Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied travel on BA due to shortened name

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:43 pm

Probably Qatar - it's got the BA code to DPS on and prices /times are usually pretty good
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
I don't know why people just don't use their proper name. Putting Bazza on a ticket rather than Barry would just seem daft.. in this case Nicholas would make sense?
My name is eight or so letters, often shortened to three by others, but I would never dream of just putting down three letters. There is such a thing as doing things properly. I often think the world has become lazy since the advent of the apple mac'.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Frankly, this story does not make much sense.
How could they get their boarding pass four days early.
And if the first name (not the surname) was Nick, why would he have spotted an error.
Surely, BA would have let him board without any problem if the first name was Nick for Nicholas.

And BA would be willing to change a misspelled first name without fee. But the problem might be that it involved a second airline for the flight to DPS. Hence, the constraint might have been this second airline. It is always hard to change a ticket name involving two airlines.
Calchas likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I have to say this doesn't ring true at all. One possible alternate explanation would be that the bloke missed his outbound for some reason, and is trying to use the fact he checked the misspelling of his name a few days before the flight to try to embarrass BA into giving him a refund. But it's early, I got in late, and I'm probably just grumpy and uncharitable.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by deboyzoned
Fake news ?
My favourite article of the week, which was not so much fake news as 'not news', was this furious writer to the Independent:

Originally Posted by Independent
My son turned up at Heathrow for a British Airways flight to Geneva, in order to go skiing, only to discover when he got there that he had booked not for 6 April but 6 June. Despite this being a genuine mistake, they charged him £360 extra to get to Geneva and another £260 to get home five days later. This is on top of his original flight price. An expensive mistake, but I’m furious with BA. He’s 23. How can they get away with this?
Indeed, what shysters BA are!

You can read Simon Calder's diplomatic response here.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Apr 14, 2018 at 6:48 am
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
I don't know why people just don't use their proper name. Putting Bazza on a ticket rather than Barry would just seem daft.. in this case Nicholas would make sense?
My name is eight or so letters, often shortened to three by others, but I would never dream of just putting down three letters. There is such a thing as doing things properly. I often think the world has become lazy since the advent of the apple mac'.
if it’s Benjamin and Ben, I’ve flown countless times on BA and other airlines as Ben with no issue. Indeed my BAEC name was in as Ben for years and it was impossible to change it to Benjamin when making bookings.

Putting it in as Bejnamin on Delta caused more issues when trying to attach an Aeromexico booking to Skymiles however
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
My favourite article of the week, which was not so much fake news as 'not news', was this furious writer to the Independent:

Indeed, what shysters BA are!

You can read Simon Calder's diplomatic response here.
How terrible he had to pay for hisr own mistake... imagine that.
Not sure the point of stating his age, other than to indicate he's an adult. Although young people do feel the world is against them because they're 21, 22, 23, or 24 and a half!
I hope my son at 28 won't be bothering me about such silly mistakes. Further, I'd be embarrassed to complain about something like this. Fake news indeed.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I agree with you. Though AA shortens my name to Chris on their manifest which - as some know and is somewhat unfortunate given my handle - I am allergic to. not an issue when it's just on their piece of paper or iPad thingy but I've had crew saying 'are you ok for me to call you Chris' because that's all they see on the manifest.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

if it’s Benjamin and Ben, I’ve flown countless times on BA and other airlines as Ben with no issue. Indeed my BAEC name was in as Ben for years and it was impossible to change it to Benjamin when making bookings.
Me too. My AA account has me as Ben. Never been an issue.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bisonrav
I have to say this doesn't ring true at all. .
That'll be why they use the word ''claims'' whenever the couple are quoted in the story. At least the comments section balances things up.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
This is always a fear of mine, particularly on ANA (I'm sure other airlines do it as well) where they tend to combine first and middle names with no space in between (i.e. JOHNEDWARD SMITH)
You could leave the middle name out. Never experienced a problem with that.

I don't know why people just don't use their proper name.
There can be plenty of reason for that. The full name being too long is a frequent reason to shorten it.

Shorting Nicholas seems excessive though.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
This is always a fear of mine, particularly on ANA (I'm sure other airlines do it as well) where they tend to combine first and middle names with no space in between (i.e. JOHNEDWARD SMITH)
Surely "JOHNEDWARDDR SMITH"?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Probably Qatar - it's got the BA code to DPS on and prices /times are usually pretty good
Do they fly an F cabin to DPS?

The reported story is obviously inaccurate in several material respects; it may not even be the name that was the true sticking point.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:32 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Calchas
Surely "JOHNEDWARDDR SMITH"?
That's the kind of thing that happens to me. The first time on AY I called them and they charged me for a name change. I haven't bothered since and I have had zero problems on any airline where my Korean clients book trhe flights with my name in this format.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Some info from Business Insider. Flight was indeed operated by QR.

British Airways confirmed to Business Insider that the travel agent also booked Meads onto a flight operated by Qatar Airways, not BA.

Nick said he noticed the nickname error when the boarding passes arrived, and contacted TravelUp to make sure it wouldn't be a problem.

He said he was asked to send photographs of his passport as proof of identity to have his name changed by BA — but that the airline refused.

"I re-sent all the details and BA said it was nothing like the name," he said, adding that the airline said Nick and Nicholas were "completely different."

"It just seems illogical to me," he added. "I didn't know the policies."

He said he even asked the airline if he could buy another seat on the flight — at his own cost — but BA told him there were no tickets left unless he wanted to fork out for first class.

When Business Insider spoke to British Airways, the airline indicated that while the flights were indeed booked with BA, they were actually operated by Qatar Airways — so they were unable to make a change to Meads' booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.