Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Redeeming on FlyBe using Avios and supplementary luggage question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass

I couldn’t find the exact answer to this using the search so please forgive the new topic.

I need to get the 4 of us from BHX - AMS. I am assuming that redemption on FlyBe is possible via BAEC and that this is a phone call job to check availability and book?

Secondly, older posts suggest that redemptions include 1 piece of luggage? Is this still 20kg? Can one buy additional baggage allowance as the ultimate destination will be Canada and we’ll have the ski gear with us?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The Flybe availability should be visible online - usually after all/any BA options and I'm not aware of any issues there unless there was something else behind your question? However Flybe only grant Avios availability for their lowest fare buckets, so by the time you do the maths it may not be good use of Avios, it may work out at below 1p per Avios.

It's 23 kgs on Flybe, one bag. If you want more then you'll have to contact Flybe to pay for it. I don't think it can be done online by dint of being an Avios booking, but the Flybe contact centre can do it. It's an extra £2 or £3 over the online charge but still cheaper than at the airport. However note that Flybe allow a second bag at £24 / £26 (£40 at the airport), anything more than that is paid for at the airport at an eye watering £15 per kilo!

https://www.flybe.com/terms/tariff/
(Flymore tariff).
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Thank you CWS as always ^
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Avios bookings on Flybe used to come with 1 bag but that is no longer I believe, now they are hand baggage only (and making a new booking on ba.com shows this too).
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Airprox
Avios bookings on Flybe used to come with 1 bag but that is no longer, now they are hand baggage only.
Has that changed recently? This page seems to suggest it's still 1 checked bag? Or is that only if booked under the BA codeshare - which of course you wouldn't?

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances

Flybe
If you're an Executive Club Member you can have one 23kg bag included in your reward flight costs when you're travelling with our partner Flybe*.

*Note 20kg if booked prior to 12 May 2017.

Unfortunately, due to different systems being used we're currently not able to display your baggage allowance when you make or view your booking on ba.com or via our contact centres.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Avios bookings on Flybe used to come with 1 bag but that is no longer I believe, now they are hand baggage only (and making a new booking on ba.com shows this too).
No, I think that's an error on the BA.com side (though anyone with recent direct experience since February 2018 please correct me). It shows on Flybe as allowing one bag, which means 23 kgs for them at the check-in and their MMB, though the e-ticket from BA says 20 kgs. Avios.com - which uses the same bucket and ticketing process - says "1 bag" very clearly during the booking process and 20 kgs in the FAQ.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps

Maybe the give you a bag for free when you turn up at the desk? It used to show the bag allowance correctly, the same as with other avios partners.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:55 am

Maybe the give you a bag for free when you turn up at the desk?
I still think that's a bug which has been there a while, see links below, there are several other threads. Avios.com shows baggage is included and it goes via the same routing. The e-ticket indicates baggage, certainly as of 20 February 2018.

Luggage on Flybe flights booked with Avios (2017)
Flybe with Avios and Baggage (2016)
Baggage allowance on Flybe redemptions (2015)
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Blue :(
It's a very well know bug, You get a bag at 23kg. If you want to be 100% sure you can ask Flybe on twitter to confirm it, That's what I did.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
How can you book Flybe flights from SOU to EDI on Ba.com. My parents want to do this living in Southampton and I was going to set them up with an Avios account on my next visit and transfer the Avios across but in light of the recent changes can’t do this anymore.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Poster

I can’t find BHX-AMS on BA.com. Going to try via my Avios.com account later to see if I can see the availability. Failing that I’m going to phone up.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Is that no availability at all on that route or just none on the dates you wanted ?

iv used Flybe redemptions before as well as a combined BE/BA redemption and not had any issues with checked bags.

You wont be able to add bags via the BE website, however the call centre and airport staff will.

cs
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Just don’t go paying for a bag on an award ticket because it will be difficult to get your money back later. BAEC award tickets definitely have a baggage allowance.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:13 pm

I just booked a Flybe ticket using BA Avios - both the eticket and Flybe "Manage Booking" show that it is hand baggage only with an option to pay for hold luggage. But https://www.britishairways.com/en-ca...age-allowances still states:

If you're an Executive Club Member you can have one 23kg bag included in your reward flight costs when you're travelling with our partner Flybe*.

*Note 20kg if booked prior to 12 May 2017.

Unfortunately, due to different systems being used we're currently not able to display your baggage allowance when you make or view your booking on ba.com or via our contact centres.

I've contacted BA via twitter to see what's going on.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Amazing IT

you do get one free hold bag

cs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.