miami?

Mrs DtB and I are going to Miami next March, this has both the 747 and the A380 on the route. Neither of us have flown in First before, we would like to experience both aircraft, which would be better for the day flight and which would be better for the night flight and why ?

Thanks

DtB
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
A380 F in 1A (G-XLEG, LHR->SFO) was new(ish), spacious, and generally pleasant - my main criticism was that it was too hot to sleep in (eventually I complained and a small adjustment was made). Far far nicer than the 777 (I think) I flew in LHR->BOS, which literally had things falling apart was more cramped, and very tired. I've not flown in a 747 in F for a long while (I only fly F when I can get it cheaper than J, which bizarrely happens occasionally), so I can't comment on that, but I'd suggest you find out how recently the 747 was refurbished - if it's anything like the 777 I flew in, I'd suggest doing both legs in the A380.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: Some
A380 F is the best experience BA offers - I'd take that for both the day flight and the night flight if the timing works. If you've flown upper deck on the 747 (which I assume you have as CCR) there's nothing particularly special about the 747 F hard product. If you're desperate to try both, I'd take the A380 for the longer eastbound daytime flight whilst you're awake to enjoy it and the 747 for the shorter overnight return.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
the A380 F seat is the most spacious seat and I think the best (I prefer it over the 789) so it should win.

having said that, there's something special about the nose especially if you could both get 1A and 1K.

either way, it'll be a great flight.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver IHG Platinum Elite
I have to agree that the A380 in First is the best experience available from BA. The 747 seems so noisy and cramped in comparison. 1A and 1K on the 747 is very private and it is easy to talk to better half during the flight. Important to
experience both so would suggests the 747 out and the A380 back so as to avoid the disappointment of flying in the 747 after the A380.

Out of curiosity, how how did you get to Gold For Life without ever flying in the 747? Do BA offer bonus points to flying in the ‘orrible 777s?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
He said he’s never flown in F as opposed to on a 747.

To get enough points for GFL and never have had an opup to F must mean he’s had a horrendous number of flights in the back, or been horrendously unlucky in J
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Going against the grain here. I'd say take the 747 going east if you can get 1AK. That way you get to enjoy the forward views and you'll be able to talk / interact with each other throughout the flight. On the way back take the 380 for the better sleep experience.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
He said he’s never flown in F as opposed to on a 747.

To get enough points for GFL and never have had an opup to F must mean he’s had a horrendous number of flights in the back, or been horrendously unlucky in J
for the records, I’ve been GGL /ccr for years and have never had a single long haul upgrade on ba. I’ve travelled in f when I’ve booked it but it’s still a small minority of my travels and if I hadn’t booked I would have presumably never experienced ba f either.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
In terms of best experience I'd take the A380 in both directions, though I agree that the nose of the 744 is something to experience at least once, while it's still around.

BTW, I can't see where the OP says he is GFL, it's not in the post and the profile says GGL, not GFL

Originally Posted by orbitmic

for the records, I’ve been GGL /ccr for years and have never had a single long haul upgrade on ba. I’ve travelled in f when I’ve booked it but it’s still a small minority of my travels and if I hadn’t booked I would have presumably never experienced ba f either.
Wow, you must be pretty unlucky though I guess it's also quite route-dependent. Over the years for me, F op-ups were much thinner on the ground on routes like JFK and LAX, more common elsewhere.
Down the back likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:03 pm

I have not flown the a380 with ba. However I have flown f on the 380 with Singapore. I love the 747 F on BA. while 1a &1k are optimal, mrs.jmj and I often do 2a & 2k. Flying in the nose of a 747 is a very unique experience. YMMV
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Oaxaca

Wow, you must be pretty unlucky though I guess it's also quite route-dependent. Over the years for me, F op-ups were much thinner on the ground on routes like JFK and LAX, more common elsewhere.
Yep. I do indeed do a lot of routes with busy f but not only, and not just no upgrade to f, no long haul upgrade from/to any travel class! Quite a few short haul ones but I don’t care about them much.

flying to Mia and back in wt+ next month (aa ticket so couldn’t upgrade) so that would be perfect timing to score my first one!!! 🙂
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Going against the grain here. I'd say take the 747 going east if you can get 1AK. That way you get to enjoy the forward views and you'll be able to talk / interact with each other throughout the flight. On the way back take the 380 for the better sleep experience.
maybe im against the grain her but my wife and I rarely talk while we fly. Yes we want to be proximate to each other but we never try to engage in an extended conversation or discussion like we were at a restaurant. I’d always take the best seating option individually. I agree everyone should experience 1AK in a 747 but the 380 in F is by far the better option.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: BA GGL
I'm actually with you on that. When my partner and I get on a long haul flight we tend to go our separate ways and ignore each other, probably because we spend so much time in the air, so it's no longer a novelty. She generally eats, has her bed made up and goes straight to sleep, I often work / watch a film etc. Only exception being in 1A and K on the 747, when we occasionally acknowledge each other's presence
cosmo74 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Glad to see there are other people who travel together but independently, I was starting to think we were a bit odd that we don't always want to sit together (particularly after my "would you mind swapping seats" thread). Me and t'other half both like window seats, so in F (given that one of us is Gold, one of us is Silver) we usually go for something like 1A/2A, have pre-dinner drinks together, then have dinner / watch movies / sleep on our own.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
I have done this route recently.
I would take the 747 out purely because the timing is better meaning you have the afternoon in Miami. Inbound take the A380 as much more spacious in F and for me the timing is better to get a better nights sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.