Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Baggage for OW Sapphires

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
BA Baggage for OW Sapphires

I'm assuming, and hope, that this is a computer issue. My bookings in BA Economy as a AA Platinum (Oneworld Saphire) for AUS-LHR and NCL-LHR (sic) are showing 2 bags at 23kg - but the BA phone reps in Newcastle UK and in India eventually confirmed that it should show 32kg each bag. This web page also shows 32kg. https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...lowances#extra - However, decades of airline hassle-experience tells me I will get some newbie at the airport who looks at the information on the booking not at the rules. Then I am really in trouble. Does anyone have any first hand experience on this please? This kind of thing is really annoying.

... addendum .. it seems that this problem has been around for years:
https://loyaltylobby.com/2015/10/12/...-be-incorrect/

Last edited by UAAAPeter; Apr 12, 2018 at 6:00 am Reason: Additional info
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You’ll definitely be allowed 32 kg per checked bag. The weight allowance is 23 kg, and there is normally a heavy bag fee for bags weighing between 23-32 kg. However that fee is waived for OWS/OWE.
RollAnotherFatOne likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Fantastic - many thanks. I never knew this to be honest, which is rather odd for me, having been a AA Platinum or Platinum Executive for decades. Indeed I could have sworn I only get the 2 bags at 23kg/50lb on AA itself. Makes me want to fly BA now, especially on the 747 non-stop AUS-LHR. The last time I checked in with CX as a AA code share connecting to AA metal in HKG I had terrible problems. They only let me do it in the end as they clearly wanted to get this ugly American on the first flight out of Dodge. The supervisor said I could check them this one time as I was such an elite customer - she didn't want to argue any more, particularly when I asked her why on earth I had the bags if AA wouldn't allow them on the outward part of the ticket. She'd had enough of me - and in the US I might have been in police cell at that point. Anyway, it's a huge perk. And it is only bettered by my UA 1K allowance of 3 bags at 32kg/70lbs, and I never get any hassle on that from ANA or any other connecting airline for UA ticket stock. Thank you KARFA.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Rarely had any problems being granted 2x32kg as BA Silver/ OW Sapphire. That includes travelling with a bike as the second bag, both within Europe and on a TATL.

Only GVA were fussy, and even then only once in about four trips. GVA, it seems, are a special case in many ways.
UAAAPeter likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
Fantastic - many thanks. I never knew this to be honest, which is rather odd for me, having been a AA Platinum or Platinum Executive for decades. Indeed I could have sworn I only get the 2 bags at 23kg/50lb on AA itself. Makes me want to fly BA now, especially on the 747 non-stop AUS-LHR. The last time I checked in with CX as a AA code share connecting to AA metal in HKG I had terrible problems. They only let me do it in the end as they clearly wanted to get this ugly American on the first flight out of Dodge. The supervisor said I could check them this one time as I was such an elite customer - she didn't want to argue any more, particularly when I asked her why on earth I had the bags if AA wouldn't allow them on the outward part of the ticket. She'd had enough of me - and in the US I might have been in police cell at that point. Anyway, it's a huge perk. And it is only bettered by my UA 1K allowance of 3 bags at 32kg/70lbs, and I never get any hassle on that from ANA or any other connecting airline for UA ticket stock. Thank you KARFA.
As an AA Platinum you only get 2 bags at 23kg on AA itself when not travelling in J or F (you are correct), but when you were AA ExP with you were always entitled to 3 bags at 32kg each. This has been the policy for years.
UAAAPeter likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.