Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

QF cancelled - BA ticket - a few questions...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

A background first: Booked BA ticket BNE-SIN-LHR. The BNE-SIN segment is on QF metal and that has been cancelled. I will miss my connection on BA16. Qantas have now rebooked me via SYD, HND to LHR the next day. They have given me (and 300 others) hotel and hotel credit.

So I want someone's advice/knowledge on the following:

1. Can I claim EC261 as it's a BA ticket? Qantas admit it's an engineering issue and the plane simply can't be used.
2. If yes, is it a choice between that OR my travel insurance payout on delays? Or can I claim both?
3. If I do claim EC261, I assume I still do it thru BA and they take 'responsibility' for the faulty plane.

Anyt advice appreciated!
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Pretty sure EC261 depends on the operating not he ticketing carrier. So no, if that’s the case.
Cymro likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PAL62V
A background first: Booked BA ticket BNE-SIN-LHR. The BNE-SIN segment is on QF metal and that has been cancelled. I will miss my connection on BA16. Qantas have now rebooked me via SYD, HND to LHR the next day. They have given me (and 300 others) hotel and hotel credit.
And the possible reason here on the QF forum QF123 BNE-AKL Engine Issue On Take Off
Wonder how many passengers on the QF BNE-SIN flight

Is HND to LHR now on BA?

BA thread The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 14, 2018 at 10:42 pm
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The answer to (1) is no - BNE-SIN is not a route which is covered under EC261

If your travel insurance has provision for compensation for delays, then you may well be able to claim on it
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
And the possible reason here on the QF forum QF123 BNE-AKL Engine Issue On Take Off
Wonder how many passengers on the QF BNE-SIN flight

Is HND to LHR now on BA?

BA thread The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
It was a full flight. Over 300 pax. HND-LHR is on BA8.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The answer to (1) is no - BNE-SIN is not a route which is covered under EC261
Agreed, however I was under the impression that EC261 covers you for any EU-ticketed flight which, in this case, forms part of the full flight to an EU destination. Or am I wrong and that it simply covers sectors where the flight begins or ends in the EU??
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:06 pm

One of those messy situations involving more than one carrier but I think OP will be out of luck on this one.

EC261 is the responsibility of the operating air carrier, not the ticketing airline. In this case it was QF that caused the delay. However had it been QF all the way to the UK then inbound flights to the UK on non EC airlines are not covered anyway.

If the booked BA flight left on time without the OP onboard I can't see BA offering anything. As far as BA 'taking responsibility' for the faulty plane - why would they?

I would refer it to my travel insurers.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:09 pm

Agreed, however I was under the impression that EC261 covers you for any EU-ticketed flight which, in this case, forms part of the full flight to an EU destination. Or am I wrong and that it simply covers sectors where the flight begins or ends in the EU??
I'm afraid that is a wrong impression then.

It covers flights leaving the UK on all airlines, and flights arriving in the UK on an EC carrier. And it applies to the operating air carrier, not the ticketing one.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simons1
I'm afraid that is a wrong impression then.

It covers flights leaving the UK on all airlines, and flights arriving in the UK on an EC carrier. And it applies to the operating air carrier, not the ticketing one.

OK, thanks for clarifying. That's the sort of info I was after.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Just going one step further on this, the rebooked flights are showing in MMB as full Y fares (as against my lower tier bucket that I paid for). The TPs have jumped by about 150%. Do you folks reckon I'll actually get them?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Just going one step further on this, the rebooked flights are showing in MMB as full Y fares (as against my lower tier bucket that I paid for). The TPs have jumped by about 150%. Do you folks reckon I'll actually get them?
Keep your head down and dont query anything with the carrier will improve your odds! Certainly dont ring them to enquire
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antichef
Keep your head down and dont query anything with the carrier will improve your odds! Certainly dont ring them to enquire
My thoughts exactly.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by simons1
EC261 is the responsibility of the operating air carrier, not the ticketing airline. In this case it was QF that caused the delay. However had it been QF all the way to the UK then inbound flights to the UK on non EC airlines are not covered anyway.
Even if it was a UK carrier it would not have been covered since BNE-SIN is not a flight to Europe and so not covered under the regulation
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Even if it was a UK carrier it would not have been covered since BNE-SIN is not a flight to Europe and so not covered under the regulation
Yes that is what I already said in post 8.

If it had been one flight from BNE to LHR on BA then it would have been covered (of course in practice I know BA doesn't fly from BNE, so no need to point it out).
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC
I've twice had BA ticketed rebooked journeys jump into a fare bucket that earns more miles than the original booked fare, in fact one of them also awarded more miles on the return even though there was no change to that flight. Definitely do not ask too many questions, and consider carefully not upsetting things with ORC requests as well if that would come into play.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.